Raspberry Pi Audio Beginner Help Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I am researching my options for a Rasp Pi based audio hardware, and I have read many of the threads in this forum. Much of it is beyond my level of understanding, but I am learning.

What I have:
Raspberry Pi 3 v B
Harmon Kardon HK 3370 Receiver
Magnepan .7 speakers
DIY Sub​

Other stuff:
Overnight Sensations (most recent build)
Voxel Sub
Misc DIY speakers in various states of build/mod
Several cheap board amps in various states of build/mod​

What I want:
Good to great sound quality, amazing not necessary at this point
Playing audio from USB connected hard drive
Streaming via Airplay, Spotify, and/or Tidal
Relatively low cost, <$100, less is better
Room for upgrades and expansion
"Hat" configuration on Pi seems handy
Want to experiment with various software packages Moode, Rune, Volumio​

Do I just start with a HiFiBerry (or maybe a cheap clone)?
Any good threads, blog posts, websites to learn the basics?
Other suggestions for the beginner?

Last edited:
I like my HiFiBerry but I don't hear much of a difference over the generic USB sound device I had been using previously. I only went with the HiFiBerry for the pedigree, to remove any doubt I had in that USB gadget.

I use Logitech Media Server, that is where I started years ago with the original SLIMP3 player.

I recently (within last year or so) tried the other players but found them to be slow in the response department (like changing volume). It seemed they all forked form the same code and all of them actually adjusted volume the same way, and that was by manipulating the actual stream rather than just telling the default sound device's mixer where to set the output level.

And none of them at the time had an interface as nice as iPeng on the iPad I use for controlling my playback.

Recently, the Logitech Media Server has switched to Spotty for Spotify playback and it has gotten very solid, so I'm using that for my streaming service. Very happy with it.

My suggestion.

You have lots of stuff you can re-purpose, to minimize additional costs. Keep your working system (HK-3370, Magnepan, Sub, Sensations) intact and far away from your educational system. You'll need something to listen to while your educational system is in various states of repair.

1) Try loading one of the many headless players on your RPI, and use a pair of headphones to get it working. Hopefully its an RPI3B model. The RPI headphone jack is low quality, but sufficient for starting. My preference was Volumio2 as it was easy to install and use. There are lots of players to try if you want.
2) Try to setup remote access to the RPI so you can work via a PC and a network connection. This requires some PC tools and basic Linux knowledge.
3) Try to get one your experimental amps and experimental speakers working. Eventually you could connect the RPI heaphone output to one of your experimental amps and speakers. Hopefully the speakers are full range or at least have an XO.
4) If the above goes well, you could buy a DAC hat or USB DAC for your RPI to improve your sound quality and get proper line outputs. If you're confident you can connect these proper line-outs to your HK-3370 and start using the working system. The RPI becomes just another HK-3370 input option.
5) Then try some DSP on the RPI to equalize and improve your sound quality via speaker EQ and room EQ. It would help to have a measurement mic at this point.

Great suggestions so far. I greatly appreciate your expertise!

I do generally keep my "daily listener" system separate from my experimental systems. Most of my experimenting is done with the OS+Voxel speakers plus various cheap board amps. I have basic working knowledge of the RPI as I have used several on other, non-audio, projects. I mainly use VNC from my laptop so no extra monitor.

I will try some of the software suggested here with the headphone jack. That should get me started.

Any suggestions for specific DAC hats? I know this is starting down the rabbit hole, but I am gonna start down that hole sooner or later. I just need a starting point that isn't too expensive.

I use Volumio2 with an Allo Piano2.1 . It costs about $50 and it works out of the box. It sounds good and gives you easy to configure outputs and subwoofer options. Volumio (like all of them) support NAS and webradio and many other features.

Attachments

• volumio piano config.jpg
    volumio piano config.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
I use Volumio2 with an Allo Piano2.1 . It costs about $50 and it works out of the box. It sounds good and gives you easy to configure outputs and subwoofer options. Volumio (like all of them) support NAS and webradio and many other features.

@DonVK -- After your advice and reading this thread, Current fave cheap DAC HAT for Raspberry Pi?, plus other related reading, I think it is going to be the Piano 2.1. It is not expensive, looks quality, and leaves lots of room for upgrades -- power supply, kali, etc. It will allow me to experiment and try all the software variations.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

@DonVK -- After your advice and reading this thread, Current fave cheap DAC HAT for Raspberry Pi?, plus other related reading, I think it is going to be the Piano 2.1. It is not expensive, looks quality, and leaves lots of room for upgrades -- power supply, kali, etc. It will allow me to experiment and try all the software variations.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

So I received my Piano 2.1 and have it successfully running on my RBP. Thanks for all the advice and help! I am checking out the various software packages. Current have Volumio running.

I recently completed a Voxel + Overnight sensation build. I am looking for inexpensive, but reasonable quality, amps to run the three. I still want to keep this test system separate from my main everyday listening system for now. I was thinking of getting three of these, Yuan-Jing TDA7293 Dual Mono Amplifier Board Set 2 x 85W from PE. I want to learn to hear subtle differences in the setup. I don’t need really high volumes with my normal testing/listening habits.

