Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Current fave cheap DAC HAT for Raspberry Pi?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2017, 05:42 PM   #41
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm trying that now (listening through DAC outputs to O2 headphone amp and Sony MDR-7506 headphones). Switched from 32bit/384kHz, High Quality to 32bit/352.8kHz, High Quality. There's very little, if any difference. But...

I have a recording with a very loud cymbal crash at one point (Joe Henderson, "Miles Ahead" from "So Near, So Far'). I couldn't swear to it, but I think that cymbal crash sounds ever-so-slightly less hissy and more like a cymbal with the oversampling set at 352.8kHz rather than 384kHz. The difference is tiny, but I think I can hear it (more like feel it).

Then again, if you gave me a double-blind test and asked me to guess which was which, I bet I'd come out being right only half the time, at best.
--

Half an hour later, I think I can reliably notice a difference. I like 16/44.1k upsampled to 32/352.8k better than 32/384k. The difference is barely noticeable.
--

Last edited by rongon; 6th June 2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11th March 2018, 02:46 PM   #42
BillTheCat is offline BillTheCat
diyAudio Member

Wow. Lots of great discussion (and the usual 'volatility') here, though some of it is way above my pay grade.

Just asking - no 'love' for the HiFiBerry boards? I've been running a DAC+Pro XLR and have been very happy, but have nothing to compare it to.
Old 19th April 2018, 06:41 PM   #43
kstylianos is offline kstylianos  United States
diyAudio Member

Just curious, how would one use these as a DAC for CD transport without a coaxial or optical input? Is there a DAC hat with these inputs, or a coaxial/optical to usb adapter?
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:09 AM   #44
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstylianos View Post
Just curious, how would one use these as a DAC for CD transport without a coaxial or optical input? Is there a DAC hat with these inputs, or a coaxial/optical to usb adapter?
You would likely find yourself using a USB soundcard with a digital (SPDIF) input. The cheap(est) is based around CM6206LX and costs about $10. You would become quite familiar with the Linux "amixer, alsamixer" commands and possibly ".asoundrc and asound.conf".

Current fave cheap DAC HAT for Raspberry Pi?Hide this!Advertise here!