Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I got it now. I need to create the 'multi' device by addressing "hw:x,0", "hw:x,1", "hw:y,0" and "hw:y,1" each with two channels (x and y being the device numbers). Now only need to confirm that those channels are the analog inputs/outputs.

Yes they are. See the block diagram in Quartet user's guide. Subdevice hw:x,0 corresponds to channels 1,2 while hw:x,1 corresponds to channels 3,4 and SPDIF input/output. That is 4 channels in total.

I seem to have more problems. The capture devices in hw:x,0 work, but hw:x,1 doesn't. Testing hw:x,1 with arecord gives "File descriptor in bad state" and using the multi pcm device gives "Input/output error". Multi pcm works if I combine just the first two channels of each device to form a four channel device.

I wonder if there is anything particular in alsamixer that needs to be switched to make the 3/4 inputs work?

Alsa is 1.0.24 on XBMCbuntu, I will look in to upgrading to 1.0.25.

Last edited:
sound card config

I recently added a sub to my desktop setup and cant figure out how to do the sound card config. Sound card is m-audio revolution 7.1. I will be running it in 2.1 mode. OS is kubuntu 12.04.

I have setup the card as 7.1. The only options in the Settings->multimedia->phonon settings are stereo, 5.1 and 7.1. The sub is not working under this setup.

I tried OSS also, using the command line test programs, the sub works, but most of the music players dont seem to work with it. The full range signal goes to speakers and I would like to send it to sub only at times.

I want to configure the following features:

1. crossover at 80 or 100hz.
2. Ability to send the bass signal to just the speaker, just the sub, both.

Any pointers on how do i do this? I didnt go through this thread in totality but searched and couldnt find the relevant info.

I had some issues with my simple sound setup at work with Ubuntu 12.04 that went away with mint 13.
Since mint also uses pulse audio by default, it may not be optimal but you can try it by booting from a Live CD. You might also want to try Lubuntu, which uses Alsa by default vs Pulse audio. Check this page for some interesting info https://sites.google.com/site/computeraudioorg/linux-for-audio I've run into sound issues with Ubuntu a few times and sometimes the path of least resistance is ripping it out and starting from scratch.

Not until idiots like me can use it. I keep banging on about this because I consider it important, Linux will never become commonly accepted until it gets over its geeky way of doing things. Unfortunately, I think the coders want to keep it that way, a sort of intellectual snobbery if you like.

Try Linux Mint it's idiot proof. Download the MATE version and install alongside windows (you can then choose which OS to use at start up.

Main Page - Linux Mint

If you don't like it - windows control panel - add/remove programs - LinuxMint - remove

Mint is the biggest linux distro nowadays I think and it's the same functionality as windows (but faster and more reliable etc). (I've used it hassle free for 5 years and I'm a full weight idiot so that's saying something about how versatile it is).

There are plenty of reviews etc on youtube. For those of you yet to try Linux look at this (and even this is how good it was "back then"):

Why use Linux #1: Eye Candy - YouTube

Last edited:
I love Linux mint !!
I use the KDE version and there is very little that I have found that I have to go back to windows for.
I can even run Circuit maker in it and that is a big plus for me.

I have Ubuntu studio as well, But its installer is a PITA when you want to do a multi-boot system.
And beware if you have windows installed and if it fails for any reason you will lose your windows boot file and you will have start all over so backup your data First before attempting to install Ubuntu.

Some may not have any issues, but this what I have been through.
I also use a set of SCSI drives as well so it gets even more confusing at times.

Linux Mint installer works every time with Windows and as well for a multi-boot system with Windows and Ubuntu installed on separate drives.

The nice thing about Ubuntu Studio is the apps that come already as part of the package.
But all of these can be installed manually via software manager into Mint.

When I first started with linux I tried Ubuntu and I couldn't get the graphic driver to work properly wit a dual monitor setup as I am using an older system with a GT7600 card.
Linux mint 12 worked the very First time I used it.
The latest version of Ubuntu seems to have solved this.

Now the only issue I have now is that in Ubuntu and Linux Mint 13 I can't set one of my monitors to 1600X1200 resolution as the monitor does not support that resolution but will display it.
I am able to do this in Linux Mint 12 and Windows as well.

