Which Small Laptop for Streaming?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I'm needing a small laptop, and during these sales I'm wondering which one to get?

Not being so computer savvy I thought I'd post here for advice.

Criteria= I'd like a small laptop- It's only going to be used for streaming internet radio, Jango, Youtube playlists etc. It has to have wifi and USB output to connect to my JBS Labs ODAC RevB and that's it. Oh and be cheap lol. It will sit atop my stereo stand and won't be used for anything else but streaming music as mentioned. No movie or music downloads, pics, gaming or anything like that etc.

Is there anything here that looks good?

Laptops on Sale: Shop DEALS on the best laptops

Do you really want to hassle with Windows for this purpose? This is $180 on sale.
CB311-7H-C5ED | Laptops - Tech Specs & Reviews - Acer

Thanks but with this I'd need to add a screen, keyboard. mouse etc. This would add a lot of extra dollars and clutter compared to a small laptop sitting atop my stereo stand etc.

Do you really want to hassle with Windows for this purpose? This is $180 on sale.
CB311-7H-C5ED | Laptops - Tech Specs & Reviews - Acer

As was mentioned my DAC is probably not compatible with this, dunno? I don't think Windows should be a problem as all I will be using this for is streaming music.

Last edited:
I'm thinking between these three.

One has a larger screen size which I don't really need, but it could be a good backup for my present laptop if anything goes wrong with it etc as it's the same size screen. I was hoping to find something for under $200, but it looks like most of those are Chromebook related.

HP ProBook 6360b Laptop, 13.3" Scr, Intel Core i3, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Windows 10 Home, 1 Year Warranty - Refurbished : Laptops - Best Buy Canada

Dell Latitude E6220 Laptop, 12.5" Display, Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Windows 10 Home- Refurbished : Laptops - Best Buy Canada

HP ProBook 6540b Laptop, 15.6" Display, Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Win 10 Home, 1 Year Warranty -Refurbished : Laptops - Best Buy Canada

I'm using old Thinkpad X61 starting 2012, i bought it second hand market which has huge supply from professional office. i connect it thru my 48" using vga to hdmi converter. It is only used as download system which run 24/7, considering low wattage then it is good for me.

I suggest you search for Thinkpad X230 with i5 procie, here i can find it with the same price i paid for X61 around $200. Most of them are refurbished but you can choose any good condition. It will have more power than any Rpi and you get all in one package.

I don't think Windows should be a problem as all I will be using this for is streaming music.

Windows is always a problem. It`s a powerful trojan disguised to appear as a operating system.
If you got no problem with Microsoft owning your machine and tracking your every move, then ok.

If you decide to go down the Linux route avoid systemd.
(Devuan, Slackware, ...)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have Windows, Mac and Linux laptops. All work just fine. Windows is easy for drivers and software, the Mac best for WiFi and Bluetooth (tho not by much) and Linux is usually OK, if the driver work.

Any of the small Dell or HP will do. A clean install of Window is always a good start.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.