Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry Pi
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2018, 12:41 PM   #241
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaled View Post
>IF the clocks are permanently mounted

I hope Ian will continue with the original reclocker boards tradition of having interchangable clocks given the available real estate on the rpi board.
Hi xaled,

Yes, you are right.

For my FIFO solutions, all XOs will be interchangeable. That's a transition. Or you can call it "DIY friendly" .

Regards,
Ian
Old 18th April 2018, 12:44 PM   #242
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
Ian,

I got the Lundahl LL1570XL board done fairly early tonight. So I was able to put your DAC board stack with the Onetics 600R:600R output transformer (I don't think it could be called an I/V in this configuration) into a system and test it out. Sitting here typing after it's been running about 15 minutes and it's starting to bloom a bit and sound pretty good. I like to give equipment at least 100 hours of run time before attempting any serious assessments, but my initial impressions are very promising.

The Onetics is configured with the center tap AC grounded using a 22uF PPS SMD film capacitor on each channel.

I'm thinking it needs a little filtering, so when I get more bench time I'll try the Madds1/Rod Coleman/Joe R filtering setup. BUT even without that, it is VERY promising, especially now at about 45 minutes of run-time!

I haven't used the controller for anything but adjusting volume so far tonight, but I used both with the on-board control knob and remote for volume and navigating through the menu a bit and all appears to be working well.

Again, excited about the possibility of an all-in-one Fifo-Isolator-Clock board for the RPi. IF the clocks are permanently mounted, consider going with the NDK NZ2520SDA series, as sold in this group buy:

NDK NZ2520SDA oscillators group buy

I've seen good reports on the series (though they do have the typical unit-to-unit variations) and have heard one setup where the standard SD's were replaced by the SDA to good effect.

More impressions coming as I have time.

Again, thanks!

Greg Stewart

P.S. Ian, it appears that this board only has 2 LT3042-based regulators on-board. Is that correct? If so, I could input a somewhat higher voltage (say 7V) to the board without any problems, correct?

P.P.S. I'll post some pix of the Onetics setup and the wiring on the Lundahl LL1570XL in the next couple of days. Also, before anyone asks, the reason I'm doing these output setups on perf board instead of using Ians truly beautiful output boards is that 1) I have more options to try than boards from Ian and 2) my RPi DAC setup is physically configured with the output connectors on the side opposite the RPi expansion connector, this makes it easier to keep to that orientation.
Hi Greg,

All on-board regs are LT3042. So, you can use 7V DC power as input without any problem.

Ian
Old 18th April 2018, 12:46 PM   #243
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Another view

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaled View Post
>IF the clocks are permanently mounted

I hope Ian will continue with the original reclocker boards tradition of having interchangable clocks given the available real estate on the rpi board.
My take on this is somewhat different... as Ian is combining the functionality from what is now 3 separate boards (each larger than the standard RPi DAC HAT) into 1 board, I'm assuming he is wrestling with compromises. IF one trade-off is overall performance versus easily interchangeable clocks, I vote for performance. I am of the mind that RPi players are on the cusp of moving from upper mid-fi to lower high-end based on some of the products introduced in the last year or so and some to be released soon and this will be a good addition to that movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Hi Greg,

All on-board regs are LT3042. So, you can use 7V DC power as input without any problem.

Ian
Thanks for that confirmation. Curious if it'll make any noticeable difference. I DON"T expect to hear one, but reality often conflicts with my expectations and surprises me!

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited by Greg Stewart; 18th April 2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #244
thuanth43 is offline thuanth43  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Ian,

I wonder if adjusting the volume in Volumio does the same job as using your controller? I'm thinking of using the Pi's 7" touchscreen to do all the task, would that work?
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuanth43 View Post
Ian,

I wonder if adjusting the volume in Volumio does the same job as using your controller? I'm thinking of using the Pi's 7" touchscreen to do all the task, would that work?
I can answer that... no. Adjusting the volume in Volumio changes the volume using a software process in Volumio and the associated device drivers. Changing it with Ian's controller changes it using the firmware-based processes in the ESS ES9028Q2M chip. People have said that the ESS on-chip volume control is VERY good. I personally haven't compared much, so I cannot comment, but my experience with driver/software volume controls has generally been they work best when at full volume (that is not engaged at all).

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited by Greg Stewart; Yesterday at 03:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madds1 View Post
Although this is for 1545 - works for 1544A too.

http://www.lundahl.se/wp-content/upl...2000_01_13.pdf

I used configuration E 1:4 for ES9018. Sounds the best.

With ES9028Q2M you will have to load the primaries with 260 ohms. That will reduce the signal by 1/4 to give you a 2V RMS assuming a 403 ohm output impedance per phase. That will put the primary impedance at 196 ohms (403*2 || 260). And secondary reflected impedance at 3.1K (196*16)

That is just enough source impedance not to cause phase shifts at higher frequencies over unbalanced RCA (per meter capacitance worst case is 300pf/meter)

The cap in parallel to 260 ohms should be 39nf for a 20K corner frequency

Hope this helps
@Madds1 & @Rod Coleman, what is the formula for calculating the capacitance value in response to the paralleled resistor value for this circuit?

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM   #247
smoothquark is offline smoothquark  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
I can answer that... no. Adjusting the volume in Volumio changes the volume using a software process in Volumio and the associated device drivers. Changing it with Ian's controller changes it using the firmware-based processes in the ESS ES9028Q2M chip. People have said that is a VERY good volume control. I personally haven't compared much, so I cannot comment.

Greg in Mississippi
I thought there was a Linux driver available to control the ESS controller? Via ALSA? Deal breaker for me otherwise.
Old Today, 02:06 AM   #248
stellarelephant is offline stellarelephant  United States
diyAudio Member

Volumio does have the "hardware" volume control setting, which I assume allows the UI to control certain DACs with the built-in volume capability. (I haven't used it; I like a real pot.)

ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry PiHide this!Advertise here!