I have had only one audio issue in a earlier version of Ubuntu and I think Lmms or Ardour as it was glitching out.
This appears to be fixed in the latest versions.

I have never had any problems with Mint 12 or 13 as far as audio is concerned except having to re-install VLC in Mint13 because the sound system wasn't linking up to it for some reason on the initial install using my Gina24 card.

The only time I have ever locked the system up is on occasion with Firefox using the Ant Toolbar to download videos.
This may be just a problem with the Toolbar.
With Google Chrome I have never ad any issues.
I don't use Firefox much so I don't know about any more issues there.

My onboard sound works as well as my Gina24 card,But I had to turn off the onboard sound system in the Bios in order to use the Gina card or else linux gets confused and defaults to the onboard system.
Even though the card was recognized and appeared to be installed with the stock system I could not get it to work and had to do a re-install.

Since then I had replaced the Gina24 sound card with my Creative X-FI card but I have not learned how re-install the AlSA drivers manually yet and doing a re-install is not an issue as I just haven't taken the time to do so.

I love Linux and spend 90% of my time using as it is much quicker and snappier than using windows.
Especially on my older Opty185 and P4-3's.
Not to mention that it is very stable and free of any virus issues that I have found so far.

When I installed one of my TV tuner cards it worked the First time without a hitch.
This was not the case when trying to find the right drivers and install them from ATI for windows!

In linux all I had to do was install the TV app and now I have instantly a DVR!!
How cool is that?!!!!

I am hoping to learn more about Lnux and learn the working ins and outs of it as well.
It reminds me of the joys I had using OS9 on the Radio Shack Color Computer with a Hard drive, But even better on a much much more powerful and faster machine!!

Cheers !!

jer :)

It reminds me of the joys I had using OS9 on the Radio Shack Color Computer with a Hard drive, But even better on a much much more powerful and faster machine!!

Cheers !!

Oh My God, I just had a flash back to 1982(ish), a co-worker was doing the same thing with a CoCo, OS9 and Hard drive, in his mad scientist basement..

Btw.. At work, I've got an AMD Opteron with an Nvidia Quadra running a 30 inch monitor at 2560x1600 on Mint13, and quite nicely I might add

It is very impressive how far the new Linux Distros have come in the last few years.. Lubuntu doesn't have the eye candy, but it also "just works" and runs better on older systems, since they have tweaked it for lower system resource usage.

If sound quality is important, having Pulse audio out of the way (Lubuntu leaves it out, so you dont have to mess with trying to remove it and fix the dependancies) is very important.

Last edited:
MrSlim- Yep, I had the Speech Recognition thing and the whole bit.

doors666- Good question, My sound cards have 8 outputs, But I don't know yet how to control each one of them separately.
Maybe in Jack it is possible I haven't used it much yet.
I think I can use multiple outputs in ardour, But I think I was having problems last time I tried it, But that was back when I First started using linux and haven't got much past stereo at the moment.

FWIW

Last edited:
Anyone's running a 2.1 system with stereo amp and sub plate amp? how do you configure the crossover between the two in linux.

I'm in the process of setting that up myself. I'm using a separate crossover (Reckhorn F1 with mods(regs in the power supply and increased gain resistors), feeding it with 2 channels from the computer (Via a DCB1(Pass buffer)) and then taking the summed sub output and feeding the sub amp. It's pretty simple, or are we missing some details from your config?

I'm in the process of setting that up myself. I'm using a separate crossover (Reckhorn F1 with mods(regs in the power supply and increased gain resistors), feeding it with 2 channels from the computer (Via a DCB1(Pass buffer)) and then taking the summed sub output and feeding the sub amp. It's pretty simple, or are we missing some details from your config?

What you want to do in f1 is what i want to do in the sound card. It has 7.1 outs. Tow channel output will goto plain b1 and then to topping. The .1 will goto the sub amp directly. I dont want the full range signal going to my speakers (alpair 7) as the power handling of the speakers drops big time if I feed them with full range signal. I want to setup a crossover at some 80 or 100hz. I can easily do this in windows with the M-Audio control panel applet by setting the crossover frequency and setting the speakers to small, havent figured out in linux.

