Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you want to build a headless server for music only, I wouldn't do it with Ubuntu. There is way too much extra cruft that you don't need, unless you use Ubuntu Server.

A very bare bones alternative is Voyage Linux, which is a Debian based distro that was developed with the ALIX boards in mind, but also works well with other X86 motherboards. It is easily installable on a Flash card(for the OS and apps only, you should put your music on a separate hard drive) and uses all the standard Debian packages. There is even a version of it that has MPD already installed, and is usable with USB Audio 2.0 standard compatible DACS(to get 24/196 via USB). I have that setup with SqueezeServer on an Intel fanless Atom board and it works very well.

Another option is Arch Linux. It's not as Plug and Play as Ubuntu, but you control what you install, so you don't have to deal with the decisions that Canonical made wrt the audio subsystem... It also is a "rolling release" meaning there are no "new" releases that you have to upgrade to on a regular basis.. You can update packages as necessary (of course any dependencies will also be updated). I'm planning on setting Arch up as my Vinyl ripping system(and replace Ubuntu for my desktop use at home)

if you download and install the 'Minimal Ubuntu' distribution, you will not get all the extra stuff they think you need. During the install, you can select 'OpenSSH Server' and you will end up with a CLI system with OpenSSH installed. There will be no audio subsystem. You can then install ALSA and MPD and you're done. Voyage is a good choice. You can get 'Voyage MPD' which is a ready-to-go music server. Might be your best option. If you are a Linux noob, then I suggest you do not use Arch Linux as a first time user. Voyage would be a better choice.

Last edited:
Ubuntu server will do. Or plain Debian. :)

Speaking about players, there's also "foobnix": Welcome - Good music and video player

(this is a desktop player, not useful for a headless music server. BTW, you should try Linux as a general purpose desktop, too ;) ).

I'm running Ubuntu Server since quite some time.
I do consider it fad ( look at the size of the DVD) on one hand, on the other hand basic packages ssh server, nfs etc are missing.
What's also missing is a kind of Vortexbox like management layer.
Still I can use it. I just finished setting up a standalone server based digikam database on that server. It works quite well.

All I can say, after trying some DISTROs, incl. Debian SID, lately.

If it has to be Linux, than my vote goes for Ubuntu (Gnome) or one of its flavors. That's all I need. It'll still gives me enough headache and space for hacking.

Debian SID (Mint-Debian) felt like being back in the early days of Linux.
Those Mint folks must have realized ( and appreciated) by now what value-add Ubuntu generates on top of Debian.

I tried it.

Luckily I had some python stuff installed on top of that comes cdparanoia and cdrdoa. I left out pycdio for now.

Reading out the drive offset automatically started to become an adventure.
I took the known figures.

I didn't manage to get a single CD ripped.

My Toshiba DVD worked. But not even my safest bet an old Plextor CD drive worked.

The program recognized the Toshiba drive and the CD, looked up the CDDB and musicbrainz ids, started ripping. So far so good.
And then suddenly it died after a while:

ERROR: checksum: not a single buffer gotten

No comment!

Cheers

Are you working on debian?

mostly, yes.

What are you doing with pycdio ? For now that one seems not to be in the repos?

aptitude install python-setuptools
easy_install pycdio

BTW: I had some troubles too. It works with one of my drives, not with the other. :(

Submitting a bug report... (please do it you too; use "reportbug" or similar).

mostly, yes.

easy_install pycdio

BTW: I had some troubles too. It works with one of my drives, not with the other. :(

Submitting a bug report... (please do it you too; use "reportbug" or similar).

I'll give it a try.

Though I also tried to rip cdparanoia. I didn't work properly either.
My Ubuntu base installation has no problems to access any of those drives.
I'm not sure of anybody maintains those grabbing apps anymore.

I'd love to see rip integrated or as plugin to Puddletag.

I've been using rubyripper, to rip CD's. It has capabilities to re-read each chunk to verify the data. I'm not sure if morituri has any advantages over it or not..

As far as I can see rip uses cdparanoia, without the Rubyripper add-ons.

The big advantage of rip is the Accurate Rip database verification.

