Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I should state that my intention was never to turn you into a believer, I couldn't care less whether you believe or not. I know what i hear and that's all that truly matters to me.

That's fine and good for you. At the end it is all about personal joy. Hopefully everybody else reading this thread understands the "better sound" of win7 compared to ubuntu studio is a personal preference and not a hard fact.

Enjoy your music :)

DeadBeef... cover arts OK

Hello Dear

I just discovered I didn't set up DeadBeef correctly. You can get coverart if you have the cover file into the folder... it looks really nice... I need to see the cover!

Pietro

Attachments

• DeadBeef.jpg
    DeadBeef.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 254
I don't need you to tell me to be happy with things. I can be happy perfectly without your approval, recommendation or suggestions.

phofman is making friends again. :D

Beside that he is talking about Windows as if he'd tried e.g. J.River lately.
!!phofman running audio on a Windows system!! No, No I wouldn't
believe that. ;)

BTW: Those of you not following my Squeezebox thread. Did I tell you that
my Windows 7 is performing ways better as a streaming server over
ethernet then my Linux server (the same machine).
Inmate TBM made me aware of it. And guess what! He was right.

The Linux world need to watch out not to drift into the wrong direction.
Ignorance and arrogance is most contraproductive. Listen to what people
say and act accordingly is IMO the way to go.

Cheers

@phofman

1. You can't just disable or remove pulseaudio on a Debian based system.
You'll end up with a broken system!
that's not true (at least not anymore).

The problem appeared in some older version of Ubuntu (perhaps "karmic") but have been solved in newer releases. IIRC neither Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "lucid" nor 10.10 "Maverick" are affected.

IIRC Debian never had this problem (for sure, it's not there in the just released version 6.0 "Squeeze").

Of course, likely you can't remove from the system all of the p.a. libraries. That is, you can't remove the p.a. shared libraries (package libpulse* in Squeeze) if you are using other software which depends on it (such as the Gnome and/or KDE4 desktop or some of the related applications). But the mere presence of the libraries does not imply that you have to use them (and it does not affect the sound stream in any way if you are not using the p.a. sound server).

The pulseaudio sound server (package pulseaudio) can be removed without problems:

sudo aptitude purge pulseaudio

(or using a GUI-based package manager), and that's the easiest way to make sure that p.a. is not used anywhere. :)

Last edited:
that's not true (at least not anymore).

IIRC Debian never had this problem (for sure, it's not there in the just released version 6.0 "Squeeze").

The problem appeared in some older version of Ubuntu (perhaps "karmic") but have been solved in newer releases. IIRC neither Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "lucid" nor 10.10 "Maverick" are affected.

Of course, likely you can't remove from the system all of the p.a. libraries. That is, you can't remove the p.a. shared libraries (package libpulse* in Squeeze) if you are using other software which depends on it (such as the Gnome and/or KDE4 desktop or some of the related applications).

But you are not forced to keep the pulseaudio sound server (package pulseaudio). Let alone to use it.

I'm using the most actual stuff.
After removing pulseaudio you can forget using gnome-mixer-(applet). You need to have a special ppa installed to install those broken apps.

oh no, yet another player! :D

Despite what is claimed I couldn't get cover art tags working, nor it does show the album arts saved in each album directory ( I call it "Folder.jpg" for Win compatibility).
probably because you forgot that Linux is case sensitive. In windoze "Folder.jpg" or "folder.jpg" are the same file... in Unix/Linux they are NOT!

Likely you have to rename all of them as "folder.jpg" (all small letters).

DeaDBeeF sounds quite good on my T-Mobile G-2 (Android). Better I think than Meridian. Much better than anything I have been able to get from an Apple iOS device. I don't have the patience to try it on an X86 Linux platform yet.

