Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Analog to Digital Converter for Recording Vinyl to Computer?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2018, 02:27 AM   #21
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofar99 View Post
I thought having the PC do all the work was a neat solution until I heard the results.
Well this is not true by measurement and simply wrong. Unfortunately Channel D has apparently removed the AES paper with the measurements and data.
Old 13th May 2018, 10:28 AM   #22
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
You can find a very basic DSD ADC in this thread:

Very basic DSD ADC made with op-amps and logic gates

but I haven't figured out yet how to get the data into a computer.
Thank you.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:44 PM   #23
martyh is offline martyh  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently bought an alesis ml 9600 to record lps with the intention of doing some minor updates. After opening it I see it is not the easiest thing to work on so I will probably just go with external ad/da. The recorder is relatively inexpensive now and the files are easy enough to move to a computer via CDR. If I wasn’t so cheap I would have bought a Tascam da-3000 and been done with it.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:54 PM   #24
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

A lot has already been written in this thread.
Digitizing vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofar99 View Post
you will forfeit at least 20 db in the S/N as it adjusts the signal to the RIAA curve. If you use a phonograph preamp to feed the PC with an already equalized signal then you will not lose the 20 db. Your ultimate S/N will that of the phono preamp. I thought having the PC do all the work was a neat solution until I heard the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Well this is not true by measurement and simply wrong. Unfortunately Channel D has apparently removed the AES paper with the measurements and data.
http://www.channld.com/aes123.pdf

George
Old 13th May 2018, 01:32 PM   #25
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Would this work for you?
NuWave Phono Preamplifier | PS Audio
Old 13th May 2018, 01:42 PM   #26
gofar99 is offline gofar99  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi, Curious. A bit OT and likely much more than the OP wanted... I would like to have the link on the data about Audacity and RIAA. Those results differ from mine and I am always open to new ideas.
Old 13th May 2018, 02:10 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
George you can find anything. I confirmed their results, and note Audacity's RIAA filter is linear phase you can use the Nyquist prompt to do a proper minimum phase IIR RIAA.
Old 13th May 2018, 02:30 PM   #28
AudioLapDance is offline AudioLapDance  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
A lot has already been written in this thread.
Digitizing vinyl

http://www.channld.com/aes123.pdf

George
Thanks George, that's an awesome doc!

Filter Reconstruction and Program Material Characteristics Mitigating Word Length Loss in
Digital Signal Processing-Based Compensation Curves used for Playback of Analog Recordings

R. S. Robinson 2007

RIAA in bits.png

freq bal no RIAA.png

freq bal albums.png

"Setting aside the benefits of word length recovery in the bass because of digital compensation, as proven above: if truncation does occur, bass resolution truncation represents a more desirable alternative to resolution truncation in the midrange and treble; further, the perception of any “disadvantage” to word length truncation in the bass is unfounded, because of being more than compensated by the feature of digital resolution enhancement in the treble.

6. CONCLUSION
Digitally implemented de-emphasis filtering, used for playback of vinyl LP recordings, enhances the digital word length at low frequencies, similar to the reconstruction filters used for the playback of one-bit digital audio streams. The reconstructive properties of digital de-emphasis filtering, as shown here, in conjunction with the characteristics of most program material, will cause a typical overall bass resolution truncation of only one bit or less, significantly lower than the nearly 7 bits predicted by a casual analysis of digitally realized frequency emphasis playback compensation.

Exceptional, uncommonly encountered program material may cause a worst case bass truncation of approximately three bits, which is negligible considering the 24 bit resolution capability of modern analog to digital converters. In cases where bass word length truncation does occur, the disadvantage is balanced by the complementary enhancement of digital resolution, due to treble preemphasis, in the frequency range where human hearing is at its most sensitive.

Last edited by AudioLapDance; 13th May 2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 13th May 2018, 03:29 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I have a copy of the Bob Marley LP that I can use to set a worst case recording level. An interesting experiment might be to make a simultaneous recording of it using both techniques and run them through diffmaker.

Another technique for checking on levels is to take a very dynamic recording and apply inverse RIAA I would think that would give a good answer on how much allowance you need for crest factor increase. Another thing to remember is that ticks and pops do not see pre-emphasis so they don't figure into this and in fact it is worth studying pre vs post RIAA removal but there is only so much time.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 13th May 2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 13th May 2018, 04:02 PM   #30
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
and note Audacity's RIAA filter is linear phase you can use the Nyquist prompt to do a proper minimum phase IIR RIAA
Right Scott. I had good results following Website of Wayne Stegall - Digital Phono Equalization (your suggestion)
Just type the following:

(biquad-m s 1.315951e-02 -1.273543e-02 0.000000e+00 1.000000e+00 -1.867054e+00 8.674785e-01)

George
Attached Images
File Type: png Audacity RIAA.PNG (77.0 KB, 91 views)

Analog to Digital Converter for Recording Vinyl to Computer?Hide this!Advertise here!