I asked the Rubyripper guy 2-3 years back about it. He never managed.

Accurate Rip is IMO the key element to make sure that your rip is accurate (afterwards). Otherwise you never know.
Those double read out features are OK (if the CD drive buffer gets passed by). Still you don't know if something went wrong, once you're finished.
Accurate Rip works on 99% of my CDs. The drive offset settings (the key element to make it work) you'll find over at Accurate Rip.
No need to have an automatic offset detection in place. That I could skip on the rip tool.

Security features and low drive speeds become less important with Accurate Rip.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm trying to use a KingRex UC-192 usb/spdif with my linux setup but I can't play anything. I'm using slackware 13.1 with alsa 1.0.24.
Alsa recognizes the device, the output of "lsusb -v" is in the zip file and the "/proc/asound/cardX/stream0" shows

KingRex technology co.,ltd KingRex UC-192 USB TO Spdif/I2S at usb-0000:00:0b.1- :
USB Audio

Playback:
Interface 1
Altset 1
Format: S16_LE
Channels: 2
Endpoint: 4 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
Rates: 44100, 88200, 176400, 48000, 96000, 192000
Data packet interval: 1000 us
Interface 1
Altset 2
Format: S24_3LE
Data packet interval: 500 us
Interface 1
Altset 3
Format: S32_LE
Data packet interval: 500 us

but when I try to play anything I only get a distorted sound and the syslog message "ALSA clock.c:116: uac_clock_source_is_valid(): cannot get clock validity for 128"

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem ?

thanks

Attachments

• lsusb.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 40
easy_install pycdio

I had to install "libiso9660-dev" and "swig" to get pycdio compiled and installed properly.

I then tried:

rip cd rip --profile=wav --offset=30 -O /tmp

to avoid flac encoding.

The process fails after the 2nd CRC check "Step4". I find a couple of tmp wavs afterwards under /tmp. The album folder stays empty.

Cdparanioa is working now.

Though I also tried to rip cdparanoia. I didn't work properly either.
That's strange: cdparanoia works just fine! I've used it ever since, and still do. Tried on countless different systems & machines... and never had a single problem!

Try running:

cdparanoia --analyze-drive

to make sure your drive is compatible. If it is supposed to be compatible but you still have problems, I'd suspect some problem with your system (possibly including BIOS and/or hardware, but more likely the kernel if you're using a non-standard one).

I've been using rubyripper, to rip CD's. It has capabilities to re-read each chunk to verify the data. I'm not sure if morituri has any advantages over it or not..
Since version "cdparanoia III release 10.2 (September 11, 2008)" the (in)famous drive cache problem (which made paranoia checks ineffective on many modern drives) have been fixed. Now cdparanoia does (again) perfect extractions by itself. There's absolutely no need for ineffective/useless as well as unnecessarily time consuming repeated rips as "rubyripper" does.

The only plus of "rip" (morituri) wrt cdparanoia alone would be the "AccurateRip" DB support, plus automatic encoding & tagging/renaming of ripped tracks.

As far as I can see rip uses cdparanoia, without the Rubyripper add-ons.
yes...
Code:
        bufsize = 1024
        argv = ["cdparanoia", "--stderr-progress",
            "--sample-offset=%d" % self._offset, ]
        if self._device:
            argv.extend(["--force-cdrom-device", self._device, ])
        argv.extend(["%d[%s]-%d[%s]" % (
                startTrack, common.framesToHMSF(startOffset),
                stopTrack, common.framesToHMSF(stopOffset)),
            self.path])
        self.debug('Running %s' % (" ".join(argv), ))
        self._popen = asyncsub.Popen(argv,
            bufsize=bufsize,
            stdin=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
            stderr=subprocess.PIPE, close_fds=True)

self.runner.schedule(1.0, self._read, runner)

Accurate Rip is IMO the key element to make sure that your rip is accurate (afterwards). Otherwise you never know.
in principle, yes. In practice, since cdparanoia drive-cache bug have been fixed I've never seen a single wrong rip. IME it works better and more reliably than EAC... and it's way much faster, too.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.