Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to the specs, the UD-501 supports DoP (DSD over PCM) -
Product: UD-501 | TEAC
and there are at least two applications for Linux which will play DSD files (.dff or .dsf) and output them as DoP; MPD and HQPlayer.

The only other important point is that the UD-501's USB interface needs to be recognised by the ALSA snd-usb-audio driver as a valid UAC2 device. This has been reported as true and working here -
Teac Reference Line UD-501 USB DAC "DSD"
Later in that forum discussion you will see that DSD files and HQPlayer were involved.

I do have a serious problem with all those rip-off audiophile apps.

That includes JPLAY.

Amarra started at 1500$ not long ago!!! For an app that's very easily outclassed by a slightly optmized Linux setup.

These apps are not doing anything else than that what I've been promoting over here since 2007.

If you like feature lists, then sox, ffmpeg, mplayer etc. can't be beaten.

So. What's the point!?!? Don't tell me you bought that app!?!? :rolleyes:

I btw compared JPLAY with my SBTouch setup at a friends place. JPLAY doesn't come close ( in audiophile terms). It's not that bad though.

The main issue still - after all those years - is that not any DAC seems to be able to get rid of upstream issues.

Cheers

Last edited:
I do have a serious problem with all those rip-off audiophile apps.

I don't. I have a problem with unsupported claims in general but do not care if they come with a price tag or free. It is everyone's choice to pay. But the confusion and myths get spread regardless of the price.

These apps are not doing anything else than that what I've been promoting over here since 2007.

You have been arduously promoting many unproven myths since that time, along with things which actually make sense. Sorry.

If you like feature lists, then sox, ffmpeg, mplayer etc. can't be beaten.

E.g. proper DSD support including native DSD volume control?

So. What's the point!?!? Don't tell me you bought that app!?!? :rolleyes:

IMO Miska does not sell any snake oil. He has hands-on experience in audio DSP and his SW is basically a player with advanced efficient DSP. His computeraudiophile posts do not spread audiophile myths.

I do not need the features of his player, I have no DSD tracks. Plus I like to tinker with my system and his SW if closed-source. But most people have other hobbies :)

I btw compared JPLAY with my SBTouch setup at a friends place. JPLAY doesn't come close ( in audiophile terms). It's not that bad though.

Comparing JPLAY with SBTouch when both run on different HW? So what did you actually compare?

JPlay is a scam. But the technically questionable mods of your SB Touch toolkit were never confirmed to work by a blind listening test either. In fact I have read numerous reports with conflicting results.

The main issue still - after all those years - is that not any DAC seems to be able to get rid of upstream issues.

IMO the main issue is the lack of transparent and objective tests. Only these would show the scope of reality and believing.

Last edited:
If you'd ever make it into my region, you're invited. ;)

And.

There'll always be different messages out there. They do cause conflicts
because certain people don't even try to understand, why these messages are different. Usually it's the lack of knowledge causing those conflicts.

People and systems are different.

I have no problem with people who do not hear any differences. There's an explanation to everything.

I just had such an experience myself when comparing Toslink cables.

On my system I couldn't hardly distinguish two different cables. On a friends system who's running ETON ER4 AMT tweeters the difference between those were day and night. I'll be trying AMTs in my system soon.

Bottom line. The most imortant thing is that you stay openminded.
I can easily accept that you don't hear differences. You're a hacker.
You've got different priorities.

BTW: MPD plays DSD. No reason to go for a 129€ product. Combine MPD with sox and you'll be set.

If you'd ever make it into my region, you're invited. ;)

Thanks, the same for you. And if you like beer... :)

Bottom line. The most imortant thing is that you stay openminded.

I can easily accept that you don't hear differences. You're a hacker.
You've got different priorities.

:) How many times have I heard this argument when asking posters to verify their technically-unlikely claims (both commercial as well as non-commercial) with blind listening tests? No, this is just a straw man. Either present objective results, or accompany your claims with subjectivity qualifiers ("IMO", "I hear",etc.).

BTW: MPD plays DSD. No reason to go for a 129€ product. Combine MPD with sox and you'll be set.

I have absolutely no stakes in HQPlayer but MPD cannot upconvert DSD nor change DSD volume natively. Yet. Not that I would need such features but that SW does offer something for its price not available in free projects.

TEAC UD-501

I wanted to report in on the TEAC UD-501.

I just got this unit to test it out with Linux and MPD. I have been using MPD for years and really love the audio listening paradigm it supports.

In short, this DAC seems to have some problems with USB and Linux. You can get it to play out of the box, but (on pcm) when you change sampling frequencies it borks up and has to be stopped/started again. As for DSD there is a loud pop at the beginning of each track, you can also avoid this by stopping/starting (Stop the last track before it ends then start the next track... quite manual).

