Can This Be Done?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy, folks.

I have an unusual situation, and wondering if any of you guys can steer me in the right direction.

My car has a built-in 'combo' gps/phone/media center that supports a bunch of file formats... except the one I need... FLAC.

There are a couple input options, one is Bluetooth, which is how it streams content from my phone to the system. Another option is a USB port in the console that allows the system to look for, and access, files on a drive. However, as mentioned, it won't 'see' FLAC files, only .mp3 and .wav formats.

What I'd like to accomplish is:

• Use a Pi to 'serve' files to the car so that I don't have to re-encode my entire library for just this purpose. I would imagine the Pi would need to appear to the system as a regular USB drive, or provide a similar functionality via Bluetooth.
  • Synchronize the Pi library wirelessly with my home NAS once per day (say, overnight) so that as I add new albums to my collection, they are also mirrored on the car system.
Any suggestions on how to do such a thing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I don't see how the Pi helps with the flac problem. Unless you convert the files when you transfer them over to the Pi, the car will still be provided with flacs.
One way the pi could help is if you write a file system (maybe fuse would make it doable) that would expose mp3 named files and transcode on the fly during file access.
I would suggest getting a cheap older phone that can handle large memory cards and hook that up via Bluetooth. Then you can use an app (like foldersync) to sync with a network share when in range of your home wifi.

I was wondering about the transcode issue. Yes, that makes sense - showing the files is only half of the battle here. If the head unit in the car doesn't understand the file format, then it's not going to help. I wonder if the Pi has enough horsepower to transcode on the fly with something like Kodi - would that be a solution?

If your car supports wav then you won't need much power to transcode flac to wav, it should take about as much resources as playing a flac. I don't think kodi itself has anything you can use, most software uses ffmpeg or avconv to do it. One potential problem with transcoding on the fly is skipping back/forward within a song can be slow and buggy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.