Demian,

Any ETA on on your PK-USB server? It's something that I might be very interested in since I haven't had the time to wire up a decent power supply for my Alix.

phofman is making friends again. :D

Beside that he is talking about Windows as if he'd tried e.g. J.River lately.
!!phofman running audio on a Windows system!! No, No I wouldn't
believe that. ;)

BTW: Those of you not following my Squeezebox thread. Did I tell you that
my Windows 7 is performing ways better as a streaming server over
ethernet then my Linux server (the same machine).
Inmate TBM made me aware of it. And guess what! He was right.

The Linux world need to watch out not to drift into the wrong direction.
Ignorance and arrogance is most contraproductive. Listen to what people
say and act accordingly is IMO the way to go.

Cheers

Hey SC,

Hehe, that's forums for ya.

Yeah, something about Win 7 with WASAPI and Foobar/Jriver is pretty darn good considering how easy it is to get up and running.

-Raja

How do you organize your collection?
as an organized file system tree. My player is just:
Code:
$ cd /path/to/desired/album/
$ play *.flac
searches are simply done using "locate" or "find" and/or "grep" (often on pre-prepared collection tree listing).

As simple and effective as it can be. :D

I've find out that my huge (terabyte sized) music collection is way too large for just about any player I've tried to manage. Music collections DBs on most (all?) players clearly have never been thought for (let alone tested on) such large collections and simply does not scale. They all become way too slow and inefficient.

XBMC (which I use for multimedia) kind of works, but for me the simple command line is far more effective, quick and practical to use.

GUIs are for the dumb. Real man use CLI. ;)

So you agree that running process my alter noise levels which could leak into the digital and audio realm?
noise in the digital stream can hardly change anything (unless it's so huge to alter the bits, something which of course is NEVER the case for a working system).

Indeed "noise" may affect internal sound cards (if that's what you use) or possibly jitter if you are using a synchronous link (such as S/PDIF or old standard USB) to an external DAC. There may be other minor effects via EMI/RFI, too.

But, as Phofman correctly stated, the most likely source of audible differences are the various level of processing (DSP) done on the actual bit streams.

A volume control, a mixer, not to mention any equalizer or SRC, etc will surely make way much more sound difference than any amount of "noise" in the PC.

Get rid of pulseaudio and any other useless stuff. Use e.g. a Debian or Ubuntu "server edition" CD to install from scratch a really minimal system. Do not even install any GUI. Just the kernel with shell and basic tools, alsa staff and sox. That's it.

Work from the Linux VTs. Use alsamixer to control the sound card and simply use "aplay" or "play" (that is, sox) outputting directly to the bare ALSA device (hw:x.y, not plughw*).

That way you can be sure that your digital audio stream is kept clean and untouched.

Then, if your DAC supports bitrates/resolutions higher than 44/16, you can start playing with sox (again, from the CLI) and it's many SRC algorithms and options to improve the sound. Knowing exactly what you're doing and why.

You'll be surprised...

Last edited:
can you elaborate on this?

HOW would (could...) it be better and WHY?

E.g. because Logitech screwed up something when porting the squeezebox server to linux? IMO it would be rather simple to research and draw conclusions. But that is not the way the authors of the claim operate, simplification attracts much more followers. People like it when instructions are simple and universal.

>>But, as Phofman correctly stated, the most likely source of audible differences are the various level of processing (DSP) done on the actual bit streams.

Usually he states something like that if bits are bit-perfect delivered to the receiver there won't be any difference on soundquality.

And that is simply said -- wrong.

You won't find 2 soundcards which sound the same even if fed bit-perfect.
There are numerous reasons for that. And a major one is the cards ability
to cope with the incoming stream - ( stream in physical not in logical terms).

I do agree that slaved transports, not to forget well isolated transports and
real well done reclockers cause much less issues then the estimated
remaining 99.9% of setups out there.
That 99.9% though I wouldn't call neglectable. It takes huge efforts to clean up the mess induced by computer based transports. (Assuming we're talking about serious audio performances as a goal).

No guys. It's not as easy as it might look.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.