Which USB DAC will suite my needs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys!

Complete newbie so apologies beforehand for stupid questions!

My current setup are a NAD C326BEE driving Monitor Audio Bronze BX2's. Good combination as the NAD help the lacking lows of the Monitor Audio's and the Monitor Audio's help the lacking highs of the NAD. I know...a lot better speakers available, but considering the money I paid for them it was a no-brainer.

Now for the shocker...I only have and listen to CD's and currently use an old Philips CD player which don't even have remote control. One of Philips' low end budget players so nothing special. Can't even find pictures on web so think it was only available in South Africa.

I would like to ripp my CD's to my laptop/pc and then use a USB DAC. In future I'll then buy music online. For me the best regarding this will be not to get up and change CD's as some of them were only bought for one song on them! Also setting up a playlist will be nice.

I have, what I consider, very little experience regarding DIY Audio. I studied electronics and also had practical courses regarding amps which included, building, testing, measuring with oscilloscope by injecting signals via signal generator. Bear in mind that this was many many moons ago so I'm a little rusted. But, as I loved the practical side of it then, I would love this to be DIY project.

My questions are...

1. Which USB DAC will suite my needs? I would prefer RCA out though.

2. Are higher than 16/44.1 really that much better and worth considering? I know CD's are 16/44.1, but seeing I'll be buying music online in the future I'll need to take this into account...I think.

3. What format do you guys store your music on your pc's...and does this effect/influence the USB DAC you use? FLAC and so on.

I obviously have a lot more Q's, but I'll keep it to these three for now.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
SamCro:

Welcome! You might want to consider a USB DAC project that involves upgrading an existing product. You may still be able to locate the TDA1387-based DAC discussed in this thread: TDA1387 x8 DAC: let's check its design, mod it -or not-, play music -or not! :(-

If so (and presuming you can also get one of the requisite daughter cards), I strongly recommend you consider this as your project. The 9 or so mods described by Abraxalito in the thread vary in complexity; like you, I'm something of a novice (especially in the digital realm), but I found that the 5 most significant mods Abraxalito developed to be very easy to implement and surprisingly effective at improving the quality of this little Chinese DAC. Matt Garman consolidated and ordered Abraxalito's mods in order of significance (TDA1387 X8 NOS DAC), which was especially helpful. The cost of the parts for the 5 mods I completed was about $40 (US); the cost of the DAC and daughter board was about three times that. The resulting device is really quite nice -- I also have a Schiit Bifrost Uber and the latest Schiit Modi 2 on hand, and while the two Schiits are better the TDA-1387 DAC is in good company with both of them. This project would be well worth your time, if you can find the DAC and can afford everything.

Regards,
Scott

I have no idea why on earth you'd continue to use a 1995 era DAC some 22 years later, no matter how many you lay in parallel.

IMO, something like the ak4490 usb off Ebay has been shown to be pretty much faultless by 1audio here on this site, with a couple minor tweaks he recommends.

A cheap option is just a USB DAC that is USB powered.
I use one driving into a 12 inch full range speaker and its loud enough for my use. I paid just a few pounds for the USB DAC on ebay.

I have bought more expensive USB DAC's but couldn't tell the difference.

I use my own DJ software to play back tracks. I just click on the tracks I want, then sit back and listen without having to get up every few minutes.

Another possibility might be the Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth dac. That would allow you to remotely go through and select songs. While not the end all in sound quality, it would be very convenient and not bad sounding at all.

I use a modified AK4495, (USB) xmos dac that I assembled from parts(board, transformer, housing), and use playlists from a laptop. As provided, will sound about like the Arcam Bluetooth unit, but can be upgraded for better sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.