ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry Pi

Since I’ve already made Raspberry Pi capable for DSD playback, I think I’ll need a DSD/I2S DAC HAT for it. Few DSD DAC is available for Pi so far, so I’m gonna design something around.

I’ll pick up ES9018K2M first because basically it’s the 2 channel version of ES9018 (2ch vs 8ch), and I've been very happy with ES9018. Both of them have same SABRE32 Reference DAC core, so good sound quality is expected, here are some speciations:

. Industry’s highest performance 32-bit mobile audio DAC with unprecedented dynamic range and ultra low distortion;
. Supports both synchronous and ASRC (asynchronous sample rate converter) modes;
. Unmatched audio clarity free from input clock jitter;
. 127dB DNR -120dB THD+N;
. PCM384KHz/DSD512;
. Mono or stereo output in current or voltage mode based on performance criterion;
. Supports SPDIF, PCM (I2S, LJ 16-32-bit) or DSD input;
. 64-bit accumulator and 32-bit processing. Distortion free volume control;
. I2C based software control;

Prototype PCB is coming very soon.

ES9018K2MPiPCB
by Ian

ES9028Q2MDAC3
by Ian, on Flickr

ES9038Q2MRaspberryPiDAC
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Last edited:
Dear Ian,

That sure sounds fantastic, like all of your designs!

But is there a chance to organize the interest list in one of those google spreadsheets, that way it will be easier for anyone to change the number of boards in each position. And it might be easier for you to check which boards are more in demand, I find the current interest list a little too complicated to say the least, whenever I decide to add or subtract something I have to copy all previous posts with the risk to involuntary changing someone's list... And I change my mind often :)

Dear Ian,

That sure sounds fantastic, like all of your designs!

But is there a chance to organize the interest list in one of those google spreadsheets, that way it will be easier for anyone to change the number of boards in each position. And it might be easier for you to check which boards are more in demand, I find the current interest list a little too complicated to say the least, whenever I decide to add or subtract something I have to copy all previous posts with the risk to involuntary changing someone's list... And I change my mind often :)

Thanks Nikola,

Just let me figure out how to do it :)

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

How do you get around the lack of open source firmware and drivers for ESS products?

regards

Hi Greg,

First you have to sign the NDA with ESS to get all datasheets. But I don't think there is any open source driver available for ESS9018. I have a couple of options, but in either way I have to write something by myself.

Regards,
Ian

I would say, that some rechecking may be a good idea, don't we all agree, that RPi generated I2S isn't too good?

Knowing Ian, he's probably planning on running the 9018K2M in master mode.. ;)

The highlighted part of this DAC would be playing both DSD and I2S on top of RPi.

However, everybody knows the issue of RPi, the signal quality...

Yes, to achieve higher sound quality, we have to run it in master mode. A FIFO or a master mode re-clocker will be required in this case.

I'm gonna design a FifoPi with built-in DSD decoder for it. I hope I can start very soon ... :)

Ian

Hi Ian,

You finally never told us if you were hearing a difference with the I2S output of an Odroid C1+ vs a Pi3 as you have both ?

And ultimatly if a difference occurs (at ears) despite the Fifo+isolator+reclocker ?

Does it no make sense to deal with ESS9038 or AK chip ?

on this project : no sota ESS electrical voltage reference chip and sota ldo reg ?? NDK or similar very near of the dac chip, to stay cost low ??? Many Pi dac hats are existing already, what is the plus ?

Last edited: