Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

ES9028Q2M driver for Raspbian based distro
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2018, 02:11 AM   #21
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Please comment out 'dtoverlay=lirc-rpi' and try again.
No audio output, no lock light on dac, lcd 20x4 display shows "paused" but web page shows playing and router shows activity if using webradio.

Quote:
May I ask what board are you using?
Pi3 and ebay 9038Q2m ver1.4

Quote:
It is probably helpful to find out the function of GPIO27
Using as activity pin for I/R sensor.

After several reboots I have output... the UI Audio page still shows rpi-dac as does the 'System-info' drop-down.

However, whilst Webstreams play ok the Koz test track is now garbage noise and there are huge thumps switching between these which has not been present using the rpi-dac generic driver in the past.....
so maybe something is happening and not being reflected in the UI ??
Old 7th March 2018, 02:23 AM   #22
gandolf is offline gandolf  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE7 View Post
No audio output, no lock light on dac, lcd 20x4 display shows "paused" but web page shows playing and router shows activity if using webradio.

After several reboots I have output... the UI Audio page still shows rpi-dac as does the 'System-info' drop-down.

However, whilst Webstreams play ok the Koz test track is now garbage noise and there are huge thumps switching between these which has not been present using the rpi-dac generic driver in the past.....
It seems like the DAC is not properly configured. The driver is developed assuming the DAC is fully controlled by I2C and the address should be 0x48 (ADDR of the chip == L). If yours is different I might need to recompile it for your case. We need to run some tests.

1. install I2C-tools by 'apt-get install i2c-tools'
2. 'modprobe i2c_dev'
3. 'i2cdetect -y 1'

You should see the i2c bus detection results and a 'UU' should locate at address 0x48.

If you do see it, then do
'i2cget -f 1 0x48 0x07'

This commend read I2C device at 0x48, register 0x07. Please post the result.
Old 7th March 2018, 02:27 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Ha, I see the reason. Your DAC is 9038Q2M, it has different internal register definition as 9028Q2M. The driver writes wrong values to the wrong register, causing the DAC's failure. To fully solve your problem, I need the datasheet of ES9038Q2M. If anyone can send me one copy I can make a driver for it. By the way I have already signed the NDA with ESS.
Old 7th March 2018, 02:37 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Yes 9038....thought it was worth a try.... happy to be a tester..

screenshot of i2cdetect attached. Seems at 0x48 so shall I try 'i2cget -f 1 0x48 0x07'

Dac seems to play but only 24 bit files.... resampling works but still horrendous switching thumps between tracks...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2018-03-07 16-34-05.png (12.0 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by DRONE7; 7th March 2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 7th March 2018, 02:43 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes 9038....thought it was worth a try.... happy to be a tester..

screenshot of i2cdetect attached.

Dac seems to play but only 24 bit files.... resampling works but still horrendous switching thumps between tracks...
Yeap, the behavior is expected. A register needs to be set according to the input bit depth, and its default value is for 24/32-bit file, that's why you can still play it. You can try to resample everything to 32 bit then all the files should be able to play. As for the switch pop, it is because the DAC is not properly muted when the switching is happening.
Old 7th March 2018, 02:57 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Resampling set to 32* in sox......

If it were not for the thumps and cracks ...... any help if I/should I get the info 'i2cget -f 1 0x48 0x07' ?

Look forward to future developments.....

Would thoroughly recommend it to those with 9028 devices... well done.
Old 7th March 2018, 03:01 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Resampling set to 32* in sox......

If it were not for the thumps and cracks ...... any help if I/should I get the info 'i2cget -f 1 0x48 0x07' ?

Look forward to future developments.....

Would thoroughly recommend it to those with 9028 devices... well done.
Thanks.
Old 7th March 2018, 10:53 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Had the opportunity for some more listening and it is going to be very hard to return to the generic driver...

Your driver brings a great improvement in SQ.

Just thinking about this 9038Q2m board... it has an onboard mcu that currently allows volume and some filter adjustments so even if the registers are found and your code modified I wonder if the mcu would negate those functions....?
Old 8th March 2018, 02:29 AM   #29
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Did you try install it in latest Volumio?

Download |Get Started | Volumio

Thanks,
Ian
Old 8th March 2018, 02:44 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Had the opportunity for some more listening and it is going to be very hard to return to the generic driver...

Your driver brings a great improvement in SQ.

Just thinking about this 9038Q2m board... it has an onboard mcu that currently allows volume and some filter adjustments so even if the registers are found and your code modified I wonder if the mcu would negate those functions....?
I am glad you are enjoying it.

For the DAC with MCU, no the MCU won't negate the functions. These boards with MCU basically have an open source driver that MPD can talk to, then MCU translates the MPD command to the ESS DAC command. In this way, they can open source their driver while hiding the ESS related information. When you unload their driver, MPD never has the chance to talk to the MCU so MCU won't do anything. When you load my driver, MPD will talk directly to ESS DAC if the DAC is connected to the I2C bus. If the board manufacturer uses their own I2C bus between the MCU and ESS DAC then we have no chance to get around the MCU.

ES9028Q2M driver for Raspbian based distroHide this!Advertise here!