PC wireless network to Pi (help, please)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Noob disclaimer. I'm surely going to say things incorrectly, but I hope you can get the point.

Here is my situation. I have been able to network my 3TB music library from my PC (upstairs) to my PI (running Kodi) in the basement. The Pi is connected via HDMI to my AV receiver and I can play music. The issue lies in the functionality of the onboard player (Kodi?). I have to go through my PC file structure (Artist > album > song) to play a song....and then do it over again for the next song. No "player" functionality.

My buddy is the Pi guy. maybe Kodi isn't the right solution. So if not, what direction should I point him in to find a program (image?) that will work like a player (iTunes-ish) over a shared network.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Noob disclaimer. I'm surely going to say things incorrectly, but I hope you can get the point.

Here is my situation. I have been able to network my 3TB music library from my PC (upstairs) to my PI (running Kodi) in the basement. The Pi is connected via HDMI to my AV receiver and I can play music. The issue lies in the functionality of the onboard player (Kodi?). I have to go through my PC file structure (Artist > album > song) to play a song....and then do it over again for the next song. No "player" functionality.

My buddy is the Pi guy. maybe Kodi isn't the right solution. So if not, what direction should I point him in to find a program (image?) that will work like a player (iTunes-ish) over a shared network.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

It has been a little while since I ran XBMC or Kodi on the Pi. It does have player/browser functionality though, I'm sure of it.

You can add network shares to the library or add UPNP servers.

I use MPD on my Pi system. The PC-based client software can access by filesystem, artist, genre, or playlist. On PC, I use Auremo, but there are client solutions for many OS.

Thanks JP. I'll look into MPD. What does "pic-based client software mean?" Are you just stating that MPD (on the Pi) is pc based client software?

And is auremo something you need to run on the PC (computer upstairs that my pi is networking to) in order for MPD to work.

I really want to learn this stuff...but maybe I'm helpless haha

It has been a little while since I ran XBMC or Kodi on the Pi. It does have player/browser functionality though, I'm sure of it.

You can add network shares to the library or add UPNP servers.

Thanks Jerms. I'm able to access and play my music from my PC like you mention. Just not a very useable interface. I've basically got it "working like it should, it just struggles looking at a 3tb library.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.