Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I understand they would use dither. Just I do not see how you could "clean up potential mess in the non audible regions" by dithering when in fact it does the exact opposite. Just like you noticed in your blog, the increased noise in the upper spectrum.

How could adding high-frequency noise clean up the high-frequency spectrum?

It can be fun sometimes how audiophiles see the world of digital audio. They still seem to have this childlike curiosity deep inside.

Look.

First of all, 99% of inmates of this forum are audiophiles resp. technophiles (those audiophiles that spent 90% on technology and 10 % on listening).
All of them continously strive for better sound quality from an audio system...
...and ususally succeed in doing so.

There are a huge number and quite sophisticated projects and threads that relate to digital audio - with only one goal -- to get the digital audio nasties away.

Your comment just reflects your very limited mindset. You'd better find yourself another place.

Look.

First of all, 99% of inmates of this forum are audiophiles resp. technophiles (those audiophiles that spent 90% on technology and 10 % on listening).
All of them continously strive for better sound quality from an audio system...
...and ususally succeed in doing so.

There are a huge number and quite sophisticated projects and threads that relate to digital audio - with only one goal -- to get the digital audio nasties away.

Your comment just reflects your very limited mindset. You'd better find yourself another place.
There are many serious audiophiles in here and no problem with that. Without them there wouldn´t be so much progress in many places. Myself is most likely audiophile also.
I only have a problem with some wannabees always looking for credit that throw around with mysterious findings that magically improve sound quality while they even don´t know how things work.

Also i like this place. diyaudio.com is still a very interesting place that covers many interesting areas of audio.

Hi,

I have a question. I am running mpdpup on an alix board to waveio and nos dac. The alix board is connected with ethernet cable to the network in able to get files from the nas and to control with ipad.

I am wondering if a wireless card would improve the sound; galvanic seperation to the network.......

Anybody any experience with this?

And what wifi card would fit the alix/mpdpup?

Kind regards,

However, from the beginning I had a realtime system in mind.
Because standard latencies on Linux are not much better than
MS, if better at all.

KLS

I am not really sure what you mean by 'latencies' - - perhaps I have a different definition [20 years in IT, a lot in data communications].

You can 'up' the priority on tasks to give more CPU time................

Once set it is extremely stable in my admittedly limited experience.

It is ultra-stable - compared to MS Windows.

For over a year, one guy ran it - NEVER had to reset his PC.

The rest of us used Windows - I had to reset my PC at least once a day, and it would hang or crash once / twice / thrice a week. And we ONLY used MS apps.

There was a Gartner study some years back - UNIX was 100 tmes [yes, ONE HUNDRED] times more stable than Windows NT; as measured in down-time.

Our UNIX server crashed once in 2 years, reset itself and chugged away after being down for 5 minutes.

It is ultra-stable - compared to MS Windows.

For over a year, one guy ran it - NEVER had to reset his PC.

The rest of us used Windows - I had to reset my PC at least once a day, and it would hang or crash once / twice / thrice a week. And we ONLY used MS apps.

There was a Gartner study some years back - UNIX was 100 tmes [yes, ONE HUNDRED] times more stable than Windows NT; as measured in down-time.

Our UNIX server crashed once in 2 years, reset itself and chugged away after being down for 5 minutes.

At my old place of work, we had a Solaris 8 Sun Server that ran for almost 5 years without a reboot/shutdown. It only went down then because of a generator failure..

You may experience audible change, but most likely not. The only way to find out on your gear is to try :)

Of course, both sides are always isolated by transformers.

Ok, just like spdif interfaces. I have never been into computer hardware stuff up to now, now I have discovered that a computer is finally able to produce good audio sound, I am looking into it.

I think I will try out wifi anyway..........

Thanks!

Ok, just like spdif interfaces.

Actually, a lot of spdif interfaces do not use isolation transformers. E.g. most integrated soundcards, inexpensive PCI/e cards, many cheap USB cards, many SPDIF inputs, etc. In fact I would say it is more common not to include the transformer, in my experience. Unlike ethernet where the transformer is part of the technology.

Ok, just like spdif interfaces. I have never been into computer hardware stuff up to now, now I have discovered that a computer is finally able to produce good audio sound, I am looking into it.

I think I will try out wifi anyway..........

Thanks!

I suspect you will discover that it is a waste of time... With wi-fi, unless you are in an area where there is no one else using the wi-fi spectrum, you have to compete for bandwidth (I can see ~20 networks in my house from my neighbours), vs a dedicated wired connection, where you do have to compete with other systems on your network (or not if you build a separate network for audio) for bandwidth, but not to the extent that you compete for the airwaves..

I suspect you will discover that it is a waste of time... With wi-fi, unless you are in an area where there is no one else using the wi-fi spectrum, you have to compete for bandwidth (I can see ~20 networks in my house from my neighbours), vs a dedicated wired connection, where you do have to compete with other systems on your network (or not if you build a separate network for audio) for bandwidth, but not to the extent that you compete for the airwaves..

You are probably right, I also expect that wifi would load the processor more than ethernet because wifi is not so efficient and packages will need to be re-send often.

Regading busy traffic in the air; this is not a problem, I am using channels my neighbours do not use (but that can change of course :))

About competing with other systems in the network: this would not be a problem because the network load for flac files (even 24/192) is pretty limited in comparison to the space on the gigabit network and capacity of the synology 411+II nas.

Kind regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.