PC based audio works quite good for me when: NOT using HDMI

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been using a Yamaha RX-V681 with software xo's on my computer for a couple years now, while planning my next setup (which is starting to take form).

Honestly, I think it would be much better (and cheaper) to get a cheap but proper dac make some regular analog active xo's, get some 3e-audio TPA3250 kits.

Very happy with the receiver, it is capable of good quality sound reproduction (when using source direct/super direct or whatever it's called). When using 24bit 96khz stereo through spdif it sounds very good! Anlog inputs also sound very good.

Using HDMI:
I've tried several different software solutions, and none of them are reliable + simple enough for every single day family use, and then there are the neverending quality issues.

Windows drivers:
The quality issues are probably not caused by the many wonderful and helpful programs, if using WDM (or MME) drivers it just works reasonably well, but for some reason ACTUAL bit depth on output is 16bit, even if it says 24bit in ALL menu options!
I have a fairly large amount of 24bit lossless material, and it took me quite a while to figure out why the f*** the sound quality was seemingly worse than a previous setup using a good quality usb dac with good drivers + some regular minidsp 2x4 kits.

Asio4all:
Using ASIO4all I can get real 24 bit audio through HDMI and it does sound a little bit better, but for some reason it glitches, almost like there's some packages of audio being played out of order. Everything is set correctly, no differences in sample rate or bit depth. Even tried playing with resampling but no success.

Better:
Proper working DAC - minidsp2x4 analog in - minidsp2x4 analog out - lots of LM3886 - Speaker drivers

Significantly worse:
Various solutions for Virtual loopback - Various software for handling xo's - WDM (or 24 bit through asio4all) drivers - HDMI interface on receiver - Speaker drivers

PC based audio works quite good for me when: NOT using HDMI.

I have not found anyone else complaining about this, am I the only one?
HDMI, to me, currently presents more problems and less quality than it's worth, even though it should be very mature interface tech at this time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.