Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Save the old laptop
Save the old laptop
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2018, 09:57 AM   #1
jaser is offline jaser
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default Save the old laptop

How to save a laptop that has been on hold for five months ? Is there a way to access the computer without entering a password as i forgot its login password.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 10:22 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
JonSnell Electronic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Jurassic Coast, England. GB
If it is a windows user password, not an issue, remove the hard drive, place it in a usb caddie and copy your files on to another computer.
If a hard drive password. That is it, no way of recovering any data.
__________________
Support for Fender, Marshall and all Valve Equipment; Audio Innovations, Audiorama FU29, Quad and Leak. www.jonsnell.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 01:01 PM   #3
lcsaszar is online now lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Or boot it from a bootable USB pendrive with Linux, then you get access to the HDD. There are also rescue CD-s around and good descriptions on their use on the net.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 03:15 PM   #4
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
JonSnell Electronic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Jurassic Coast, England. GB
If the hdd has a password, it is not possible to access anything, not even to re format the drive! But, we don't know which password is involved. So we are guessing.
__________________
Support for Fender, Marshall and all Valve Equipment; Audio Innovations, Audiorama FU29, Quad and Leak. www.jonsnell.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:01 AM   #5
jaser is offline jaser
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsaszar View Post
Or boot it from a bootable USB pendrive with Linux, then you get access to the HDD. There are also rescue CD-s around and good descriptions on their use on the net.
Thanks , can i boot it from bootable USB pendrive with Windows ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018, 05:47 AM   #6
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Pray tell grasshopper...where doth this 'bootable USB pendrive with Windows' dwell ??
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018, 02:51 PM   #7
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: High Wycombe, Bucks, UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaser View Post
How to save a laptop that has been on hold for five months ? Is there a way to access the computer without entering a password as i forgot its login password.
Assuming Windows laptop and drive not encrypted or otherwise locked.

Many small Linux distributions/utilities can blank or allow new password to be set. Just pick one and write it to bootable USB stick.

However, Win-fricking-10 may cause more problems if it is creator's update and the drives are never really closed (WIN10 tends to hibernate/Suspend leaving the drives apparently active). In which case you will need to boot at least a small Linux dist to "remove_hiberfile" to mount it r/w.

You may need to web search a little to refine the method.

J.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2018, 07:32 AM   #8
jaser is offline jaser
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
Assuming Windows laptop and drive not encrypted or otherwise locked.

Many small Linux distributions/utilities can blank or allow new password to be set. Just pick one and write it to bootable USB stick.

However, Win-fricking-10 may cause more problems if it is creator's update and the drives are never really closed (WIN10 tends to hibernate/Suspend leaving the drives apparently active). In which case you will need to boot at least a small Linux dist to "remove_hiberfile" to mount it r/w.

You may need to web search a little to refine the method.

J.
Thanks ,If it's a simple process, I'm willing to try
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 09:26 AM   #9
Bkaser is offline Bkaser
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaser View Post
Thanks , can i boot it from bootable USB pendrive with Windows ?
Sure , make a bootable USB disk for your locked laptop , which can be used to reset your login password ,
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 10:05 AM   #10
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SW Florida
Save the old laptop
The Linux boot is the first thing to try. I've done it several times with good success.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Save the old laptopHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Save an amp? Grinditout Car Audio 12 16th January 2017 11:06 PM
FS: Accuton C90-6-079 New in box SAVE! Jed Swap Meet 2 3rd June 2014 10:42 AM
Scrap or save? Burnedfingers Tubes / Valves 11 6th September 2003 05:33 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki