JRiver as active DSP crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried to use JRiver as a DSP active crossover? It seems like if it works, it can be far more powerful than anything else out there with all the DSP algorithms it has, as well as VST plugin support, and a no brainer solution for PC based DSP.

I'm thinking of a 4 way crossover with delays, FIR, and compressors on certain channels.

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, I have used it and it works. I was using miniDSP before, but you are always limited in what you could do because you are locked into the hardware (the classic gaming console versus PC debate). Although, today's 2x4 miniDSP comes with full FIR capability, so, that option also exists. But JRiver really opens a whole world of options with virtually no limits. You do need a DAC with multiple outputs though. I did some work on that and you can read about it here, and of course there are some cheap/high performance 7.1 channel USB DACs available (ASUS Xonar, for example). Take a look at the JRiver forums for suggestions on multi-channel DACs.

Very interesting thought.

I'm currently using nanoDIGI 2x8, with 3 stereo S/PDIF DAC. It does work really great, the DACs are in an enclosure right next to a preamp board providing 6dB gain and differential/XLR out to poweramp.

I've been thinking of upgrading (not that I need to, but it gives me something to do). I had recently thought of building a noiseless, fanless PC with solid state drives. I had thought that it could do all of the DSP work, then I'd want a sound card with 6 Differential Analogue outputs. The thing I read is that there is more latency in using a PC for DSP. The advantage of miniDSP, Behringer or the like is low latency. I don't know,.. is that true?
Right now, my miniDSP/nanoDIGI is only s tiny bit behind my TV, enough that I can notice if I look for it, but close enough that it is unnoticabke if I try to ignore it during a movie. I rarely watch TV, usually always listen to 2 channel music, but I like the movie option.

So then I thought that the upgrade path would be to get better DAC. Now I'm finding that avoiding the whole Sony/Phillips Digital Interface, and working with the I2S is the way to go. I think that would mean I would need to get miniSHARC and 3 I2S DACs.

What if I just got a USB to I2S. Do they have one with 6 I2S output channels? I could be back to using PC for DSP if that's possible.

What do you think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.