Caps 3 PC system replaced with a Hi Quality DIY Renderer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been using a CA caps variant PC based music system for some years. IT has a async USB card and SSD fitted with LPS for 12v and 5v components.
A year ago I returned to vinyl, heavily rebuilding a technics 1200 and building a DCT phono pre. This excercise highlighted the shortfall with my digital system- a tiring sound with a lack of fine detail highlighted in piano and violin pieces.
At the time I was working on my vinyl a friend told me of a company in Switzerland who made digital audio boards for the OEM market and sold some with an evaluation board to the DIY market -a bit like Hypex in their early days.
Two months ago he sent me his DIY board for evaluation
I was hooked at first listen, using 24/96 files from Linn library I heard crystal clear piano violins, A bit gobsmacked this unit was producing the closest Ive heard to dear old analogue from any digital equipment ive had connected to my system.
I bought one and built it.
All the family young and old ears consider this is the best so far.
Ive now built my second unit so both my systems are on the new Renderers - CAPS SB touch etc all redundant.
I have mentioned this on the CA forum but there may be more interest here in the DIY project.
The company - engineered SA - electronic, engineering and consulting
The board, which includes the Mr-Mod module, their NMR board
Cost circa 420 Swiss Francs -total cost to me with carriage and EU duty into the UK was £ 340
IT needs an ethernet network in and outputs SPDIF ( I2S is available)
a power supply at 3.3v 450 ma-750 ma
a mini 75ohm SMG coax plug with RG179 cable between board and case outlet
a case
I run it from Jriver on my NAS a with J remote on an old ipad and ipod.
Ill try and post a photo but Ive had 3 attempts so far and all I get is locked out and have to retype this, so its my last go.
If i fail ask me for any more info on the build if needed.
The final case to match my Benchmarks
zkpYnH7.jpg

The inards, PSU on the RHS REg and NMR board on the left
jDN5UZc.jpg

I know the feeling-Ive another NMR to build for my Son and I note Hypex are revamping their panel amps with N core amps so Active Speakers are on the horizon.
Given you are in the UK the following may be useful to you.
Cinch UK were not very helpfull and I had to search out equivalents for the connection between the NMR coax output and the case rear panel. I used a Molex plug on the PCB and a BNC to BNC insulated rear panel connector. I used a BNC to 75ohm RCA between the NMR and my DAC.
I got a 75ohm BNC to BNC with RG179 cable on E bay from megabrockers stock clearanc for £3.95 cut it a few inches from one BNC and fitted the Molex onto the cable tail. The BNC fits onto the BNC rear panel connector as you can see in my photo.
This allowed a fully coaxial 75 ohm connection from NMR to DAC insulated from my chassis earth.

RF coax SMD rt angle plug 75ohm Molex 73100-0256 Farnell 190-9328
Adaptor BNC jack,BNC jack 750hm Neutrix NBB75FI Farnell 470-9597

My first unit I fitted into a Hammond case, aluminium with a slide off top.
Case aluminium 52*160*220mm Hammond 1455T2201BK Farnell 151-1228

Power supply is up to yourself, I used a 6,0,6 tfr and 2* LM3081' wired as a floating pre reg and reg. The reg is set for 3.3v and the pre reg such that the volts across each reg match to equate heat dissipation. They do not get hot but a small heatsink is needed to keep them cool. Hum & noise was around 0.4mv pk to pk on my scope.

If you decide to go ahead let us know how you get on- I can confidently say you will not be disappointed with the audio quality from the NMR board-and there is an I2S output on the board which may be of interest if you have built your own DAC

Searching the tread if anyone used Engineered’s streaming boards, just saw this tread. Nice project Ian!

I am wondering if it is possible to stream from Qobuz/Tidal/ Spotify using this product, do you have any experience?

Btw, Looks like they have the new versions eRED Mod and Dock with a different processor, higher RAM and improved clocks for phase response

I havent looked at the Engineered SA site for a few months. Im very happy with the 2 units I built and have no urge to upgrade.( but will have a look!)
I use both my units via JRiver which is set to look for the renderer as a DNLA device. It works fine. I tell J River what their IP address is via J Remote on my i pod and off it goes.
I have no experience using Qobuz/Tidal /Spotify at all, so Im not being very helpful.
Hopefully someone will come up with an answer or contact Engineered SA they were very helpful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.