Analog to Digital Converter for Recording Vinyl to Computer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone recommend an affordable A to D converter for recording my vinyl to computer? Would rather not use the on board A to D converter on the motherboard.

I'ld like to record 24/96 or perhaps at 192

Depends on what your "computer" is....:)
Laptop..? Tower..?

However, ... onboard card for a tower....
M-Audio

Cheapest external might be this if your laptop has a firewire port...
M-Audio Firewire Audiophile |
M-AUDIO Audiophile Firewire Interfaz de audio 4 in / 6 out / MIDI. PC y MAC | eBay
M-Audio Firewire 24/96 | eBay
can be had for the price of a good lp

Last edited:
Could also be done with a standalone digital recorder with a good ADC and feed the line input from the output of your phono preamp. A friend used my PCM-M10 a year or so back to digitise his collection.

My preferred solution, Tascam makes one with good mic pre-amps so you have the additional option of recording flat and applying software RIAA (or any EQ you want). You do need a small box with cartridge termination, etc., not for everyone.

No driver/software/OS issues to deal with.

I have the DR-60D it was the most cost effective choice (~$170). I use it off of a USB battery pack. I have transferred some well recorded LP's and am happy. It is only 24/96 max and will not record MP3's directly. There might be better choices out there by now.

I have a Fostex FR2LE but the USB interface is no longer recognized by my computer and the 48V phantom power was broken by hot plugging. I used it to record the samples on the Linear Audio web site for my microphone article.

Hi, I use a SIIG CE-S70011-S1. Now discontinued, but can be had for low cost. (there is a clone of it as well that seems to be OK too) They were under $100 when first out. Does 24/96 native and will do 24/192 with software included. I put a Simaudio Moon LP3 in front of it and get super results. Clean up any ticks etc in Audacity. Then save as whatever type and resolution you want (up to the input level naturally). Watch out that Windows and Audacity will try to revert the output to CD quality. PS I tried two different M audios, two different Creatives and one Behringer. The SIIG worked better in my system. A decent PC is a must as the number crunching is not an easy task for some. An A6 or I3 is about the bottom level that will work. Monitoring the digital on the fly is tough on lower ones and the monitored sound being recorded will stutter.

Oh so you record the MM turntable output to the Mic in on the Tascam? I guess you wouldn't supply 48V phantom power then? I didn't realize that Microphone inputs were compatible with phono output.

Wouldn't it sound better from say a Salas pre vs software RIAA?

When you say small box for cartridge termination, does this mean the box's only purpose is for the ground wire coming from the turntable?

When you say small box for cartridge termination, does this mean the box's only purpose is for the ground wire coming from the turntable?

If you're not an experienced DIY circuit type then I would just go with something like Salas' pre it will work fine. I published the info on the impedance converter box in Linear Audio along with how to do the RIAA in Audacity. There is a lot of detail to worry about for those that are fussy most of which matters little to the average listener. If I sat down and detailed again the entire process you would probably not bother even though to me it seems like nothing, so it is best to say all the info is already in the article (I think Jan only charges $1 for a download).

The short story is the USB boxes and field recorders are made for microphone input and do not properly terminate a phono cartridge, but they do in general have low enough noise to simply need a buffer. The buffer has a very high input impedance so you can place the proper cartridge termination at its input (i.e. 47k || 200pF). The buffer drives the input of the recorder, being clever we can use the phantom power built into the recorder to power the buffer rather than a mic.

Hi, In relation to one of the responses. Yes you can do RIAA equalization in Audacity. Unfortunately you will lose some signal to noise ratio in doing so. I tried that a while back and because you are limited (by overload distortion) as to how strong the recorded signal going into the PC is you will forfeit at least 20 db in the S/N as it adjusts the signal to the RIAA curve. If you use a phonograph preamp to feed the PC with an already equalized signal then you will not lose the 20 db. Your ultimate S/N will that of the phono preamp. I thought having the PC do all the work was a neat solution until I heard the results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.