desperate for Dac help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just decided to buy a Dac so i could listen to something other than vinyl and i feel so let down and disappointed i am considering smashing my POS DAC with a hammer.

I thought i could just plug it in to my usb and it would work i us ubuntu for a operating system because i don't like anything that is a hassle the manufacturer said ubuntu dose not need a driver plug and play they say. Well i can not get it to work i have wasted two days of my life trying sad thing is i have a bad heart and i do not need the stress.

I can not return the Dac e-bay seller dose not except returns so i will give it away to anyone that can use the peice of **** and unfortunatly i will have to keep prinning records due to the fact installing a DAC is work and i am not suposed to do any work all i want to do is listen to music before i die seems i cannot do that.

Dose anyone know a way i can listen to a high quality digital source without killing myself with stress??? I don't want to have to learn how or learn to use foobar i just wan't to listen to music before i die from Heart failure i guess i was expecting something in this modern world to work guess i was wrong.

Nice thing about vinyl is it sounds really good and i can buy records in stores & online with no stress and they always work they don't need foobar or drivers or the right OS. But i am tired of dusty albums getting up and down to change songs and the fact i am listening to a lot of new music i can't buy on vinyl.

I understand this is a ****** up post but i don't care i don't have much time i just want music. How can i get digital music through a DAC???? without stress i am old i don't understand computers and i really wan't to throw mine away right now if i can't listen to music with it and a dac it is worthless please someone help if not oh well i have a free DAC if someone ask nice i will even pay for shipping

Things are very difficult when you don't have experience, don't know what you are doing, and don't have any good references on how to get the thing to work! Seems like you are facing one or two of the above challenges.

So, let's see if the OS (Ubuntu in your case) is recognizing the USB device when you plug it in. If so, the OS should be able to determine that it is an "audio" output device. One way that you can check for this is via the command prompt. Open a terminal window and type:
Code:
aplay -l
That's a lowercase "L" in the above command, not the numeral one.

This command lists all the audio devices that you can "play" to, and your DAC should be listed. I cannot say what it might be "called" or labeled with - the manufacturer determines that. It might be "DAC" or something to do with the model/MFG. It will probably be the last one in the list. IF you are not sure, remove the USB DAC and then run the command again. The entry for your DAC should disappear.

Let's start there. Post the results of what you find.

Joined 2011
I just decided to buy a Dac so i could listen to something other than vinyl and i feel
so let down and disappointed i am considering smashing my POS DAC with a hammer.

Try plugging headphones into your PC audio jack (usually a green color) and see if you get sound.
You may have to turn up the volume in the system software, maybe even in more than one place.
If there is sound in the headphones, then connect an adapter cable (stereo mini plug to stereo RCA)
from the green jack to your stereo's line input (any input but phono). That should work just fine.

I'll send you some headphones and adapter cables to try and keep, if you can't easily get some.
Then you won't need the DAC at all to get sound. Good luck, please post back here if this works or not.
Amazon.com: 3.5mm Stereo Audio Male to Dual RCA Male - 6 FT - 3.5mm Audio Cable to Rca: Electronics

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.