ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry Pi

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ian,

Thanks for the info on the remote. I’ll get one of the Apple Remote equivalents on order, since the REAL Apple Remote appears to be no longer available.

I received the package with your ES9028Q2M DAC HAT, ESS DAC Controller, & I/V boards last week. I’ve got the DAC HAT assembled on an RPi -> IsolatorPi -> Allo.com stack and am working out the controller and I/V boards.

With the controller, I’ve added a header to the isolated expansion of the IsolatorPi and plan to connect it there. BUT mounting it there points it away from my listening area AND it will be hidden by the rest of the stack, so I’m looking at how to provide an extension cable.

I first tried a couple of RPi GPIO Breakout board kits, but sadly the 40p-40p ribbon cable swaps the 2 expansion pin rows. I considered just using 2 in series which would swap them back, but decided it would be cleaner to make up my own specific adapter cable, as it seems to only need 5 connections anyway… +5V, Gnd, BCK, LRCK, SDA, and SCL. Correct?

To confirm my mapping, I used the attached GPIO Pinout along with the attached schematic from your RPi I2S u.fl adapter board. I get the following pins for each connection:

+5V = pins 2/4 (either ok)

GND = pins 6/14/20/30/34/9/25/39 (any ok)

BCK = pin 12

LRCK = pin 35

SDA = pin 3

SCL = pin 5

Just so I don’t trash your beautiful controller, can you confirm I got this right?

Then on I/V boards, since I have a number of options to try. I’m making them up on perf-board so I can save your beautiful I/V boards for the final setup. Right now I’m definitely going to try a pair each of these transformers: Onetics 600R:600R, Lundahl LL1570XL, and Lundahl LL1684.

I also have a pair of Cinemag CMLI-15/15B to use with Carlsor’s FET buffer from this thread (Upgraded Single Board PCM1794 NOS DDDAC)... I’ll try that setup later.

The other 2 I/V setups I have planned to are 1) building up a couple of OPA1632-based active I/V boards (they nicely provide a good balanced output) and 2) this I/V transformer from EBay (ST-20600-OB Audio Transformer 20Ω:600Ω for DAC | eBay), sadly no longer available, but I have a pair stashed away here.

I’ll post pix as I get everything assembled and setup and report back on results as they come in.

Again, THANKS!

Greg in Mississippi

Attachments

• Raspberry-Pi-GPIO-Layout-Model-B-Plus-rotated-2700x900.png
    Raspberry-Pi-GPIO-Layout-Model-B-Plus-rotated-2700x900.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 757
  • PiI2SAdapterSchematic.pdf
    10.9 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Hi Ian,

If you remember I am still looking for a multichannel DAC.
I am hoping there is a way to use you current DAC solution.

I understand this is supposed to be stacked on a RaspPi.
However, is there a way to use 4 of these DAC+IV stack and connect them to you MCFIFO/CLOCK and the controller board?

If you could enable this, it would really open an option for folks looking for a MC DAC for multiway DSP speakers.
I know of atleast 5-6 folks in this forum looking for such a solution.

Hopefully there wont be any signal integrity, power supply or other compromises with this approach.

Could you please comment.

Thanks
JP

Ian,

Thanks for the info on the remote. I’ll get one of the Apple Remote equivalents on order, since the REAL Apple Remote appears to be no longer available.

I received the package with your ES9028Q2M DAC HAT, ESS DAC Controller, & I/V boards last week. I’ve got the DAC HAT assembled on an RPi -> IsolatorPi -> Allo.com stack and am working out the controller and I/V boards.

With the controller, I’ve added a header to the isolated expansion of the IsolatorPi and plan to connect it there. BUT mounting it there points it away from my listening area AND it will be hidden by the rest of the stack, so I’m looking at how to provide an extension cable.

