Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Asus Tinker
Asus Tinker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2017, 07:49 PM   #51
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Asus Tinker
The latest version of TinkerOS (2.0.4) is now available here:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...lip-v2.0.4.zip
Default username is “linaro”, password is “linaro”

I just discovered that it natively supports my favorite USB WiFi dongle, the Edimax EW-7811UTC. Nice! Configuration is not automatic, but only needs to be done once.
Old 13th December 2017, 03:52 PM   #52
rpi is offline rpi  United States
diyAudio Member

FYI,
Tinker now supports HiFiBerry boards:
Tinkerboard now supports HiFiBerry | HiFiBerry
Old 13th December 2017, 04:42 PM   #53
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Asus Tinker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpi View Post
FYI,
Tinker now supports HiFiBerry boards:
Tinkerboard now supports HiFiBerry | HiFiBerry
That's awesome news, thank you for posting.

I've got a couple hifiberry dac+'s, I'll have to try this combo out soon.
Old 15th December 2017, 12:35 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Asus Tinker
I've been doing a little more experimenting with the Tinker Board, WiFi, and a multichannel USB soundcard and I thought I would share my experiences for those who are looking for a platform for DSP audio work that is a little more capable than the Raspberry Pi.

I need a multichannel DAC that meets certain criteria, and would also like to have a couple of ADC channels for audio input. I've turned to pro audio recording interfaces with a USB interface. Since I want to use 6 or 8 output channels and a couple of input channels simultaneously I need a good implementation of the USB bus on my SBC hardware. I also stream audio over WiFi to my systems, and typically this has been via a USB WiFi dongle. In addition I am synchronizing the system clock with a master clock over WiFi using NTP, so I need a good quality WiFi connection to get the tightest level of synchronization possible.

How does this relate to the Tinker board, you might ask? Well unlike the Pi, where both USB and wired ethernet run through the same interface chip, the tinker board has separate and independent USB 2.0 and gigabit ethernet controllers. With the tinkerboard, I noticed that I could get very good synchronization (jitter <20microsec) over ethernet, but over WiFi the jitter increased almost 10x and that was not acceptable. So I hatched a plan to use a WiFi range extender (Netgear EX3700) as a WiFi dongle that is connected via the ethernet port. I was very happy to see that the synchronization over WiFi using that means of connection was just about as good as with ethernet.

When I proceeded to load the USB bus with work, the level of synchronization did not change. I did this by running the unit with all 6 input channels and all 10 output channels simultaneously carrying 24bit/96kHz audio. All good!

My previous experience with the Netgear EX3700 is that it has superior range and signal sensitivity/quality compared to the best USB WiFi dongles that I have used. It has two external movable antennas and is dual band (g and n). There are similar models with a/b/g/n/ac to fit your budget. This means I can locate my remote system pretty much anywhere in my home and have a great WiFi connection for audio and NTP. These things are a better-performing alternative to the more common USB adapter, albeit at about twice the cost.

In general, he new Tinker OS release seems pretty solid and an improvement over the previous one. The Tinker Board seems to be a good option for audio work and it has a couple of times the computing power of the Pi 3. When you are trying to processing multichannel audio in real time on a low-power, general computing platform that was not really designed for audio, a little bit extra hardware performance is welcome!

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 15th December 2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:16 PM   #55
DarpMalone is offline DarpMalone  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadra View Post
Thanks, I guess I'll just have to jump in and try.
The TB isn't that expensive, but it is my only one
You meant Volumio when you mentioned vlc or are you running vlc on the TB?
I use Volumio, in the settings you can just select 'SPDIF' as output device on the TB.
Late reply but I've been running mine this way (SPDIF & GND header to MiniDSP MiniDigi). It works and sounds great with both Android and TinkerOS
Old 24th January 2018, 06:11 PM   #56
DPH is online now DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
In general, he new Tinker OS release seems pretty solid and an improvement over the previous one. The Tinker Board seems to be a good option for audio work and it has a couple of times the computing power of the Pi 3. When you are trying to processing multichannel audio in real time on a low-power, general computing platform that was not really designed for audio, a little bit extra hardware performance is welcome!
Just looping back to this as I'm starting to move towards my digital xo project over the rest of my backlog -- I know there was some initial complaints about the Tinker OS that seems to have been eliminated, but I'm wondering if you're finding the functionality all that you'd need to dump out to a USB multichannel card (I'll probably use the XMOS USB to multi-I2s) working well and no trouble with ecasound/SoX/etc.

Have plenty of experience with Linux, but not on these small board so just making sure I won't run into missing functionality.
Old 24th January 2018, 07:26 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Asus Tinker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
Just looping back to this as I'm starting to move towards my digital xo project over the rest of my backlog -- I know there was some initial complaints about the Tinker OS that seems to have been eliminated, but I'm wondering if you're finding the functionality all that you'd need to dump out to a USB multichannel card (I'll probably use the XMOS USB to multi-I2s) working well and no trouble with ecasound/SoX/etc.

Have plenty of experience with Linux, but not on these small board so just making sure I won't run into missing functionality.
When I used the Tinker Board with a 6-ch-in, 8-ch-out USB audio interface everything seemed to work fine in testing. This was with ecasound as the crossover and for routing audio I/O.

The only time I experienced a problem was when I tried to replace a Raspberry Pi with the Tinker board in an application where I stream audio from another computer to the client (Pi or Tinker) over WiFi using gstreamer pipelines. In this role, the Tinker board had occasional and repeated audio dropouts. My guess is that perhaps the ALSA loopback card (which was needed) is not well implemented, or there are some ethernet releated I/O problems with streaming content. I gave up after an hour of testing some different hardware with the Tinkerboard and then put the Pi back.

Otherwise, it seems pretty good! The USB interface seems to work very well, and I would assume that your XMOS card should work just fine. I am using the "latest" OS from tinkerboarding.co.uk, which I think is release 2.0.4 (Debian based). I will try again when the next OS release is available.

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 24th January 2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 24th January 2018, 07:27 PM   #58
DPH is online now DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Great, thanks so much Charlie.

Asus TinkerHide this!Advertise here!