Linux Audio the way to go!? - Page 152 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2010, 01:57 PM   #1511
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
Soundcheck and others have recommended isolation of USB signal to prevent excess noise from PC to pollute the DAC. I obeyed and use now a simple and cheap method based on microtransformers:

USB Isolator. « Circuits@Home

It works wonderfully.
much better than that, then I would use a fiber optic link based USB isolator/extender...

Last edited by UnixMan; 16th March 2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 16th March 2010, 10:48 PM   #1512
siqdiz is offline siqdiz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Did you try to power your DAC with an independent PSU first? The power in PC is VERY noisy.
The USB DAC is built inside the tube amplifier. Downside is high voltage AC near the DAC. The noise is coming from the PC so separate PSU will not help this. I'm currently building a cirrus logic DAC based on one of the eBay DAC boards. To eliminate noise I will use fiber optic cable.

To get back on-topic; Nothing beats controlling your HTPC from the sofa and be able to access all my music from one centralized location. Removable media is dead. My setup is nothing special, I use the Azalia codec based integrated soundcard, it puts out 44khz bit perfect so this is ideal.
Old 19th March 2010, 02:04 PM   #1513
diyAudio Member

Default Linux Audio Wiki Back

Hi folks.

I just started to get my Linux Audio Wiki back in place.

It'll take a while to get it filled up again of course.

Linux Audio Wiki

I started with a small article about a no frill command line player
approach, which will sound better as most of the stuff you've listened
on any OS. ( phofman that's nothing for you )

Any feedback welcome!

Cheers
Old 20th March 2010, 04:41 PM   #1514
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ackcheng
Thanks Soundcheck!
Old 21st March 2010, 12:38 PM   #1515
JimT is offline JimT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Soundcheck,

Thanks for your work. I will check your wiki regularly. Sound has been my biggest problem with Linux.

Thanks
Jim
Old 21st March 2010, 01:31 PM   #1516
diyAudio Member

Good work on the wiki Soundcheck. All in all this thread has been a great source of info.

I am now using mpd and controlling it through mpod (a free app.though I would pay for it) on an itouch and through minion as a firefox addon. MPD is a challenge but worth it in the end..at the moment I am using Ubuntu Karmic but might well move over to Linux Mint.

The whole process has been a good learning curve for me wrt linux and I now dual boot my new laptop and use it as a development machine for when I am away.

My intention is to use my usb dac but that bit isn't integrated as of yet and I am still using mp3 files. I have settled on dbpoweramp (even though there is a charge) to rip my collection.

My question is how do I get MPD and ALSA to play flac and / or wav files? I keep hunting through the wiki but can't work it out. Maybe one of you MPD linux experts can help?

Thanks.
Old 21st March 2010, 04:19 PM   #1517
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

Would be nice if anybody could try my commandline player example in the Wiki.

I'd be interested if 1. it s manageble to do for the "average" user 2. it delivers the soundquality I am promising. Please try example 8.

@ackcheng: You're running Pure Music ( the current ultimate player (iTunes-plugin) on a MAC) right? Would be nice if you could give it a try.

Today i fixed two amixer init-scripts for the HDSP 9632. This way there is no
need to use HDSPmixer/HDSPconf for initializing the card. This way you can run it in recovery mode. Let me know if you are interested. Later on I'll put them on the Wiki anyhow.

Cheers
Old 21st March 2010, 06:09 PM   #1518
diyAudio Member

So you need a dummy? That's an easy task for me

I just followed your advices, with the exception I only needed to install schedtool, the other programs are already present, as well as the rt-kernel.

I adjusted the correct alsa device as well.

But, if I then type 'sudo eca440h' I get an 'command not found' error.

(Yes, I did a reboot...)

when running eca440h as the current user, I get:

/dev/shm/<myfile.wav>ERROR: could not set PID 5385 to F: SCHED_FIFO - Operation not permitted

Rüdiger

Last edited by Onvinyl; 21st March 2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: refinement
Old 21st March 2010, 07:24 PM   #1519
diyAudio Member

>>So you need a dummy?

I wouldn't call it dummy? I need a/some serious trustworthy non-biased tester(s).

Your issue:

Did you configure /etc/security/limits.conf as described?
Do a

more /etc/security/limits.conf

if you find those 3 lines in that file?

After you configured those lines you need to reboot.

As user root you wouldn't have these limitations. ( sudo su)

Don't forget to copy the users .bashrc to /root, otherwise you won't be able to run that eca.. alias as root and if you login into recovery mode.

BTW:

I'd suggest to have these kind of discussions which refer to a specific Wiki page in the "Wiki" section.
As you might know each Wiki page comes with separate thread. This way you can constructively develop that specific wiki further as a community effort.

Cheers
Old 21st March 2010, 08:02 PM   #1520
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post

I'd suggest to have these kind of discussions which refer to a specific Wiki page in the "Wiki" section.
As you might know each Wiki page comes with separate thread. This way you can constructively develop that specific wiki further as a community effort.

Cheers
done

Hide this!Advertise here!