Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

which dsp?
which dsp?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2017, 12:44 AM   #11
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I currently run a cheap active system using RPi3 and a CM6206LX USB soundcard.
I run Charlie Laub's ACDf LADSPA plugins to achieve crossover, gain matching and shelving. These are IIR filters. Linux dist is a slightly tweaked MoOde Audio Player V3.

Probably a better quality option would be : https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb...terface/u-dac8

J.
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:31 AM   #12
Loafmeat is offline Loafmeat  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvershadelynx View Post
Hi thanks for your message, it seems that apart from ease of use and the nice small form factor there are not really any big advantages for the MiniDSP 2x4HD compared to the (diy) pc solution.

To be honest, it doesn't help that the MiniDSP team is not planning to support Linux. It's interface is flash based and personally I don't really like that as I'm not sure if this is still supported after lets say 5 years. (although maybe I have a completely different setup at that time).

Right now I'm testing with an old pc of mine that is running Windows Vista + Equalizer APO + Peace Equalizer. I'm trying to get some old soundcards running. I will update my progress in this topic.
If you take an old PC you can try also the live DVD of KXStudio without installing it.

Regards
Guenter
Old 27th March 2017, 09:43 AM   #13
silvershadelynx is offline silvershadelynx  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

after many hours of playing with 1 onboard Realtek and 2 antique pci soundcards I finally managed to get a functioning software equalizer in Windows 7. (APO + Peace equalizer) I had to enable upmix left/right stereo to 7.1 in both the equalizer software and windows sound card settings. After that the line-in can be used as a 2 channel ouput.

I also tried ecasound on Linux:

Digital Crossover/EQ with Open-Source Software: HOWTO | Richard's Stuff

This was working as well. Maybe in future I will try to convert my Raspberry pi to an active software filter, if it has enough processing power for this task.

Another new question: I would like to do an in-room measurement using REW software of my full-range system. REW sends the output signal to the soundcard. Is it possible to send this frequency sweep from REW to the software equalizer instead so I can test the whole system (both electrostatic loudspeakres and woofers, equalized)?

Regards, J.

Last edited by silvershadelynx; 27th March 2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 28th March 2017, 10:54 AM   #14
torgeirs is offline torgeirs  Norway
diyAudio Member

If rew is used in java driver mode, not asio and APO is used it should work. At least it works on windows 10
ASUS xonar U7 and W10 APO DSP measurements

Last edited by torgeirs; 28th March 2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 5th November 2017, 11:20 AM   #15
silvershadelynx is offline silvershadelynx  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi, it has been a while since my last post in this topic, but after over one year of using the pc filter solution I want to buy a dedicated filter device like a Minidsp as they are more compact and more energy save. I also prefer my CD player as a medium. I'm aware of it's FIR filter limitations but I like the affordable priced 2x4 HD Minidsp.

The only question I have is about volume control: it has a IR remote control. I would like to connect my CD player digitally to the dsp device as I want to play CD's. That means I can't use the volume control of my integrated amplifier, it has a "separate pre / power amp switch" and the volume control is part of the pre amp. So I suppose the output of the dsp device is connected to the power amp and I solely rely on the volume control of the dsp. Would this be an issue? For instance, does the Minidsp device store the master volume after it is turned off? Is there any risk of playing at maximum sound level after turning on the amplifier and dsp device?
Old 20th November 2017, 08:48 PM   #16
markseel is offline markseel  United States
diyAudio Member

Take a look at this:

flexfx_kit/README.md at master * markseel/flexfx_kit * GitHub
Audio Effects DSP Board

which dsp?Hide this!Advertise here!