Any way to record the audio stream to the soundcard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I have a dell vostro1320/2.2ghz/2gb ram and want to record the digital audio stream on my motherboard. It is running puppy linux although anything linux could help. It has an intel hda 92HD81B1c5 soundcard.
I have tried audacity but whatever I do it records from the loudspeaker (as a mic) as well so seems to be recording the analogue output from the card.
Has anyone managed to record digital without converting analogue back to digital.
Thanks
thyristor44

That would depend on exactly what you mean by "the digital audio stream". Can you explain this in a little more detail? Note that until audio leaves the computer through a DAC, it's all essentially "digital audio". What is the source of the audio (e.g. file, streaming, etc.)?

Anyway, sure, there is very likely a way to do it.

I doubt that your system is actually recording from the speakers as a mic. The "mic level" of a speaker connected to any output hardware would be so low as to be totally gone. More likely, you are recording from your mic input mixed with the sound. Try setting the mic to zero, or disabling that... I am doing something very similar, on Windows, and have simply minimized the mic in the recording mixer.

I doubt that your system is actually recording from the speakers as a mic. The "mic level" of a speaker connected to any output hardware would be so low as to be totally gone. More likely, you are recording from your mic input mixed with the sound. Try setting the mic to zero, or disabling that... I am doing something very similar, on Windows, and have simply minimized the mic in the recording mixer.
I have disabled the mic in alsamixer but it could still be working.

That would depend on exactly what you mean by "the digital audio stream". Can you explain this in a little more detail? Note that until audio leaves the computer through a DAC, it's all essentially "digital audio". What is the source of the audio (e.g. file, streaming, etc.)?

Anyway, sure, there is very likely a way to do it.
The source is bbc iplayer and I would like to record it before the laptops dac or the input to the dac.

You can either record from pulseaudio (e.g. scripts - Record a program's output with PulseAudio - Ask Ubuntu ), or from alsa using the snd-aloop virtual sound device and modified .asoundrc , as already described in some of the links posted here.

AFAIK recent firefox >= v.52 can output to pulseaudio only. Chrome should accept command-line parameter "--alsa-output-device='plug:spdif'".

Recording can be attained by many tools, both GUI and CLI.

Audacity can record what's being played out to my various 'soundcards'. But then I'm running Windows 7. There is Audacity for Linux though so it'll be worth a look. I'm sure my Audacity isn't recording via a mic as I don't have one connected (nor any speakers for that matter).

Linux | Audacity(R)
Audacity for linux did work but its settings have me beaten at the moment.

I use Audio Recorder with Ubuntu. It is simple to use. It records what is streaming through your computer. I detect no loss in quality compared to playing the stream directly, so I am pretty sure that it records the digital material streaming through from whatever your source is.

It automatically places the recorded material in a folder called Audio. You can them play it through VLC, Rhythmbox, Deadbeef, or any other player.

Google Linux Audio recorder. You will get instructions as to how to install it. It should work on any Debian Linux system.

First question - how do you play your music? What player? If browser-based, which browser?
I am using palemoon browser at the moment as I prefer to keep things light but at a push I also have slimjet which is based on chrome. I could also install seamonkey or firefox or at a push chrome but the first two are pretty lumberous, if that is a word.
If I can get a recording of anything, I play it on a daphile music server, failing that from the laptop it would be vlc

Last edited:
I use Audio Recorder with Ubuntu. It is simple to use. It records what is streaming through your computer. I detect no loss in quality compared to playing the stream directly, so I am pretty sure that it records the digital material streaming through from whatever your source is.

It automatically places the recorded material in a folder called Audio. You can them play it through VLC, Rhythmbox, Deadbeef, or any other player.

Google Linux Audio recorder. You will get instructions as to how to install it. It should work on any Debian Linux system.
I have installed ubuntu 16.04 on a hdd, how to I find and install audio recorder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.