Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Android and Zeroconf/Bonjour
Android and Zeroconf/Bonjour
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Success?
Downloaded and found devices. 3 75.00%
Downloaded and didn’t find any devices 0 0%
Downloaded but couldn’t run 0 0%
Couldn’t download to my device 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th October 2017, 02:21 AM   #1
Zootalaws is offline Zootalaws  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Android and Zeroconf/Bonjour

One of the stumbling blocks for Android users of pc-based network streamers, DACs, etc. is finding the device on the network.

Users of Windows, MacOS, iOS, Linux can use the services of Zeroconf, Bonjour, etc. to find a device using a name, such as player.local, hifi.station, etc., but that sort of name resolution isn’t natively available on most Android iterations.

Melloware has a great app for browsing zeroconf and similarly-equipped d vices and it would be good to know ho many of you can find your network-attached devices.

If you’re a user of Rune, Moode, Volumio, Kodi, Openelec, Archpile, or other similar networked streamer, and you fancy taking the time to test and contributing your findings, I would be interested to see how effective this app is in resolving the ongoing dilemma Android users face in our mDNS world

Melloware indicates support for Android versions from 2.0 on up, so most mobiles, tablets, dongles and set-top boxes should work.

ZeroConf Browser - Android Apps on Google Play

If you care to tell me, the version of Android and the device you downloaded to, successful or not?

Thanks.

Last edited by Zootalaws; 24th October 2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 24th October 2017, 03:27 AM   #2
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Works great, found things I didn't know were open. Apparently Qnap is all about sharing.
Old 24th October 2017, 05:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

And sorry, I forgot to ask, could you tell me the version of Android you are using and if you care to share, the Android device(s)?
Old 24th October 2017, 11:49 AM   #4
Serverbaboon is offline Serverbaboon  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootalaws View Post
Thanks.

And sorry, I forgot to ask, could you tell me the version of Android you are using and if you care to share, the Android device(s)?
Tried with Android 8 on my configured Moode player. Displayed details for udisk-ssh
Old 24th October 2017, 12:03 PM   #5
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Tried with Android 7 on Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017), found WD TV Media Player, not found Twonky Media Server on Zyxel NAS326 (should it?).
Old 24th October 2017, 12:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serverbaboon View Post
Tried with Android 8 on my configured Moode player. Displayed details for udisk-ssh
Did it display the name - Moode.local?

I’m looking for a way that Android users can easily find headless devices like Moode, etc.

For most other OS, it’s easy because they can all use some form of mDNS resolution, but Android forces the use of Google DNS which means it doesn’t look at your local router for name resolution,

We see so many support questions of “how do I find my device”. If Melloware’s app solves the problem for Android users, that’s an easy fix, easily documented.
Old 24th October 2017, 12:55 PM   #7
Serverbaboon is offline Serverbaboon  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

No it did not, will shove a new card in , if you don't tell Max, and see what it does with an out of the box install.
Old 24th October 2017, 02:38 PM   #8
onionhead is offline onionhead  United States
diyAudio Member

Default MotoG5 Plus

I am running android 7.0 on MotoG5. Downloaded zeroconf. I typed in moode.local/ in chrome browser did not work for me. See attached screenshots. I clear all the browser cache a few times but that did not change result.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20171024-062426.png (255.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_20171024-063401.png (90.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 24th October 2017, 11:36 PM   #9
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Zootalaws. Google Pixel running 8.0.0.
Old 25th October 2017, 08:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionhead View Post
I am running android 7.0 on MotoG5. Downloaded zeroconf. I typed in moode.local/ in chrome browser did not work for me. See attached screenshots. I clear all the browser cache a few times but that did not change result.
I doubt that chrome will ever resolve mDNS addresses. This was to see if you could find the IP address easily.

Is the Zeroconf browser able to pass you along to a web browser, by selecting from Zeroconf?

Android and Zeroconf/BonjourHide this!Advertise here!