Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
E.g. because Logitech screwed up something when porting the squeezebox server to linux? IMO it would be rather simple to research and draw conclusions. But that is not the way the authors of the claim operate, simplification attracts much more followers. People like it when instructions are simple and universal.

Better simple instructions - then hot air!

BTW: The first measurement series was done after applying my toolbox. Guess what's been the result. :cool:

And beside that I consider the Logitech Touch base implementation based on a Linux system one of the most sophisticated
Linux based audio implementations I ever came across. These guys know what they are doing.

If you have ideas about improving the LAN interface of a Linux box -- shoot. You obviusoly imply to be the expert here.

I'm fiddling around with it for a while. I'm making improvements, but I won't manage to beat that standard W7 setup.

Last edited:
>>

Usually he states something like that if bits are bit-perfect delivered to the receiver there won't be any difference on soundquality.

Wrong. I am saying that the difference cannot be evaluated in a consistent way, across various HW setups and OS installations. Each HW setup is different, each OS runs different processes, with different timing, producing different noise patterns. Therefore I refuse your universal misleading claims that ecasound sounds better than e.g. sox or that JRiver on windows sounds better than whatever on linux, provided BOTH are bit-perfect.

Wrong. I am saying that the difference cannot be evaluated in a consistent way, across various HW setups and OS installations. Each HW setup is different, each OS runs different processes, with different timing, producing different noise patterns. Therefore I refuse your universal misleading claims that ecasound sounds better than e.g. sox or that JRiver on windows sounds better than whatever on linux, provided BOTH are bit-perfect.

I know you're a sw guy. One day it might occur to you that there are
certain physical effects associated to data streams.

I know you're a sw guy. One day it might occur to you that there are
certain physical effects associated to data streams.

Look, I have been doing electronics since the age of 10. My first oscilloscope was home-built from scratch, my own design, no overall building instructions. I have been working in linux full hours since 2000. The whole corporation I co-own runs on linux, selling internet marketing and SaaS services to companies, using internally developed SW. All linux. I consider myself both sw and hw guy and to be honest I do not think it is without any merit. Tell us, what are your credentials in the area of SW, HW, and electronics that your claims should be more relevant?

Look, I have been doing electronics since the age of 10. My first oscilloscope was home-built from scratch, my own design, no overall building instructions. I have been working in linux full hours since 2000. The whole corporation I co-own runs on linux, selling internet marketing and SaaS services to companies, using internally developed SW. All linux. I consider myself both sw and hw guy and to be honest I do not think it is without any merit. Tell us, what are your credentials in the area of SW, HW, and electronics that your claims should be more relevant?

I make, listen to and enjoy music.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Demian,

Any ETA on on your PK-USB server? It's something that I might be very interested in since I haven't had the time to wire up a decent power supply for my Alix.

We found that with the Alix (and the Intel platform) the contention for the USB interface caused real problems with the audio. (Windows seems to manage this better, but will never work on an Alix.) Adding a separate USB interface made it all work. The special one we are using also has additional isolation for the on board oscillator and all of the on board power is separately derived.

The system is working and doing so pretty well. We have only tested the USB audio class 2 with Wavelength's Wavelink. I'm trying to get something else using the code so we can see if there are other problems. The special hardware interface makes a big difference, a strong argument for the influence of supply noise on the audio.

The sheetmetal is still being tweaked, and every delay gives me the dubious opportunity to tweak the software some more. Its the idle hands syndrome.

It should be shipping anytime now. . .

We found that with the Alix (and the Intel platform) the contention for the USB interface caused real problems with the audio. (Windows seems to manage this better, but will never work on an Alix.) Adding a separate USB interface made it all work. The special one we are using also has additional isolation for the on board oscillator and all of the on board power is separately derived.

The system is working and doing so pretty well. We have only tested the USB audio class 2 with Wavelength's Wavelink. I'm trying to get something else using the code so we can see if there are other problems. The special hardware interface makes a big difference, a strong argument for the influence of supply noise on the audio.

The sheetmetal is still being tweaked, and every delay gives me the dubious opportunity to tweak the software some more. Its the idle hands syndrome.

It should be shipping anytime now. . .

