Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Raspberry Pi Audio Beginner Help Needed
Raspberry Pi Audio Beginner Help Needed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2018, 06:59 PM   #11
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

That would be more than enough power, and saves you having to buy another supply. I have the Sure volume controls on mine, that I never use, and they're really just attenuators with memory. I have them always turned to max, and I use the H/W volume control on the Piano2.1. The only reason for the separate amp board for the subwoofer is I have a 4ohm sub driver and wanted an amp that would drive down to 2ohm. The case fan runs on low and is very quiet and provides enough airflow to keep the amp fan from coming on.

Last edited by DonVK; 1st March 2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10th March 2018, 03:27 PM   #12
Gallen1119 is offline Gallen1119  United States
diyAudio Member

I want to take advantage of the SW out on my Piano 2.1 to drive the Voxel and get a clean L/R signals to the Overnight Sensations. I was thinking of putting together something like @DonVK did in OmniDirectional - work in progress and maybe use this Sure AB35281 3x200 Class D. I have the Meanwell 24 V 6.5A already. I imagine it would all someday go together in a chassis (either purchased or DIY plywood with venting).
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 9.21.39 AM.png

With this setup I would just stick with the volume controls via the UI from input (RBPi with MoOde -> Piano 2.1), but if others think hardware volume would be helpful, I would consider separate amps (the vol control won't work with the above amp) for OS's and Voxel with added Sure volume control kits.

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 9.14.01 AM.png

I guess I might dip my toes into more of DIY amp project as I learn more, but this seems like a decent start to this test rig.

Anyone have suggestions or concerns about this setup?
Old 27th March 2018, 11:14 AM   #13
freeplay is offline freeplay
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallen1119 View Post
I want to take advantage of the SW out on my Piano 2.1 to drive the Voxel and get a clean L/R signals to the Overnight Sensations. I was thinking of putting together something like @DonVK did in OmniDirectional - work in progress and maybe use this Sure AB35281 3x200 Class D. I have the Meanwell 24 V 6.5A already. I imagine it would all someday go together in a chassis (either purchased or DIY plywood with venting).
Attachment 667577

With this setup I would just stick with the volume controls via the UI from input (RBPi with MoOde -> Piano 2.1), but if others think hardware volume would be helpful, I would consider separate amps (the vol control won't work with the above amp) for OS's and Voxel with added Sure volume control kits.

Attachment 667576

I guess I might dip my toes into more of DIY amp project as I learn more, but this seems like a decent start to this test rig.

Anyone have suggestions or concerns about this setup?
Please do your ears a big favour and get a stereo amp. It's like drinking good whiskey that won't give you a hangover compared to an AVR.
Old 14th April 2018, 11:19 AM   #14
mightym is offline mightym  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Rpi, Allo DAC HAT

So after reading a Joe's list post recently, I got interested in doing something with the Rpi. The poster on the Joe's recommended the Allo DAC HAT, and Moode Audio.

I've been reading a bit about the Rpi, and the Allo DAC, and the various software players.

My desire is to build a very compact system for a bedroom, leaving all the components downstream of the Rpi out of the discussion won't totally work, suffice to say probably a class D amp I already have, and shooting for control with my Android phone.

That said, can I add a single USB hard drive, and an external USB optical disc to the mix?

I've read something that lead me to believe I would need another intermediary board for the USB inputs to get reasonably High Fidelity in playback, I'd like to keep this system simple as possible, partly because my Luddite spouse won't use it otherwise, and this is for our bedroom...

I guess the question is, can I combine an Rpi, an Allo DAC, Moode audio, and simply add the USB inputs? I've no experience with the Rpi, yet, but would like to move forward.

Any direction to source material would be appreciated. I did some Google searches and haven't been able to fully answer the questions in my mind re: the addition of other USB sources. Most of the things I got from my searches were more for the setting up of an Rpi NAS... If that is what I need to do, it's simple enough (I think?). I have no problems with building up an Rpi NAS and an Rpi DAC..... if that is what I need.
Old 14th April 2018, 05:19 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Some more reading reveals that the addition of a USB hard drive is not a problem. Thus remains the question, "Can one add an Optical Drive?".....
Old 14th April 2018, 05:23 PM   #16
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightym View Post
Some more reading reveals that the addition of a USB hard drive is not a problem. Thus remains the question, "Can one add an Optical Drive?".....
The short answer is "No". If you are specifically interested in Moode there is now a dedicated forum: Moode Forum
Old 14th April 2018, 05:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply jonners,

I rearranged my search parameters and was able to find several threads on Rpi forums where folks have added optical drives to the pi.

Seems I will have to dust off my 40 year old coding skills.

From what I've been able to find today I should be able to do what I desire.

Why specifically a no on the moode package, and is there one you would recommend alternatively? I have seen where Volumio is another popular package too. No experience with either, yet....
Old 14th April 2018, 05:50 PM   #18
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply jonners,

I rearranged my search parameters and was able to find several threads on Rpi forums where folks have added optical drives to the pi.

Why specifically a no on the moode package, and is there one you would recommend alternatively?
Well maybe it can be done if your coding is up to it. Best to ask on the Moode Forum.
Old 14th April 2018, 09:14 PM   #19
Man in a van is offline Man in a van  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If by "optical drive" you mean a cd player, there is a plugin for Logitech Media Server

Announce: CDplayer plugin

I use LMS a lot but have never tried the plugin so can't verify it's efficacy but have a skim through the thread if you wish (there is mention of a raspberry pi towards the end).

Ronnie

Raspberry Pi Audio Beginner Help NeededHide this!Advertise here!