looking for crossover for FDA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI,

I'm using a FDA amp in the family set and find it very handy and nice sounding.
Well, I'm know asking myself ...should I try it on my OB's set-up :rolleyes:

Hence my question, does anybody here know a way to split signal and sending it to two FDA's (toslink or USB only)?

Mini DSP are only SPDIF...

Thanks

HI,

I'm using a FDA amp in the family set and find it very handy and nice sounding.
Well, I'm know asking myself ...should I try it on my OB's set-up :rolleyes:

Hence my question, does anybody here know a way to split signal and sending it to two FDA's (toslink or USB only)?

Mini DSP are only SPDIF...

Thanks

Take a closer look at the MiniDSP range. They do have models with Toslink and/or USB input capability as well as well as SPDIF.

If using a PC solution not some external DSP box the challenge may be getting enough digital channels out of the PC - simply splitting a stereo signal will still only leave two channels and I imagine you will need at least four. The easiest way is probably to either pick a PC with two USB ports **on the same USB controller** and connect via USB to each DDA. Alternatively if you prefer Toslink pick a PC/Pi/whatever with Toslink on the motherboard and fit an additional soundcard/hat with a second Toslink on it.

Hi
Thanks,
Input is not the challenge, outputs to FDA is the challenge.
I prefer to avoid a PC set-up (noise...)

Ok, so no PC even though you can get silent ones :)

Quick sanity check. I assumed you meant multiple FDAs for an active speaker setup. Do you mean that or do you just want one stereo signal to go to two FDAs, say in different rooms?

If you are preferring Toslink source and just want 2xstero FDA a simple optical splitter may be all you need.

If you do want 4 channels for active from those 2xFDA you could feed MiniDSP nanodigi with toslink and use two of the spdif/coax outputs to feed your FDAs. If your FDAs don't have a coax input you could either uses a better FDA :) or use a couple of coax/toslink adapters. Alternatively there are a few other minidsp products that can accept toslink input and provide raw i2s output on which you could DIY a toslink output.

Thanks again,
I meant ti use it for 4 channels active set-up.
My FDA is very fine ;-) I tried "better" ones and was disapointed (FX,I.AM,QLS..)
This one is tiny, only usb or toslink but sounds great vs the other(far more expansive BTW)
Using spdif/toslink converter is really a mess ;-)
So I guess only PC will do it...life is tricky ;-)

Thanks again,
I meant ti use it for 4 channels active set-up.
My FDA is very fine ;-) I tried "better" ones and was disapointed (FX,I.AM,QLS..)
This one is tiny, only usb or toslink but sounds great vs the other(far more expansive BTW)
Using spdif/toslink converter is really a mess ;-)
So I guess only PC will do it...life is tricky ;-)

Getting multichannel output out in digital form for a FDA is indeed less well supported than analogue out, but you don't actually need a PC if that isn't your preferred solution.

Nanodigi + coax->spdif converters I still think would be easiest. If you don't want the conversion then a nanosharc with a couple of toslink outputs hung of its i2s connections (sure electronics seem to make a suitable one), or the minisharc which would let you use their digi-fp for one in/out.

Hi,

Not sure to understand perfectly your need by it looks similar to what I tried here : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/293362-orange-pi-digital-crossover-2x-usb-amps-wrap-up.html

This was not a complete success, unfortunatly, because of failure to synchronize the 2 USB.

Toslink is SPDIF over Fiber Optic... I'm currenly using http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ow-jitter-achieved-stm32-microcontroller.html

I'm very happy with that option. But you need to code and to do the Optical output adaptation.

Best regards,

JMF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.