Controlling PC / Music server with phone/tablet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Windows 10 machine running HQPlayer. HQPlayer transcodes PCM to DSD, which is then sent by ethernet to an NAA, which in turn passes the signal by USB to my LampizatOr Euforia (DSD only player). I am delighted with the sonic results.

I had the chance to use Fidelizer's Nimitra Music Server and liked that very much. I particularly enjoyed being able to select music files on my Windows 10 machine using my iPhone or iPad (Android tablet would be fine, too). Is something like the Nimitra necessary to access music files my Windows 10 machine with a tablet/phone? Or is it possible to add hardware (a card?) and/or software to my Windows 10 machine so that I can access files by tablet/phone/etc? For clarity, I intend to continue to use HQPlayer and my LampizatOr DAC (DSD only, hence HQPlayer to transcode PCM to DSD)

If this should be posted elsewhere, please advise and I'll move on over to that sub-forum.

In advance, thanks,

Larry

Some net search:
Best Remote Desktop Apps for iPad:
• TeamViewer
• Microsoft Remote Desktop (iOS 8.0)
• GoToMyPC (iOs 7.0)
• Pocket Cloud
• FileBrowser

Best Remote Desktop Apps for Android:
• Microsoft Remote Desktop
• Chrome Remote Desktop
• TeamViewer
• Splashtop 2 Remote Desktop
• Remote Link
• 2X Client RDP
• Ericom AccessToGo RDP
• Unified Remote

Signalyst produces HQPlayer. Signalyst points to Roon, Muso and Alchemy Desktop. While I could do Roon, that's a $500 option (1 year for $119 subjectively seems like a bigger waste than a lifetime option) and buys way more than I really want. I tried Muso, but was unable to get it to work and Muso's assistance was pretty limited.

I will be trying Alchemy Desktop with TeamViewer.

Larry

For ~$100 you could use a Raspberry Pi-based streamer unit, complete with DSD64 support - such as Moode or Volumio - attached directly to your DAC and save the PC for more productive tasks.

They are both web-based and you control them from anything with a web browser.

If you shop wisely, you could do it for less than $50, but $100 gets you a nice package to sit on the shelf.

Zootalaws

Thanks for your suggestion of the Raspberry Pi. I am looking for something more plug and play. I have less time for audio tinkering than I did. I seem to have matured into an increasingly ignorant computer user these days and don't relish ongoing proof of that. Money is less than tight and less than abundant, but Roon seems like a decent solution, albeit an expensive one. I was hoping for a solution like that. In advance, thanks again for your suggestion.

I picked up a cubox and loaded it with Volumio. I can use wifi but currently use ethernet. Music is stored in Flac on USB stick. Controlled with app or through browser on tablet, laptop or phone.
USB stick to cubox to DAC to Folsom amp to X-LS speakers. Nice simple inexpensive system that sounds great ( IMHO ).
I understand the hesitation to mess with computers. Find a local kid that likes this sort of thing, pay them $50 and you can learn as someone else does the computer end and you can introduce a young person that earbuds are not the only way to listen to music and that there are good alternatives to MP3.

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.