Android and Zeroconf/Bonjour

Success?

• Downloaded and didn’t find any devices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Downloaded but couldn’t run

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of the stumbling blocks for Android users of pc-based network streamers, DACs, etc. is finding the device on the network.

Users of Windows, MacOS, iOS, Linux can use the services of Zeroconf, Bonjour, etc. to find a device using a name, such as player.local, hifi.station, etc., but that sort of name resolution isn’t natively available on most Android iterations.

Melloware has a great app for browsing zeroconf and similarly-equipped d vices and it would be good to know ho many of you can find your network-attached devices.

If you’re a user of Rune, Moode, Volumio, Kodi, Openelec, Archpile, or other similar networked streamer, and you fancy taking the time to test and contributing your findings, I would be interested to see how effective this app is in resolving the ongoing dilemma Android users face in our mDNS world :)

Melloware indicates support for Android versions from 2.0 on up, so most mobiles, tablets, dongles and set-top boxes should work.

ZeroConf Browser - Android Apps on Google Play

If you care to tell me, the version of Android and the device you downloaded to, successful or not?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Tried with Android 8 on my configured Moode player. Displayed details for udisk-ssh

Did it display the name - Moode.local?

I’m looking for a way that Android users can easily find headless devices like Moode, etc.

For most other OS, it’s easy because they can all use some form of mDNS resolution, but Android forces the use of Google DNS which means it doesn’t look at your local router for name resolution,

We see so many support questions of “how do I find my device”. If Melloware’s app solves the problem for Android users, that’s an easy fix, easily documented.

MotoG5 Plus

I am running android 7.0 on MotoG5. Downloaded zeroconf. I typed in moode.local/ in chrome browser did not work for me. See attached screenshots. I clear all the browser cache a few times but that did not change result.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171024-062426.png
    Screenshot_20171024-062426.png
    255.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot_20171024-063401.png
    Screenshot_20171024-063401.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 146
I am running android 7.0 on MotoG5. Downloaded zeroconf. I typed in moode.local/ in chrome browser did not work for me. See attached screenshots. I clear all the browser cache a few times but that did not change result.

I doubt that chrome will ever resolve mDNS addresses. This was to see if you could find the IP address easily.

Is the Zeroconf browser able to pass you along to a web browser, by selecting from Zeroconf?

Actually, you can resolve local addresses, but it requires hacking your router to block 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

It’s easy enough to do, but may have unintended consequences if you run a chrome cast or other set top box.

Hi Mike, there is an app that works as an interface to moode (and other players) from Android devices.
This has auto-discovery that works.
There is a free 10 day trial version.
I thought it was useful and bought it. No complaints, does as it says and the dev is most helpful and a Moode user ..:)

Pi Music - Android Apps on Google Play

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.