Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps it is easier to get started with Cuda on Nividia GPUs.

Koon ( koonlab.com) showed a FIR filter use-case and how it works under
Windows. He claims that it is much faster then going the "traditional" route.
Makes sense -- doesn't it?

Perhaps Koons stuff is portable quite easily to Linux.

The Cuda stuff is available to the Linux community.

E.g.

CUDA 2.3 Downloads

SteveSun,

I have no experience with PS3, but I wonder if there is a working code for audio DSP on the cell coprocessors.

I will look for them! But with one thing in mind though: the Slim does not support Linux anymore (basically, Sony killed Yellowdog Linux). I will upgrade my yellowdog linux on my PS-3s to the most recent version, and start looking for what we need. From my experience on PS-3, there have to be something out there (maybe not in Ubuntu, but very good chance to find in Yellowdog, and their source codes). All DSP programs are based on FFT, and at IBM Cell Supporting web site, FFT is a typical example they show people how to program Cell... ;) If not, I am a mathematician, and I used to be a programmer on at least 10 different platforms... You know what I mean...

I will look for them! But with one thing in mind though: the Slim does not support Linux anymore (basically, Sony killed Yellowdog Linux). I will upgrade my yellowdog linux on my PS-3s to the most recent version, and start looking for what we need. From my experience on PS-3, there have to be something out there (maybe not in Ubuntu, but very good chance to find in Yellowdog, and their source codes). All DSP programs are based on FFT, and at IBM Cell Supporting web site, FFT is a typical example they show people how to program Cell... ;) If not, I am a mathematician, and I used to be a programmer on at least 10 different platforms... You know what I mean...

The whole OSS audio world will praise and worship you if you make this work :) Thanks a lot.

Perhaps it is easier to get started with Cuda on Nividia GPUs.

Koon ( koonlab.com) showed a FIR filter use-case and how it works under
Windows. He claims that it is much faster then going the "traditional" route.
Makes sense -- doesn't it?

Perhaps Koons stuff is portable quite easily to Linux.

The Cuda stuff is available to the Linux community.

E.g.

CUDA 2.3 Downloads

Hi Soundcheck: I am wondering what is the list of the softwares that we need to implement on Linux. I am investigating the possibility of doing them on Yellowdog Linux on PS-3.

PS-3 uses a Nividia GPU and a Cell Processor with 8 user available (Sony disabled one) PPU and SPU units (parallel CPU), and if you do a google search: "PS3 Supercomputer" you are going to see lots of hits about using PS3 as a supercomputer...

Hi Siqdiz,

By directly connected do you mean galvanicaly connected? c'est á dire with no isolation? Soundcheck and others have recommended isolation of USB signal to prevent excess noise from PC to pollute the DAC. I obeyed and use now a simple and cheap method based on microtransformers:

USB Isolator. « Circuits@Home

It works wonderfully. ;)

Excuses if all the above is already known. :)
Regards,
M.

That is very good information, I do hear harddisk access through my 98db/w speakers.

Soundcheck and others have recommended isolation of USB signal to prevent excess noise from PC to pollute the DAC. I obeyed and use now a simple and cheap method based on microtransformers:

USB Isolator. « Circuits@Home

It works wonderfully. ;)

much better than that, then I would use a fiber optic link based USB isolator/extender...

Last edited:
Did you try to power your DAC with an independent PSU first? The power in PC is VERY noisy.

The USB DAC is built inside the tube amplifier. Downside is high voltage AC near the DAC. The noise is coming from the PC so separate PSU will not help this. I'm currently building a cirrus logic DAC based on one of the eBay DAC boards. To eliminate noise I will use fiber optic cable.

To get back on-topic; Nothing beats controlling your HTPC from the sofa and be able to access all my music from one centralized location. Removable media is dead. :D My setup is nothing special, I use the Azalia codec based integrated soundcard, it puts out 44khz bit perfect so this is ideal.

Linux Audio Wiki Back

Hi folks.

I just started to get my Linux Audio Wiki back in place.

It'll take a while to get it filled up again of course.

Linux Audio Wiki

I started with a small article about a no frill command line player
approach, which will sound better as most of the stuff you've listened
on any OS. ( phofman that's nothing for you :D )

Any feedback welcome!

Cheers

Good work on the wiki Soundcheck. All in all this thread has been a great source of info.

I am now using mpd and controlling it through mpod (a free app.though I would pay for it) on an itouch and through minion as a firefox addon. MPD is a challenge but worth it in the end..at the moment I am using Ubuntu Karmic but might well move over to Linux Mint.

The whole process has been a good learning curve for me wrt linux and I now dual boot my new laptop and use it as a development machine for when I am away.

My intention is to use my usb dac but that bit isn't integrated as of yet and I am still using mp3 files. I have settled on dbpoweramp (even though there is a charge) to rip my collection.

My question is how do I get MPD and ALSA to play flac and / or wav files? I keep hunting through the wiki but can't work it out. Maybe one of you MPD linux experts can help?

Thanks.

Hi folks.

Would be nice if anybody could try my commandline player example in the Wiki.

I'd be interested if 1. it s manageble to do for the "average" user 2. it delivers the soundquality I am promising. Please try example 8.

@ackcheng: You're running Pure Music ( the current ultimate player (iTunes-plugin) on a MAC) right? Would be nice if you could give it a try.

Today i fixed two amixer init-scripts for the HDSP 9632. This way there is no
need to use HDSPmixer/HDSPconf for initializing the card. This way you can run it in recovery mode. Let me know if you are interested. Later on I'll put them on the Wiki anyhow.

Cheers

So you need a dummy? That's an easy task for me :rolleyes:

I just followed your advices, with the exception I only needed to install schedtool, the other programs are already present, as well as the rt-kernel.

I adjusted the correct alsa device as well.

But, if I then type 'sudo eca440h' I get an 'command not found' error.

(Yes, I did a reboot...)

when running eca440h as the current user, I get:

/dev/shm/<myfile.wav>ERROR: could not set PID 5385 to F: SCHED_FIFO - Operation not permitted

Rüdiger

Last edited:
>>So you need a dummy?

I wouldn't call it dummy? ;) I need a/some serious trustworthy non-biased tester(s). :D

Your issue:

Did you configure /etc/security/limits.conf as described?
Do a

more /etc/security/limits.conf

if you find those 3 lines in that file?

After you configured those lines you need to reboot.

As user root you wouldn't have these limitations. ( sudo su)

Don't forget to copy the users .bashrc to /root, otherwise you won't be able to run that eca.. alias as root and if you login into recovery mode.

BTW:

I'd suggest to have these kind of discussions which refer to a specific Wiki page in the "Wiki" section.
As you might know each Wiki page comes with separate thread. This way you can constructively develop that specific wiki further as a community effort.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.