I'm posting to hear from anyone who might have experienced this and found a fix for their issues. Here is a gist with some of by information for debugging purposes:

https://gist.github.com/storrgie/6389526

agd@apollo:~$ uname -r
3.5.0-37-generic

I updated the gist to include that information.

I also have a Fedora 19 machine that might have a more recent version of ALSA

[agd@enyo ~]$ uname -r
3.10.9-200.fc19.x86_64
[agd@enyo ~]$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k3.10.9-200.fc19.x86_64.

I'll try on the Fedora machine and see if there is any changes.

phofman.

THX a lot. That's an interesting one. As a matter of fact alsamixer didn't show anything either.

I recall some years back I added such a quirk for a different interface, just to make Alsa aware of the device.

Since Squeezebox Times , I havn't been fiddling around with Alsa a lot.

Doing a Alsa git compile might then lead to a solution. I have to reactivate my Alsa-upgrade script from years back. Or I'll look up in Ubuntu forums if somebody is maintaining it.

With squeezelite the Alsa fun seems to start over again. ;)

Cheers

hello soundcheck,
do you have solved the problems with the nad connected via usb?
Have the same problem; I have open a ticket on NAD but they answered in the same way a year ago "Currently, the M51 USB connection isn't supported by Linux. However, there are plans to look at this in the future."

Playing around with "Ubu-Saucy" ...

... and Rythmbox on my desktop system.

I'm wondering if there's a "passthrough" mode for pulseaudio.
I read something -- at least found the term passthrough mentioned in the context of pulseaudio -- about it.

Passthrough supposely 's been inroduced in PA 2.0, now it's 4.0.

The base pulseaudio implementation in Saucy still resamples everything to 48khz with a rather low quality resampler.

Note:
If you try to resample to 192 with a rather high quality codec from inside PA, you run into major XRUNS. At 96 you can not move a window without getting XRUNS. What a poor implementation.
You can get it working by elevating PA into realtime priorization.

If you try to resample to 192 with a rather high quality codec from inside PA, you run into major XRUNS. At 96 you can not move a window without getting XRUNS. What a poor implementation.

What do you mean by "high quality codec"? I do not know what algorithm authors used in its native implementation pulseaudio/pulseaudio - PulseAudio Sound Server .

If what you mean is the resample-method parameter, it makes sense since libsamplerate (src-..) as well as speex are well known to be quite CPU demanding. You might want to test if the LD_PRELOAD with libsoxr-lsr instead of libsamplerate works too with pulseaudio switched to samplerate (src-...). I checked that using this new library in alsa rate plugin is very simple Using libsoxr-lsr in Alsa Rate Plugin with LD_PRELOAD | Blog IVITERA a.s. .

Last edited:
It uses libspeex 3 by default.

I switched to libsamplerate [PA_RESAMPLER_SRC_SINC_BEST_QUALITY].

And does the LD_PRELOAD library injection work?

Anyhow. I don't know how to enable passthrough mode.
Otherwise "bit-perfection" is gonna be rather difficult to achieve with an Ubuntu system.

I do not think ubuntu being a general-use desktop distribution cares about bitperfect playback. Being able to mix streams is way more important for a regular user.

SPDIF/HDMI passthrough into alsa is handled by video applications directly.

And does the LD_PRELOAD library injection work?

No idea.

I do not think ubuntu being a general-use desktop distribution cares about bitperfect playback. Being able to mix streams is way more important for a regular user.

SPDIF/HDMI passthrough into alsa is handled by video applications directly.

I do want to use it as generic desktop system. As a (rather) normal user.
And I'm also aware that there are applications ( also e.g. MPD ), which can
directly access Alsa.

I just wanted to use Rythmbox out of the box. Because it is well integrated into the environment. And certain plugins (e.g. coverart browser) make that
player acceptable to me. ( What I can not say about MPD)

What sucks is pulseaudio and the whole gstreamer jungle.
OK. Nothing new. We were at this point 5 years ago.

Anyhow. With the right prioritiy setting I got a rather acceptable resampling to 96khz (@23%!! CPU load on an i5) going.

Let's see, perhaps I find an answer to the "passthrough" subject, which is supposed to include automatic samplerate switching.

"Useles complaining"

Yep. That's right. It's useless to complain about all the useless respectively low quality stuff being developed under Linux. There is close to 0 progress since years. Since pulseaudio it actually got worse. The vast majority of apps are flawed or come with pretty limited features.
One exemption is the Logitechmediaserver and squeezelite.

I do not intend to look into the sourcecode with every single piece of SW I'm trying under Linux.

Non of your answers refers to my question btw. Why do you feel to respond at all!?!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.