I first tried a couple of RPi GPIO Breakout board kits, but sadly the 40p-40p ribbon cable swaps the 2 expansion pin rows. I considered just using 2 in series which would swap them back, but decided it would be cleaner to make up my own specific adapter cable, as it seems to only need 5 connections anyway… +5V, Gnd, BCK, LRCK, SDA, and SCL. Correct?

To confirm my mapping, I used the attached GPIO Pinout along with the attached schematic from your RPi I2S u.fl adapter board. I get the following pins for each connection:

+5V = pins 2/4 (either ok)

GND = pins 6/14/20/30/34/9/25/39 (any ok)

BCK = pin 12

LRCK = pin 35

SDA = pin 3

SCL = pin 5

Just so I don’t trash your beautiful controller, can you confirm I got this right?

Then on I/V boards, since I have a number of options to try. I’m making them up on perf-board so I can save your beautiful I/V boards for the final setup. Right now I’m definitely going to try a pair each of these transformers: Onetics 600R:600R, Lundahl LL1570XL, and Lundahl LL1684.

I also have a pair of Cinemag CMLI-15/15B to use with Carlsor’s FET buffer from this thread (Upgraded Single Board PCM1794 NOS DDDAC)... I’ll try that setup later.

The other 2 I/V setups I have planned to are 1) building up a couple of OPA1632-based active I/V boards (they nicely provide a good balanced output) and 2) this I/V transformer from EBay (ST-20600-OB Audio Transformer 20Ω:600Ω for DAC | eBay), sadly no longer available, but I have a pair stashed away here.

I’ll post pix as I get everything assembled and setup and report back on results as they come in.

Again, THANKS!

Greg in Mississippi

Hi Greg,

I think your connections are correct.

I attached the GPIO signals of the ESS controller(top view). Only 6 wires need to be connected. Don't worry about the PiRXD0 and RiTxD0, they are optional for Linux driver.

To play music up to 384KHz, I would suggest placing GND wires in between each signals, connecting them together at end to the controller.

I'm highly recommended connecting the ESS controller to the non-isolated GPIO of IsolatorPi to make it as isolated controller. In this case, ESS controller will have no any business with ESS DAC in electronic. It will work like a ghost:D.

Please let me know if there is anything I can help.

Regards,
Ian

Attachments

• RPiConnections.png
    RPiConnections.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 993
Hi Ian,

If you remember I am still looking for a multichannel DAC.
I am hoping there is a way to use you current DAC solution.

I understand this is supposed to be stacked on a RaspPi.
However, is there a way to use 4 of these DAC+IV stack and connect them to you MCFIFO/CLOCK and the controller board?

If you could enable this, it would really open an option for folks looking for a MC DAC for multiway DSP speakers.
I know of atleast 5-6 folks in this forum looking for such a solution.

Hopefully there wont be any signal integrity, power supply or other compromises with this approach.

Could you please comment.

Thanks
JP

Hi JP,

It might be possible. But I have to confirm. The only thing is that if ESS controller can drive multiple ESS DACs as one (with same MCLK).

My McFifo solution should have no problem with enough outputs to support.

Regards,
Ian

Hi JP,

It might be possible. But I have to confirm. The only thing is that if ESS controller can drive multiple ESS DACs as one (with same MCLK).

My McFifo solution should have no problem with enough outputs to support.

Regards,
Ian

yeah the controller writing registers on all four devices in parallel and reads only getting the settings from one of the devices is an option if possible.

Yeah i remember your MCFIFO is nicely done to support multiple boards. Hence i was hoping if you could make some minor adjustments to enable this option in an optimal way.

Will feeding the I2S lines and clock to all boards be feasible? Will the DAC clocks be in sync? Also we will need some way around gain differences between the devices.

Power supply requirements for the DAC/IV/MCFIFO/MC_USB interface is another factor.

Please analyze and let me know if you think this wont be an optimal solution.

Thanks Ian.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've tried many different configurations. This is the one I like the most. Here is the schematic. Please let me know if there is any other better option.