Great news! m2tech have eventually released Linux (ALSA) driver for their products using their custom async USB2 protocol, such as the (1st) hiFace! :happy1:

The driver is here:

https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio/wiki

Drivers are distributed in source form (great!) and are ready to be integrated into DKMS for automatic build!

Just do:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dkms

sudo apt-get install kernel-headers-$(uname -r)

sudo apt-get install build-essential

sudo apt-get install git

git clone git://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio.git

sudo dkms add ./snd-usb-asyncaudio/ 

sudo dkms autoinstall
(likely, some of the above packages, such as dkms, may be already installed on your system).

Eventually, you'll get:
Code:
DKMS: build completed.

snd-usb-asyncaudio.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
 - Original module
   - No original module exists within this kernel
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/«your_kernel_version»/updates/dkms/

depmod.......

DKMS: install completed.
cleaning build area....

DKMS: build completed.
then
Code:
sudo modprobe -v snd-usb-asyncaudio
and here we go:
Code:
[39592.797430] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-hiface
Very well done, m2tech!

Last edited:
Cool.

The new devices, such as Hiface II, are working with the generic driver already.
There's no risk for them opening up their code nowadays. The new generations are sounding better anyhow.

One important point is that there are quite some suppliers out there, who licensed ( and still do ) HiFace I as OEMs ( e.g. Empirical Audio) . For them it means quite a competetive disadvantage to be tight to the propriatary driver. I reckon some of them must have been quite unhappy to see those M2Tech developments. Those guys felt kind of ripped-off for quite some time. I had discussions about it over at AA.

I'm sure we'll see more drivers coming up. But not because standard Linux becomes more popular.

I think these folks do have the huge Android market in mind. You can't afford to stay out of Android. Sooner or later we'll see full USB DAC support for Droids ( some devices - like Galaxy SIII got it working already). You can't let that market go.

Still, I'm appreciating those little "spin-offs". ;)

RME also comes with a class compliant USB audio interface btw.. It's full Alsa and iOS compatible. Nice developments.

Last edited:
Hiya all.
I did have a really quick glance through the first and last few pages, so please excuse me if these questions have been asked and answered already.

IF you use a motherboard with onboard optical or coaxial output (not a separate sound card), is there still an audible benefit in running a Linux o/s ?

Is there any reason I shouldn't choose a s1155 low power intel system ?

Finally, I've heard that using an SSD will result in superior audio replay ?

Any and all replies welcomed. Many thanks to all.......

IF you use a motherboard with onboard optical or coaxial output (not a separate sound card), is there still an audible benefit in running a Linux o/s ?

The only time you'll find an audible benefit from choosing one OS over another is if one OS supports talking directly to your hardware when another does not. For Windows, this would be ASIO; for Linux, ALSA hardware mode; for Mac OSX, Core Audio. I prefer Linux because it is infinitely customizable and lends itself well to operating as a headless server, which is what I think is the way to go for a dedicated audio PC. If your current OS supports talking directly to the hardware and you have no interest modifying source code or esoteric system settings, there is no advantage to Linux that I am aware of.

That said, I run Linux as my primary OS on all my computers, and I think it's great! If you're curious about it, try it out. It's free.

Finally, I've heard that using an SSD will result in superior audio replay ?

If you are using the real time kernel, dumping the uncompressed audio files to RAM before playback, and everything is configured perfectly in your system, then an SSD will make no difference in audio quality. It WILL make for a better listening experience however, as the process of pulling the audio off the SSD and storing it in memory will be much faster than a typical hard disk.

Bad configurations can give the illusion that an SSD is producing better audio quality than a hard drive. This can happen when you don't have enough RAM and the operating system swaps some of your audio out to disk (as far as the software is concerned, the audio lives in RAM, but in reality it lives only on the disk). It can also happen if poorly written software is allowed to preempt your audio player and allocate enough RAM to move your audio into swap space. In this case where the audio is being read in real time off the disk, the SSD will perform MUCH better than the hard drive. If you set things up properly, this should never happen.

Hard drives also produce more noise and require more power, though this shouldn't matter if everything is living in RAM and your operating system is providing good power management (your OS will basically turn the hard drive off). Ideally, once the system boots and audio is playing, EVERYTHING will be in RAM and the hard drive will be idle. Puppy Linux is a great example of a distribution that has this feature built in. Check it out if you're concerned about this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.