Linux Audio the way to go!? - Page 144 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2009, 02:20 PM   #1431
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
However only a few models support higher than 48 KHz sampling and even then its limited to 96. For access to the 176 and 192 content you must go elsewhere.
In another forum the Teac WAP V6000 has been in discussion. It has been found even to feed the spdif interface with up to 192 kHz. Teac also has published the underlying Linux system due to the open source rules. Just 325 MB to download and unpack ...

Uli
Old 19th December 2009, 07:44 PM   #1432
EddieV is offline EddieV  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
BTW:

Did I tell you guys that I am running a Squeezzebox (SBR -"without controller" @ 110) now?

Sounds quite good out of the box.
Tweaked even (much) better. ( I2S tapping off is pretty easy.)

Folks. Get you one to play with over the holidays. Highly recommended.
Hello Soundcheck,

I have a Squeezebox at home since a week (paid 86 ). It's not playing yet. I had a look at wireless network under Linux and I estimate that it will take me a couple of months at least to get that going (or not). So using wires is preferential. How much quality loss would that give? Galvanic isolation with optical fiber could be obtained in the ethernet cable if that is an absolute must (cost ~100).

Another question is about the volume control: do you fully rely on the software control of the SqueezeCentre and is the quality OK? Does it use 24 bits?

Kind regards,
Eddie
Old 19th December 2009, 08:21 PM   #1433
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

a wireless router is all you need for a wireless connection. I don't see why you need to deal with Linux wireless. Perhaps you can explain more.

The volume control in the Squeexeboxes I have used is digital and I would not use them in a performance application. You can defeat the volume control.
Old 19th December 2009, 09:07 PM   #1434
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Does the Squeezebox support the RIFF tag format that can be used for WAV files?

Is Tag&Rename the best editor for putting RIFF tags on WAV files?
Old 20th December 2009, 10:33 AM   #1435
EddieV is offline EddieV  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
a wireless router is all you need for a wireless connection. I don't see why you need to deal with Linux wireless. Perhaps you can explain more.

The volume control in the Squeexeboxes I have used is digital and I would not use them in a performance application. You can defeat the volume control.
Hello 1audio,

I am using a Linux PC since a few years for WAV-playback under a rt-kernel. Sounds great, and a big improvement was achieved by replacing the hardware volume control (an expensive stepped attenuator in my case) with a software control that first upsamples to 24 bit.

From what I read about the Squeezebox I am not shure that it is using this method. Its build-in Wolfson DAC can handle 24 bit as far as I know. If you have any information on this I would be happy to receive it.

The wireless connection is a completely different story. It is available on my motherboard. However, I am not familiar with this and after spending three evenings of reading I was left with two huge documents on how to install it. These documents were so different that I had no idea anymore what to do. I have already wasted enormous amounts of time in trying to install Linux and applications under it. I am totally fed up with that. So the alternative is simple, I will use cables.

Kind regards,
Eddie
Old 20th December 2009, 12:23 PM   #1436
diyAudio Member

Hi Eddie.

Sounds like you're still not used to Linux.

In your current case your problem has nothing to do with Linux.

It is your lack of knowledge about "networking" and "wireless lan" and not to forget that you try to get the "hacker" version of Squeezebox working.
With a controller at hand things are much easier.

The key issue is to get the initial networking configured within SBR and to get your router configured properly.

Checkout this page:: GettingStarted Net-UDAP

To get the UDAP tool going do this:

Code:
sudo su
apt-get install subversion
cd /usr/src
svn co http://projects.robinbowes.com/svn/Net-UDAP/branches/1.0.x
cd 1.0.x/scripts
./udap_shell.pl

UDAP>

discover    (make sure the SBR is config mode - slow blinking red led)
list
configure 1 ( whats your client? change "1" accordingly)
At this spoint you'll be able to configure the interface:
Note a key challenge is to configure the correct encryption which is used on your WLAN

E.g. wireless (wep )

wireless - wep - config :
---------------------------------

Code:
set interface=0 hostname=squeeze1 squeezecenter_name="server-hostname" server_address=192.XXX.X.XXX squeezecenter_address=192.XXX.X.XXX lan_gateway=192.XXX.X.1 lan_subnet_mask=255.255.255.0 wireless_mode=0 wireless_region_id=14 wireless_SSID="your rwireless network name" wireless_keylen=1 wireless_wep_key_0="wep-key" wireless_wep_on=1 wireless_channel=11

Change ip adresses according to your setup. Note: it is important that you own a router where it is possible to reserve certain ip-adresses for certain clients (MAC addresses). Otherwise the whole thing won't work. You can't allow to have changing addresses on the LAN.

Cheers
Old 20th December 2009, 04:53 PM   #1437
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

I figured out a new thing. "squeezeslave" a virtual squeezeclient.

That one lets your PC run as virtual squeezebox receiver (great for FitPc headless) and overall audio control of your (audio)-PCs

SqueezeSlave - SqueezeboxWiki

( Linux build instructions are OK)

Start command - example:

Code:
./squeezeslave -k20 -esoftsqueeze3 -M"/var/log/squeeze.log" -o0 192.XXX.0.XXX
Type ./squeezeslave -L to find out the alsa-interface value for the -o option.

See attached picture which shows the two clients ( on SBR and one squeezeslave) on iPeng.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (47.5 KB, 189 views)
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:19 AM   #1438
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Default Good news

[alsa-devel] [PATCH 1/1] Added functionality for E-mu 0404USB/0202USB/TrackerPre

Looks like E-MU USB sound cards support is to move ahead.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:05 PM   #1439
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
[alsa-devel] [PATCH 1/1] Added functionality for E-mu 0404USB/0202USB/TrackerPre

Looks like E-MU USB sound cards support is to move ahead.
Cool. Looks like 192khz is gonna work over USB too on the 0404!
Old 22nd December 2009, 02:54 PM   #1440
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

I looked at squeezeslave a few months ago. It seemed to be limited to 16 bit and OSS interface. Has it been upgraded?

On the Emu patch, it that an indication that USB class 2 audio (async audio at 176/192) is happening or is it proprietary?

Hide this!Advertise here!