LL1674BalancedIV
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Ian,

I'm close to powering your DAC & controller with the Onetics 600r:600R transformers. I only need to finish a quick & dirty mounting for the controller & it should be ready. My stack is RPi -> IsolatorPi -> Allo.com Kali reclocker -> ES9028Q2M DAC board and the controller is connected via the isolated expansion header on the IsolatorPi. In an effort to get the best sound I can out of the setup, I'll be powering the RPi from a good 5V linear supply and each of the components on the stack via a separate Uptone Audio LPS-1 Ultracap power supply (3 in toto). Later I'll try both a dual LPS-1 into a dual 3||LT3045 board to power the RPi AND also once I get one working, a modified RPi with LT3045 regulators replacing the on-board DC-DC converter.

See attached pix of my quick & dirty Onetics transformers on a perf board HAT and connections to the controller. Thanks, BTW, for the separate connection header on the controller, it made hooking it up to the isolated expansion header on the IsolatorPi very easy.

A quick question... in your output stage setup, you used a 20uF cap to ground on each channel. I don't see them in your pictures, so I'm assuming you used small non-polarized electrolytics, since it is an AC connection to ground, not a filter cap, correct? Or am I missing something and you used something different?

I'm looking at using a couple of 10uF PPS SMD film caps in parallel for each side... they'll fit under the board easily & should best all of my NP electrolytics (except for the ones I have in my dwindling stock of Black Gates, which I'm not going to use for trialing various transformers as output stages).

I'm also working on a few more transformer output stages for the setup, likely have 1 or 2 more ready to try today (though I won't put them in until I get some time on the Onetics setup.

Again, THANKS!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I did test your controller on your older ES9018K2M DAC last week while checking operation of one of my sets of transformers. It performed flawlessly. I think I'm going to like it, especially when used in isolated mode.

Attachments

• IMAG6852.jpg
    IMAG6852.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 847
  • IMAG6851.jpg
    IMAG6851.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 840
  • IMAG6853.jpg
    IMAG6853.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 834
Ian,

I'm close to powering your DAC & controller with the Onetics 600r:600R transformers. I only need to finish a quick & dirty mounting for the controller & it should be ready. My stack is RPi -> IsolatorPi -> Allo.com Kali reclocker -> ES9028Q2M DAC board and the controller is connected via the isolated expansion header on the IsolatorPi. In an effort to get the best sound I can out of the setup, I'll be powering the RPi from a good 5V linear supply and each of the components on the stack via a separate Uptone Audio LPS-1 Ultracap power supply (3 in toto). Later I'll try both a dual LPS-1 into a dual 3||LT3045 board to power the RPi AND also once I get one working, a modified RPi with LT3045 regulators replacing the on-board DC-DC converter.

See attached pix of my quick & dirty Onetics transformers on a perf board HAT and connections to the controller. Thanks, BTW, for the separate connection header on the controller, it made hooking it up to the isolated expansion header on the IsolatorPi very easy.

A quick question... in your output stage setup, you used a 20uF cap to ground on each channel. I don't see them in your pictures, so I'm assuming you used small non-polarized electrolytics, since it is an AC connection to ground, not a filter cap, correct? Or am I missing something and you used something different?

I'm looking at using a couple of 10uF PPS SMD film caps in parallel for each side... they'll fit under the board easily & should best all of my NP electrolytics (except for the ones I have in my dwindling stock of Black Gates, which I'm not going to use for trialing various transformers as output stages).

I'm also working on a few more transformer output stages for the setup, likely have 1 or 2 more ready to try today (though I won't put them in until I get some time on the Onetics setup.

Again, THANKS!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I did test your controller on your older ES9018K2M DAC last week while checking operation of one of my sets of transformers. It performed flawlessly. I think I'm going to like it, especially when used in isolated mode.

Hi Greg,

Good to know your progress.

