Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
;-) I see you live in Pilsen where the world´s best beer is made. I´ve found this out empirically but of course need to "download" more to make it statiscally valid.

Said that, I certainly do not want to distract from the original topic of the thread (have not read it in full length yet) and although I´m "oldschool" linux I´m willing to contribute and not beeing "arrogant"; I´m just easily offended by "esoteric" claims. We already have enough of those in our world. That´s the advantage of Linux, you can look how it works, no "secrets" here and thus no need to "just believe".

Try Music Player Daemon, and one of the many clients for it. I liked sonata for linux, QMPDClient for windows, and mpod for ipod touch-iphone. There is also a client for android devices, that I have not tried.

Music Player Daemon Community Wiki
Sonata Music Client for MPD

MPD is a good thing if you prefer client-server concept, but it is not related with my purpose. Foobar2000+wine still best among bunch of all *nix audio players. If you use it, you may realize it supports drag-and-drop and copy tracks between playlists better then native ones.

OMG. Using wine for such a task IMHO is definitely not the best thing to do.

About native players, I am afraid that perhaps you have not tried hard enough the best native players around. Of course no-one of them will work exactly the way you're used to. There will always be some "learning curve" before you'll feel at home with any new software once you have got used to something else. :cannotbe:

Which ones have you tried? under which distribution/environment?

Anyway, the world is nice 'cause it's so various... it's always nice to have choices. :D

About MPD, of course its most prominent feature is the client-server model, which is best exploited when controlling a dedicated server from one or more remote clients. But you can also use it on a single machine. Clients like GMPC are as good as many "integrated" (non client-server) players.

OMG. Using wine for such a task IMHO is definitely not the best thing to do.

If you say so..

About native players, I am afraid that perhaps you have not tried hard enough the best native players around. Of course no-one of them will work exactly the way you're used to. There will always be some "learning curve" before you'll feel at home with any new software once you have got used to something else. :cannotbe:

My learning curve is not that long. I'm capable of expecting some behavior after such operations like DnD and move,copy items between multiple playlists.

Which ones have you tried? under which distribution/environment?

This list is not going to be as short as my learning curve if try to remember what i tried since the days of we were celebrating iso9660 filesystem support just arrived to 2.0 kernel.

Anyway, the world is nice 'cause it's so various... it's always nice to have choices. :D

We are agree on this point.. This is why I'm on wine+foobar side for a while. I'm also using a simple file launcher which is a simply 'mplayer -ao alsa:device=front "$1"'. DnD works great :)

About MPD, of course its most prominent feature is the client-server model, which is best exploited when controlling a dedicated server from one or more remote clients. But you can also use it on a single machine. Clients like GMPC are as good as many "integrated" (non client-server) players.

I'm a oldskool shaped computer user. I'm still trying to get used to windoze and menu buttons on keyboards. Please don't expect from a "file based" thinker to feel comfort while doing such client-server things in this manner.

Last edited:
If you say so..
well, basically your sound stream will be goin' through an emulated windows sound stack/driver layer. Maybe it's not the case (we should look at the code to know), but it may even be not "bit-perfect".

I'm a oldskool shaped computer user. I'm still trying to get used to windoze and menu buttons on keyboards. Please don't expect from a "file based" thinker
so I am. Even more, I'm a command line guy. My favorite "player" is: "play <some_files>" from a bash shell. :D

Wav header

Dear Folks

I discovered that sometime softwares (dsp, encoders, etc) add some stuffs in the header of the wavs when I go back to wav format. For instance this happens when I go from ape to wav.

There is anyway to clean the wavs, so that everything is before the DATA is 100% consistent with the wav standard?

I tried doing

Code:
  sox  in.wav   -t wav  out.wav

but header still contains non-standard elements.

Best Wishes
Pietro

sox resampling to red-book

Dear all,

I'have ripped several LPs at 24bit/192Khz, and I want to make CD-RW copies to be played in my car.

From what I understood the best way to get files resampled with sox is something like this:

Code:
 sox  -V5  input.wav   -b 16  -t wav  output.wav   rate -v -s 44100  dither -s

Am I right, or rather there is any better way (higher quality) to do it?

Pietro

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Folks

I discovered that sometime softwares (dsp, encoders, etc) add some stuffs in the header of the wavs when I go back to wav format. For instance this happens when I go from ape to wav.

There is anyway to clean the wavs, so that everything is before the DATA is 100% consistent with the wav standard?

I tried doing

Code:
  sox  in.wav   -t wav  out.wav

but header still contains non-standard elements.

Best Wishes
Pietro

The original wav format was later on extended to the "extended wav" format. See wavpcm at SoX - Sound eXchange | FAQ and SoX

The original wav format was later on extended to the "extended wav" format. See wavpcm at SoX - Sound eXchange | FAQ and SoX

I think wavpcm is not the standard wav, isn't it? The sox manual says:

.wavpcm: A non-standard, but widely used, variant of .wav. Some applications cannot read a standard WAV file header for PCM-encoded data with sample-size greater than 16-bits or with more than two channels, but can read a non-standard WAV header. It is likely that such applications will eventually be updated to support the standard header, but in the mean time, this SoX format can be used to create files with the non-standard header that should work with these applications. (Note that SoX will automatically detect and read WAV files with the non-standard header.)

Best Wishes
Pietro

Hi all,

I have bought two Infrasonic Quartet cards to replace Delte 1010LTs (desperately need the extra 10 dB SNR in ADC!). Deltas were working fine with cards synchronized through S/PDIF and using the alsa configuration from: Sound Recording with GNU/Linux - Multiple Soundcards - ICE1712/Delta 1010

Any one have experience using multiple Quartets? Similar configuration doesn't work with Brutefir, I get this "invalid argument" error from alsa as warned in the comments for that configuration file. How many channels of playback and capture should be addressed in the config? Thanks for any help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.