Using this place as marketing platform for your (future) products and at the same time for quite some time as source for inspiration (We're discussing USB isolation and noise issues and more and related effects for more then 3 years over here if I count correctly) I do consider inappropriate.
"What you guys found recently" has been a known fact for years.

I'm looking forward to find out more about your non-commercial contributions to the DIY community.

We're discussing USB isolation and noise issues and more and related effects for more then 3 years over here if I count correctly)
"What you guys found recently" has been a known fact for years.

Would you mind posting a link to a discussion (preferrably of yours, but just any will do) about using an extension USB port card with quality/enhanced crystal clock for the USB controller and separated power supplies?

ecdesigns did this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/79452-building-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-54.html#post957782

He tried alot of different approaches with those adaptive TI chips. Probably more than was worthwhile. Nothing to do with linux though.

I've been running Johns USB receiver and reclocker for quite some time. ( He was feeding the receiver with bus-power btw!!)

All I say is at some point real life conditions and theoretical respectively mostly questionable measurement results need to be compared.

There is a reason why John developed his SD card player.

Cheers

Souncheck, ok you use the ec designs reclocker, but have you used it with the pci usb card which had particular power supplies and clock configurations?

You seemed to be dismissing 1audio's shared experience on the grounds that this was old news and marketing, but I don't think anyone in this thread has suggested addressing the computers usb interface, let alone the specific implementation on an alix board.

I, for one, am glad when knowledgable manufacturers share their ideas, especially in this case, it is not at all overbearing. Hopefully he will still post when there is something to share that may be of interest to others.

Maybe someone can help...
I am running Linux Mint into a dac, and everything works fine, except one thing: I only can play music through Rhythmbox. No VLC, Amarok or whatever. When I use headphones or the laptop speakers, these work.
So I searched via google for a solution, but I just didn't get it working.
Somehow Rhythmbox has exclusive rights, and I cannot fix it. But I am sure it is simple...

That aside it is a real loss that all the Linux tweaks from Klaus disappeared from the entire net.
I managed to set up two or three of them and every time it was a nice stepup in sound quality.

Cheers,

Juergen

I am running Linux Mint into a dac, and everything works fine, except one thing: I only can play music through Rhythmbox. No VLC, Amarok or whatever. When I use headphones or the laptop speakers, these work.

If I understand correctly, you have two sound cards. The internal one in your laptop is configured OK. Whereas only Rhythmbox can play into your USB soundcard (your DAC).

First question - does your Mint use pulseaudio, or is it running KDE without it?

I deleted pulseaudio, so there should be no problem from this side. And yes, the internal soundcard works with all players, the external dac only with Rhythmbox.
I tried to install/reinstall alsa and the players, with no effect. I think it is a simple reason, that RB has the exlusive rights to use that dac. But simple or not, I don't get it....

I deleted pulseaudio, so there should be no problem from this side. And yes, the internal soundcard works with all players

The reason your internal soundcard works with all players at the same time is that in alsa the "default" device is configured through the dmix plugin, see Dmix - ALSA wiki . You can check output of aplay -v (verbose mode, see the dmix kicking in):

Code:
aplay -v -D default some-your.wav

the external dac only with Rhythmbox.
...RB has the exlusive rights to use that dac.

Exactly, if Rhythmbox occupies a sound card without the dmix plugin, it has exclusive access and no other process can use the device.

You can check which process is holding your device by

Code:
sudo lsof /dev/snd/*

Device numbers are found by

Code:
aplay -l

If you want best quality, I am afraid you cannot use mixing (dmix, pulseaudio, etc.) since it involves resampling. Just choose your favourite player and configure it to play on your USB DAC via the plug plugin. It means setting the alsa device name to plug:CARDNAME , where CARDNAME is the first string listed for the USB soundcard in aplay -l. E.g. the CARDNAME for usb dac listed in aplay -l on page Mandriva Forum (en) • View topic - Howto use USB sound, not mobo chip? would be Audio.

Thanks for this detailed information...
It is no problem to use just one player, but it should also play video files, which rhythmbox doesn't.
As I am no Linux expert, I would need a command line to set it up for e.g. VLC .
I tried figure it out it for 1hr now, and I don't get it. Linux is nice, sounds good, but is p.i.t.a for "average" people like me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.