The 20uF capacitors are for the visual ground to the ESS DAC output. Only bypass AC current, not for filtering. I used two 10uF MLCC at bottom side. Film capacitors could be better.

madds1 recommended a pure balanced configuration, maybe your are also interested in giving a try:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-b...i2s-dac-hats-raspberry-pi-15.html#post5369598

I'm going to design an adapter, with it you can connect the ESS controller externally by just a FFC cable. Hopefully soon.

BTW, I'm working on FifiPi now. It's an all in one solution with FIFO, isolator and clock board integrated together in a single RPi HAT. I believe it will make you system more recognized :).

Please let me know if you have update.

Regards,
Ian

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Greg,

Good to know your progress.

The 20uF capacitors are for the visual ground to the ESS DAC output. Only bypass AC current, not for filtering. I used two 10uF MLCC at bottom side. Film capacitors could be better.

madds1 recommended a pure balanced configuration, maybe your are also interested in giving a try:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-b...i2s-dac-hats-raspberry-pi-15.html#post5369598

I'm going to design an adapter, with it you can connect the ESS controller externally by just a FFC cable. Hopefully soon.

BTW, I'm working on FifiPi now. It's an all in one solution with FIFO, isolator and clock board integrated together in a single RPi HAT. I believe it will make you system more recognized :).

Please let me know if you have update.

Regards,
Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the info. I'd also seen Madds1 & Rod Coleman's comments on not using the capacitor to ground and just the filter cap across the 2 phases. I intend to start with it setup the way you did initially, then move to their recommended setup. I also have some 22uf PPS SMD capacitors, I'll use them for the AC connection to ground.

Then when I try Madds1 & Rod Coleman's setup, since I am trying this with different transformers than the LL1544/1545, I may have to play with the load resistor to get the appropriate level of attenuation in my setups and then adjust the filter capacitor in response to that resistor value to retain the correct filter inflection point.

I should finish up my 2nd transformer I/V HAT tonight (with a pair of Lundahl LL1570XL's). Once I'm done, I'll put the stack in a system with the Onetics transformer setup tonight or tomorrow.

I look forward to your controller adapter and FifiPi. Both should be great solutions for the RPi DIY enthusiasts!!!

Greg in Mississippi

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ian,

I got the Lundahl LL1570XL board done fairly early tonight. So I was able to put your DAC board stack with the Onetics 600R:600R output transformer (I don't think it could be called an I/V in this configuration) into a system and test it out. Sitting here typing after it's been running about 15 minutes and it's starting to bloom a bit and sound pretty good. I like to give equipment at least 100 hours of run time before attempting any serious assessments, but my initial impressions are very promising.

The Onetics is configured with the center tap AC grounded using a 22uF PPS SMD film capacitor on each channel.

I'm thinking it needs a little filtering, so when I get more bench time I'll try the Madds1/Rod Coleman/Joe R filtering setup. BUT even without that, it is VERY promising, especially now at about 45 minutes of run-time!

I haven't used the controller for anything but adjusting volume so far tonight, but I used both with the on-board control knob and remote for volume and navigating through the menu a bit and all appears to be working well.

Again, excited about the possibility of an all-in-one Fifo-Isolator-Clock board for the RPi. IF the clocks are permanently mounted, consider going with the NDK NZ2520SDA series, as sold in this group buy:

NDK NZ2520SDA oscillators group buy

I've seen good reports on the series (though they do have the typical unit-to-unit variations) and have heard one setup where the standard SD's were replaced by the SDA to good effect.

More impressions coming as I have time.

Again, thanks!

Greg Stewart

P.S. Ian, it appears that this board only has 2 LT3042-based regulators on-board. Is that correct? If so, I could input a somewhat higher voltage (say 7V) to the board without any problems, correct?

P.P.S. I'll post some pix of the Onetics setup and the wiring on the Lundahl LL1570XL in the next couple of days. Also, before anyone asks, the reason I'm doing these output setups on perf board instead of using Ians truly beautiful output boards is that 1) I have more options to try than boards from Ian and 2) my RPi DAC setup is physically configured with the output connectors on the side opposite the RPi expansion connector, this makes it easier to keep to that orientation.