does anyone on here use JRiver media centre?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
was wondering if any of you were using the latest of this for your audio /video its pretty awesome to use even if it takes a while to get used i recommend it to anyone who has not tried it really gets the best out of whatever equipment you are using! Also if anyone was using it with electrostatic speakers and what settings they use I would be interested to hear:)

I used to have a license... ...10 years or more ago. ( for test purposes - never really used it - never really liked it - never really liked the attitude of the JRMC folks)

And then. I'm wondering if anybody is still interested in old school audio software on a Windows PC !?!?!?

And 2nd
...willing to pay these JRMC upgrade fees all the time.
Especially if there a numerous great free of charge packages out there

But that're just my 2 cents.

Enjoy.

yes the licence fee can get annoying but they do constantly update it to staty current-every couple of weeks you get a program version upgrade for free and they do have a custom DAC program they write themselves that does a fantastic job makes my system sound and play better than anything else ive tried anyway -they do have 4k video and upscaling too which is good to use-but hey everyone has there favourite :)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Rather than start a new thread thought would wake this one up. I've just tried Jriver media centre to see if it would solve some issues I have and TBH underwhelmed. It does fix one problem, but doesn't seem to immediately justify its cost .

The reason I tried it was that I have just installed ubuntu on a laptop for some general purpose duties since the BBC decided to depricate iPlayer support for my TV and was fed up losing mine whenever we wanted to watch something online. As this is effectively a dedicated media machine I thought I would have a go at sorting the niggles I have with the current setup for playing digital files on the main system using mpd.

Niggle 1 is that whatever I try I cannot get mpd to do gapless play. 98% of the time this isn't an issue, but a few CDs just have to have it to not sound wrong. I miss the days when classical CDs used the index function and CD players supported it!

Niggle 2 is that gmpc is a little limited in the search capabilities and not particularly user friendly.

So I loaded Jriver. Getting it running has been a challenge as it wants to completely wreck Pulse audio every few minutes, but finally wrestled that to the ground and tried to import one directory to test. 5 hours later it had finished the import. Boggle. Mpd rescans the whole server in under 5 minutes.

Now to try finding and playing a few tracks. Suddenly gmpc doesn't seem so clanky after all. Sure Jriver gives a pretty album cover view, but when you have a decent size library you really don't browse that way. CD found, track selected, pulse audio restarted for the 3rd time today and it plays and is gapless, but the UI is not responsive and I cannot see a justification for the price.

I can only assume that my desired workflow is not the one it's optimised for.

I've used JRMC for quite a few years...now on version 22. All of my music is on a Netgear ReadyNAS drive but I also have a fairly large library on micro SD in my Win PC for travel. Library maintenance is straightforward and it works well with my Squeezebox player and smart TVs.

I have been using JRMC for close to a decade for my music server and computer audio. The sound quality is great. I do not use the DSP functions. JRemote works great with the Ipad for control.
While the constant upgrade process is annoying, it is not a deal killer. The older versions work fine. I run 23 on my systems, I have friend who still uses 19. You do not have to upgrade if you don't want to.
I have learned the hard way to only have one player manage one set of music files. Each player leaves its data attached to the files and they do not always get along.
I never liked Itunes for Windows. It always feels like Apple is trying to control my music and make me buy from them only. Also I don't think it sounds as good as JRMC.

Just my two cents.

I'm using JRMC since several years and like it. Yes, the initial license fee is USD 60.--, but annual updates are only USD 20.--. It now offers Radio Paradise and some JRMC music streams in FLAC quality. For me, this alone justifies the price. I'm storing about 1000 CD's and some HiRes downloads on a small PC (tucked away in a lowboard) and control everything from an iPad. Excellent audio quality on all sample rates.

I am a JRMC (Windows) user from years. Until v21 or v22 it sounded as good than foobar2000.

After, foobar2000 until sounded better with the SACD plugin but now JRMC v24.0.75 64bits sounds better too and not just with FLAC. And as every soft player has to be configured well for maximum sound quality, something that very few do! And the OS to play multimedia too, of course.

In Windows, to watch films the best soft is the Media Classic Player (inside K-Lite Pack) + ffdshow and madVR. Much better than JRMC, VLC and others. Much better.

archimago madvr - Google Search

The one that is expensive is Roon, hence he has not tried it.

I am not subscribed to any streaming service and I doubt it will be in the future because of the loudness war!

Last edited:
JRemote works great with the Ipad for control.

Hi
I’m considering that very same combination (JRMC) with … JRemote controlled with an iPad
IME, many apps are sized, i.e. optimised for the iPhone. When used on an iPad, they are just stretched to fill the screen, with super large fonts etc. Rather than being optimised for the big screen
my iPad has the 12.9 inch screen, which … magnifies the problem

What size iPad are you using, and does it look on yours?

Thank you

Satisfied user for 4 or 5 years, 99% audio. I use it as a DSP active x-over (4-way speakers). IF I am any complaint, it doesn't do video well. My "audio" output is via HDMI to a 8-channel DAC; if I try to play a video in JRMC it decodes surround ... usually correct, but not when the "surround" channels are mapped to sub, woof, mid, tweeter x 2 :) Since I don't have true home theater, I use VLan and lpbk (2 channel win audio into JRMC) and the world is bright and happy. Yes, it is a paid product but you really have no cause to complain: free trial, pay once, if you don't want upgrades you don't have to. On the other hand, if you be a Linux wizard, by all means do the same thing with freeware :)

I had no idea that the scope and capabilities of what I thought of as a very good media player had sprawled as far as handling active crossovers!
I’m glad you mentioned that …

Do you know if many people use JR for crossovers?

A tangent to the original topic, but I ask because I’m going to diy some speakers - quite possibly active.
Obviously people’s ability and preparedness to spend more money on a solution can vary enormously. Me, I would be prepared to spend on eg miniDSP, as it’s less than the drivers cost, and I want to avoid any ”notable” compromises
I was intending to use miniDSP. As miniDSP systems include an “electronics box“ for eg a couple of hundred dollars, are you aware of any basic limitations of the JR approach - “software only“, and a function which is an addon to the media playing - rather than dedicated to crossover design/ customisation etc?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.