ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry Pi

Would be nice something that you can just stack on top of the DAC and allow for many output options. A bit like the VZaudio Modular NS OPS amplifier, it has the option of adding different IPS to it. They have several SS designs available and a Tube IPS as well. I love the modular approach!

Do

That's really a good idea. Will do it this way.

My DAC will have raw balanced outputs to the daughter board that stacks on top of it. The interface will be open source to community members. You can even design IV/analog stage by your self. Discrete, transformer,tube,OP...everything is possible. You may have different kind of daughter boards for it. A lot of fun:)

I'll post more solutions later. I hope you like them.

Thank you so much.
Ian

That's really a good idea. Will do it this way.

My DAC will have raw balanced outputs to the daughter board that stacks on top of it. The interface will be open source to community members. You can even design IV/analog stage by your self. Discrete, transformer,tube,OP...everything is possible. You may have different kind of daughter boards for it. A lot of fun:)

I'll post more solutions later. I hope you like them.

Thank you so much.
Ian
That's perfect!!!

Ok, thanks.
I thought ESS DAC has both options as raw output.

Yes, you can have balanced or unbalanced outputs:

- in "voltage output mode": simply use one phase of the DAC output, and feed this to a high-impedance input of a reconstruction filter. The opposite DAC phase is left open.

- in "Current output mode" (normal mode), there are various methods of single-ended output generation:

- the standard differential I→V with reconstruction filter, followed by a Differential-to-SE stage;

- or, apply a single I→V to one DAC phase, while routing the opposite phase to terminate current (example: to A_VCC, A_VCC/2, or A_GND)

Hi guys,

I made some I/V DIY PCB for test and evaluation.

I'll will try some different I/V solutions on it.

I have 8 of them available for sharing with you guys. Please let me know if your are really interested in trying your I/V solution for ES9018K2M/ES9028Q2M/ES9038Q2M DAC.

Regards,
Ian

IVdiy1
by Ian, on Flickr
Hi Ian,

Could you provide an eagle template sch/brd for the I/V board with the connection socket to the dac etc?

Something like:

B+ HAT Eagle CAD template - Raspberry Pi Forums

It would be great starting point for custom I/V board development.