Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
soundcheck said:
THX for the feedback. Good to see that you managed to get it working.

I added the brutefir stdin device config to the Wiki.

"skip all the tracks in a playlist randomly" What's that supposed to mean?

Cheers

No problem, thank you for the excellent guide/advice :)

By skip all the tracks I mean just that. It skips through to the end of a playlist without playing the tracks in it. Does this randomly during the middle of a song.... weird? Dont worry about it, if it hasnt ever happened to you its probably just a quirk due to something I've got wrong... I'l sort it.

I'm now curious about other clients, not that minion isnt good, just wonder if there are better ones out there... any one tried others?

I use Minion because it's so convenient to have a Firefox client on any machine in the network.

I do agree that there are some weaknesses.

However, even my family can use it and is using it. And this is currently priority one for me.

BTW: Are you running Minion 1.99.25 (available for download on Google-code) . If not, you' d try it.

Does the skipping happens with your brutefir config in place?
Perhaps a buffer issue on the brutefir input.

Wow, thanks for the tip about updated minion, this once is very nice :devilr:

I dont think its a buffer problem as it doesnt break brutefir when it does it, I can just start another song and it plays....

It hasnt done it in a while now, starting to think it might have been something to do with me messing with getting my palm to work as a client.... :smash:

Got that working by the way, which is uber cool... colour touch screen controls right on the desk....

Klaus, thanks for your support. Unfortunatly, it still does not work. The card works properly, but with random index each time I reboot.
Originally posted by soundcheck

You need to assign the index to the DRIVER. For e.g. RME cards this will be snd-hdsp

your line should be then:

options snd-hdsp index=1

I do indeed have a RME Card. How can I figure out the sound driver(s) actually in use by the system?

Rüdiger

Run:

lsmod | grep snd

you should find the drivers snd_hda_intel and snd_hdsp, beside the other ALSA internal modules.

make sure that "option snd-hda-intel index=0" is configured and all others ( beside snd-hdsp) are configured with index=-2

Hint:
If a module is not loaded you can try do it manually, at least to see if the system complains about something. You can type:

sudo modprobe snd <tab> <tab> (this will list all available modules starting with "snd"), just continue to type the module name.

Soundcheck, a quick question about the wiki:
I notice that in example 6 & 7 in the "pipe" section you introduce the setting auto_resample "no". From the mpd.conf man page it seems like this setting only has an effect if using alsa as the output device. Also why introduce it only in the last two examples, all the previous ones use the same "pipe" setting... ?

Theo404 said:
Soundcheck, a quick question about the wiki:
I notice that in example 6 & 7 in the "pipe" section you introduce the setting auto_resample "no". From the mpd.conf man page it seems like this setting only has an effect if using alsa as the output device. Also why introduce it only in the last two examples, all the previous ones use the same "pipe" setting... ?

Hi there.

The main reason is that at the time of writing there was no description of the pipe module.
I did more or less a copy/paste of the Alsa output config. I rather leave stuff in there to avoid surprises. It won't hurt if it is in there.

But you're absolutely right, it should only impact the Alsa output.

Good to see that somebody uses the Wiki-stuff and reports these little flaws. ;) I'll fix the inconsistencies asap. THX.

Cheers

I still have two problems with mpd and/or minion

1.) the slider in minion doesn't allow to, well, slide in the currently played song.
2.) trying to make mpd playing a radiostream results in an error message: 'ACK [50@0] {add} unsupported URI scheme'
According to some sources on the net, I would need a program/packet named 'libcurl'. Has somebody had that issue and solved it?

Rüdiger

EDIT: meanwhile, I installed the packet libcurl4 -gnutls-dev, but it still doesn't work...

soundcheck said:

Hi there.

The main reason is that at the time of writing there was no description of the pipe module.
I did more or less a copy/paste of the Alsa output config. I rather leave stuff in there to avoid surprises. It won't hurt if it is in there.

But you're absolutely right, it should only impact the Alsa output.

Good to see that somebody uses the Wiki-stuff and reports these little flaws. ;) I'll fix the inconsistencies asap. THX.

Cheers

Your wiki is brilliant, many thanks for taking the time to put it together!

I hear ya about avoiding surprises, seems like a treacherous path to making sure that no resampling or any such messing about with the audio stream happens. So I'l put it in as well.

Unrelated question, but I gather that you have removed Pulseaudio from your setup. How did you go about doing this? I tried removing it via synaptic, only to be greeted on reboot with an incredibly slowed down gnome desktop. Everything moved like treacle, for example, clicking on 'Applications' in the top bar it would take several seconds to open the menu, which would have been instant before (this is on a 3ghz core2duo system)... Couldnt work out why, so I reinstalled pulseaudio in synaptic and rebooted.... back to normal! What the hell? I now understand why in previous versions (hardy) uninstalling pulseaudio in synaptic resulted in it auto selecting gnome for uninstallation.... But why??? I guess there must be dependencies that arnt apparent... So how did you uninstall it without it causing unbelievable system slow down?

Thanks.

Theo404 said:

Unrelated question, but I gather that you have removed Pulseaudio from your setup. How did you go about doing this?

You are right. No pulseaudio installed.

Pulseaudio is like a parasite. It aims for infecting the whole organism.
Meanwhile every single piece of audio related software plus operating system
and windows manager is infected. It is getting worse from release to release.

At a certain stage you have to enter into symbiosis with the parasite, otherwise if you try
to get rid of it you'll kill the whole organism.

Honestly - no idea what went wrong on your setup. ( I havn't updated my Linux yet. I am still on Intrepid resp. Felicia and waiting for Gloria)

The important things I really need (kernel, alsa, sox, ecasound, brutefir, mpd) are all compiled from git/cvs sources anyhow. That's why I am not in hurry to upgrade to the next OS release.

Cheers

Onvinyl said:
Hi klaus,
in your mpd install wiki, there is a "sudo ./configure" before "sudo make" missing...
Rüdiger

EDIT: and you might consider libcurl4-gutls-dev in your Dependencies-List...

1. No. ./configure is not missing. I use autgen.sh instead.
2. I added your library

3. I cleaned up and hopefully also improved quite some stuff in the Wiki today. See Changelog

4. The ones of you guys using Sox for upsampling have a look at my new chosen
options "-I -a" , that'll give an e.g. " rate -v -s -I -a 96000"
Try these. Let me know if you hear an improvement.

Cheers

Hi there.

A question to the Linux networker around here. How do you guys manage your network
in terms of DHCP and fixed addressing.

I currently have DHCP configured all over the network.
I need to switch -at least for the servers- to a fixed addressing scheme.
Otherwise I get randomnly assigned IP addresses, which will messup my MPD and NFS settings

I am wondering, if anybody has a solution to this combined DHCP and fixed addressing scheme.

The other challenge: my current server is a notebook, which needs the fixed addressing in the home-network and a DHCP addressing in any other network.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.