BruteFIR DSP PC Step by Step

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I knew nothing about linux when I decided I wanted to do room correction and active crossover on a pc. it was really difficult to learn it so I thought I would do a fresh build with video and hopefully it minimizes the learning curve for others out there who want to go pc based.

there are many advantages
1. lots of processing power
2. no limitation on taps for fir filters
3. very easy once its set up
4. more affordable than many dedicated solutions
5.ability to add many inputs
6. fast
7 etc etc

Part 0. There is now a level zero(kungfu panda)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVtQtcUJ8fY

Part 1. A basic linux setup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reItJ82dARs

Part 2. Installing the necessary software and setting up wifi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqXZwmJEHc

Part 3. Logging in remotely and actually setting up brutefir with a basic config file
https://youtu.be/Ect5QZBXJxU

simple active crossover using brutefir and rephase
https://youtu.be/_mzOhhbX5Qo

I will post a couple more vids with some more setup actions
nosleep
autostart etc.

thanks

Last edited:
+1 for Linux and BruteFIR.
Ive been using them for my active crossovers for over 10yrs now :)

... actually make that 13 years :eek:
How time flies.

nice. im using mine for active xo as well. how many taps are you using for xo?

I've been reading about BruteFIR for years, but I don't know any Linux. I'm really looking forward to watching your videos and learning how to do it. Thanks!
Rich

you are welcome. its really easy. the only difficult thing about it is getting the wifi working.

Thank you so much for the videos!
I am quite new to all these digital DSP stuff circulating around DIY audio so I have a question, can any of this also be used for creating an active loudspeaker cross over, or where should I look at if BruteFIR isn't what one should use with active XO's?

I would preferably use some kind of bare DAC PCB which I can use together with some kind of mini computer like those Arduino and Raspberry boards and put all into a case, any suggestions on what HW and SW I should have a look at?
I noticed also at the Multi-Way forum this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...hase-linearization-eq-fir-filtering-tool.html
but remember having read some while ago somebody complained over the filter tap limit, so maybe rePhase isn't the best solution for active XO's?
ok I found one post, but that's not the first one complaining about the taps limit, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ion-eq-fir-filtering-tool-34.html#post4967940
his attached picture servs also a perfect example how I do not want to go about with ready made products put into one huge box.

I guess what I want to do is something like, measuring the loudspeaker element, feed in that data in to some program in my PC and bake a suitable filter out of it, and then from that create a file that can be programmed into some dedicated DSP processor thing(?) as they are much much faster doing math calculations than a PC processor which isn't optimized for that kind of job, but I have little to no ideas where to start as it's quite confusing because all the information is so vast and overwhelming making it quite difficult to grasp what bits and pieces would be of concern for my little DIY project I have in mind (a 2 way speaker, or 3 if I add in the woofers too), advices are welcome and sorry if my post is somewhat thread jacking.

Last edited:
Very stoopid question, but why does the BruteFir (root@Brutefir:”// ) command line in the beginning of the second video appear some 7 times/7 lines in a row?

Unfortunately, the command lines are difficult to read from the screen. For a total dummy such as I am, making these command lines, including a clarification of what these lines do, available as a text would be a great help.

Do I understand the set up is actually hybrid, in that BruteFir is all Linux, but REW runs under Windows?

Thanks anyway.

Eelco

Thank you so much for the videos!
I am quite new to all these digital DSP stuff circulating around DIY audio so I have a question, can any of this also be used for creating an active loudspeaker cross over, or where should I look at if BruteFIR isn't what one should use with active XO's?

I would preferably use some kind of bare DAC PCB which I can use together with some kind of mini computer like those Arduino and Raspberry boards and put all into a case, any suggestions on what HW and SW I should have a look at?
I noticed also at the Multi-Way forum this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...hase-linearization-eq-fir-filtering-tool.html
but remember having read some while ago somebody complained over the filter tap limit, so maybe rePhase isn't the best solution for active XO's?
ok I found one post, but that's not the first one complaining about the taps limit, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ion-eq-fir-filtering-tool-34.html#post4967940
his attached picture servs also a perfect example how I do not want to go about with ready made products put into one huge box.

I guess what I want to do is something like, measuring the loudspeaker element, feed in that data in to some program in my PC and bake a suitable filter out of it, and then from that create a file that can be programmed into some dedicated DSP processor thing(?) as they are much much faster doing math calculations than a PC processor which isn't optimized for that kind of job, but I have little to no ideas where to start as it's quite confusing because all the information is so vast and overwhelming making it quite difficult to grasp what bits and pieces would be of concern for my little DIY project I have in mind (a 2 way speaker, or 3 if I add in the woofers too), advices are welcome and sorry if my post is somewhat thread jacking.

its very easy to create an active crossover in brutefir. Essentially you create a channel for each driver and you create the filters in rephase and upload.

fairly simple once you do it a couple of times. I can post a tutorial.

dedicated processor chips are the ones that have the hardware limitations. the post you linked above is using an open drc box which is limited to 6144 taps and is the high end of what you find in dedicated boxes. on pc, many people are using as high as 65 thousand taps, which is a very very detailed correction.

Very stoopid question, but why does the BruteFir (root@Brutefir:”// ) command line in the beginning of the second video appear some 7 times/7 lines in a row?

Unfortunately, the command lines are difficult to read from the screen. For a total dummy such as I am, making these command lines, including a clarification of what these lines do, available as a text would be a great help.