Another option would be a Lepai 2020 for the OS’s and something else for the Voxel.

Any thoughts?

That was fast :)

What about class-D amps so you only need a single supply rail.? I have used the Sure modules OmniDirectional - work in progress and they are electrically quiet and sound good. The "actual" power levels you get will depend on the supply voltage and speaker impedance (like all amps). This route is more work as you need to "kit" your own amp.

They have a number of fanless modules that would run off a 12VDC brick and you'd realistically get [(12VDC-2VDC)*0.7]^2 / 8ohm= 6watts or increase the brick to [(20VDC-2VDC)*0.7]^2 / 8ohm = 20watts.

That would be more than enough power, and saves you having to buy another supply. I have the Sure volume controls on mine, that I never use, and they're really just attenuators with memory. I have them always turned to max, and I use the H/W volume control on the Piano2.1. The only reason for the separate amp board for the subwoofer is I have a 4ohm sub driver and wanted an amp that would drive down to 2ohm. The case fan runs on low and is very quiet and provides enough airflow to keep the amp fan from coming on.

Last edited:
I want to take advantage of the SW out on my Piano 2.1 to drive the Voxel and get a clean L/R signals to the Overnight Sensations. I was thinking of putting together something like @DonVK did in OmniDirectional - work in progress and maybe use this Sure AB35281 3x200 Class D. I have the Meanwell 24 V 6.5A already. I imagine it would all someday go together in a chassis (either purchased or DIY plywood with venting).
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 9.21.39 AM.png

With this setup I would just stick with the volume controls via the UI from input (RBPi with MoOde -> Piano 2.1), but if others think hardware volume would be helpful, I would consider separate amps (the vol control won't work with the above amp) for OS's and Voxel with added Sure volume control kits.

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 9.14.01 AM.png

I guess I might dip my toes into more of DIY amp project as I learn more, but this seems like a decent start to this test rig.

Anyone have suggestions or concerns about this setup?

I want to take advantage of the SW out on my Piano 2.1 to drive the Voxel and get a clean L/R signals to the Overnight Sensations. I was thinking of putting together something like @DonVK did in OmniDirectional - work in progress and maybe use this Sure AB35281 3x200 Class D. I have the Meanwell 24 V 6.5A already. I imagine it would all someday go together in a chassis (either purchased or DIY plywood with venting).
View attachment 667577

With this setup I would just stick with the volume controls via the UI from input (RBPi with MoOde -> Piano 2.1), but if others think hardware volume would be helpful, I would consider separate amps (the vol control won't work with the above amp) for OS's and Voxel with added Sure volume control kits.

View attachment 667576

I guess I might dip my toes into more of DIY amp project as I learn more, but this seems like a decent start to this test rig.

Anyone have suggestions or concerns about this setup?

Please do your ears a big favour and get a stereo amp. It's like drinking good whiskey that won't give you a hangover compared to an AVR.

Rpi, Allo DAC HAT

So after reading a Joe's list post recently, I got interested in doing something with the Rpi. The poster on the Joe's recommended the Allo DAC HAT, and Moode Audio.

I've been reading a bit about the Rpi, and the Allo DAC, and the various software players.

My desire is to build a very compact system for a bedroom, leaving all the components downstream of the Rpi out of the discussion won't totally work, suffice to say probably a class D amp I already have, and shooting for control with my Android phone.

That said, can I add a single USB hard drive, and an external USB optical disc to the mix?

I've read something that lead me to believe I would need another intermediary board for the USB inputs to get reasonably High Fidelity in playback, I'd like to keep this system simple as possible, partly because my Luddite spouse won't use it otherwise, and this is for our bedroom...

I guess the question is, can I combine an Rpi, an Allo DAC, Moode audio, and simply add the USB inputs? I've no experience with the Rpi, yet, but would like to move forward.

Any direction to source material would be appreciated. I did some Google searches and haven't been able to fully answer the questions in my mind re: the addition of other USB sources. Most of the things I got from my searches were more for the setting up of an Rpi NAS... If that is what I need to do, it's simple enough (I think?). I have no problems with building up an Rpi NAS and an Rpi DAC..... if that is what I need.

Thanks for the reply jonners,

I rearranged my search parameters and was able to find several threads on Rpi forums where folks have added optical drives to the pi.

Seems I will have to dust off my 40 year old coding skills.

From what I've been able to find today I should be able to do what I desire.

Why specifically a no on the moode package, and is there one you would recommend alternatively? I have seen where Volumio is another popular package too. No experience with either, yet....

Some more reading reveals that the addition of a USB hard drive is not a problem. Thus remains the question, "Can one add an Optical Drive?".....

If by "optical drive" you mean a cd player, there is a plugin for Logitech Media Server

Announce: CDplayer plugin

I use LMS a lot but have never tried the plugin so can't verify it's efficacy but have a skim through the thread if you wish (there is mention of a raspberry pi towards the end).

Ronnie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.