Pi based media/music station???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys...

I'm looking to build a music hifi pc...

I would like to know if I can do the following (I know some of it is fairly easy but it's just as much for me to remember what I was planning to do with it!)

*play music - flac & mp3 (obvs! Lol)
*download and play podcasts
*stream and record internet radio stations
*store all music files and host them for my home network
**possible movie store if I'm tempted to rip them
**possible emulation station

I'd like to be able to run it headless if possible... With the option of hooking it up to the TV to play emulators

I'm not sure which way to go with it...

I have a pi b sitting around doing nothing, and also a chip/pocket chip that I never used...

What options do I have for hardware / software? Should I be looking at a mini itx?

Thanks in advance!!

What model is your "B" Pi? E.g. 1,2,or 3. Big difference in the suitability for your needs.

For the Pi 2 and 3 (both are "B", which is all they seem to make these days) playing music files up to 192k and internet streams is no problem. You simply need to choose which player software will offer you all the input options you desire. If you have a large music collection you might want an NAS drive, and then you should look for a player that can pull music from that (it's not local and not all software will be able to access it).

I use Pis and stream audio TO them from another computer, and then use the Pi as a DSP crossover box for an active loudspeaker. I'm not up on using the Pi and a music center computer like your intended application, but I am sure that others will chime in about which software is most suitable.

Finally, you will DEFINITELY need to add a high quality audio output to the Pi. The onboard sound via the headphone jack out is crap. These do not need to be expensive ($50 or less), but it is a must.

Thanks for the response!!

I think it's a 2??? I've had it ages so it's definitely not the latest one...

Just noticed I missed the part where I was wanting to out it in an old amp enclosure with a mini lcd and some kind of remote app or actual remote and use the controls on the case too...

I suppose I can but a pi 3 if it would be more suitable...

For the Pi 2 and 3 (both are "B", which is all they seem to make these days) playing music files up to 192k and internet streams is no problem. .

That is an understatement, an RPI3b can play ultra high resolution flacs (386kHz, 10-12 Mbps) without problems , over WLAN using squeezelite. I know it because I have tested this personally (Moode player, IQAudIODAC).

I couldn't find any higher quality audio files, if anyone has a link to such test files please let me know, and I'll try them as well.

Volumio fits most of these needs, except for movies. Volumio will even allow you to run Spotify, which is pretty neat. As for the movies, I think you might have to go with something like Kodi, but I don't know if they do music, or if they do it might be fairly rudimentary and it wont support a DAC for high resolution audio. Probably because you will have to go through HDMI.

If it's a "B rev.2", stop and look at getting a newer Pi.

Well worth looking at the Pi3 and the http://www.allo.com offerings such as the Kali and Piano.

As for software.... MoOde, Runeaudio, Volumio will do most if not all of the audio duties. Though a Kodi distribution can also do most/all of the video stuff too. Andcan run headless - controlled through "Yatse" on an Android device.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.