Do I understand the set up is actually hybrid, in that BruteFir is all Linux, but REW runs under Windows?

Thanks anyway.

Eelco

I was just pressing enter multiple times to get the command closer to the middle of the screen because my camera wasnt capturing the very top of the screen.

I will do a text file of the setup options for the third video(is that the confusing one? its really just about setting up wifi, which can be a bit&# in linux.

Originally its was 16384 taps, but i split the filter down the center to 8192 taps to reduce the audio lag.
I created the filters using Octane and a simple script.

cool. Im using 8192 taps too haha. but I set my impulse center at 5% to have virtually no audio lag. I wish there was a processor out there that could delay video relative to audio.

its very easy to create an active crossover in brutefir. Essentially you create a channel for each driver and you create the filters in rephase and upload.

fairly simple once you do it a couple of times. I can post a tutorial.

dedicated processor chips are the ones that have the hardware limitations. the post you linked above is using an open drc box which is limited to 6144 taps and is the high end of what you find in dedicated boxes. on pc, many people are using as high as 65 thousand taps, which is a very very detailed correction.

Once again a big thanks!!
There are people who can learn only from raw text, and then there are those who can only immerse into information when presented visually, I guess I am one of the types from the latter group, so these videos have certainly helped me leap over the ravine in grasping what BruteFIR, REW, RePhase is about. :worship:

Regarding the taps limitation in dedicated DSP, I guess then, in contrast to plain and trivial XO filter slopes, the only way forward is using PC/Linux HW/SW if I'm going to correct some hairy room/loudspeaker-element frequency responses.
Can I use any of the aforementioned SW's also for linearizing a loudspeaker elements phase response, or in what direction should I look then?

One thing that escaped me a bit though, is WiFi necessary for setting up BruteFIR, or is it just a matter of convenience as I assume we could as well transfer the files over LAN or on USB stick.

BTW, regarding video capturing of your screen, should be possible to do the Linux installation part in a VM instead so the host OS can still record everything happening on your screen, that's how all those OS installation HQ video tutorials are done.

Last edited:
Video delay is not easy unless youre using a PC as the source.

Oh, i also used "jconvolver" instead of BruteFIR for a while.
It did the job just as well as BruteFIR.

you right. Ive searched and couldnt really find anything affordable to delay video

Once again a big thanks!!
There are people who can learn only from raw text, and then there are those who can only immerse into information when presented visually, I guess I am one of the types from the latter group, so these videos have certainly helped me leap over the ravine in grasping what BruteFIR, REW, RePhase is about. :worship:

Regarding the taps limitation in dedicated DSP, I guess then, in contrast to plain and trivial XO filter slopes, the only way forward is using PC/Linux HW/SW if I'm going to correct some hairy room/loudspeaker-element frequency responses.
Can I use any of the aforementioned SW's also for linearizing a loudspeaker elements phase response, or in what direction should I look then?

One thing that escaped me a bit though, is WiFi necessary for setting up BruteFIR, or is it just a matter of convenience as I assume we could as well transfer the files over LAN or on USB stick.

BTW, regarding video capturing of your screen, should be possible to do the Linux installation part in a VM instead so the host OS can still record everything happening on your screen, that's how all those OS installation HQ video tutorials are done.

you are very welcome. Yes, a pc will allow you unbelievable flexibilty.

you can use rephase to linearize the phase of a loudspeaker. it has a phase eq that works just like a frequency eq

Wifi is not necessary for setting this up actually. I used mine without wifi for months until I finally decided to go remote. Its just more of a hassle mounting and unmounting usb disks and if you play with filters a lot it gets tedious

thanks for the information on the VM. rookie mistake. I had no idea they even had VMs.(Virtual Machine?)
maybe next time.

Thinking out loud - wouldnt it be cool as heck to have a brutefir distro that has everything already configured?

I wonder how difficult that would be to implement.

Thinking out loud - wouldnt it be cool as heck to have a brutefir distro that has everything already configured?

I wonder how difficult that would be to implement.

I did that years ago with TinyCore Linux as Basement. User response was: 0
so i dropped the Project.
I think it is better to write some scripts, so it will be platform independent, e.g with Debian you can use such scripts on low Power Consumption Arm SBCs (Raspberrys, Odroids etc.) and x86 Machines.

Regards

The underlying problem is that the overwhelming majority of people interested, such as myself, has very very limited knowledge and experience in PC handling other than a bit of mouse -clicking.

For many amongst the -limited- group of experts, writing e.g. batchfiles, is a piece of cake. It all
seems self explanatory. That is just one example of many.

For all others producing a batch file already is extremely intimidating and without literally a step by step tutorial including detailed clarification of each command line and its content seems quite undoable.

There is huge gap between the small group of digitally advanced (1201, Laub, Wesayso, Pos just to name a few: there are many others) on diyaudio and the majority. This can easily be seen at the relatively small number of participants in discussions and threads on the PC Audio Forum compared to other Fora. This may explain why, for instance, Skyunlimited had nil response.

Video tutorials and step by step texts help, but even those are not always entirely clear.
Please do not take this as criticism.

Eelco

I knew nothing about linux when I decided I wanted to do room correction and active crossover on a pc. it was really difficult to learn it so I thought I would do a fresh build with video and hopefully it minimizes the learning curve for others out there who want to go pc based.

:up:

It's about time, lots of misconceptions out there about just how much raw compute power the average PC has these days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.