Which DAC for Raspberry Pi?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2xRCA output or SPDIF to DAC on the amp? Cheap option for a DAC HAT is a China special 5122. Or buy the real thing from IQaudio or HIFIBerry.

As for streaming.... Either SSD or USB drive with power is needed .... or store music on phone/tablet and upnp through through the pi2 using Bubbleupnp.

HTH

J.

I've been using a HiFiBerry DAC+ at work with a USB drive of ALAC files and Volumio. I find the sound a bit fatiguing and perhaps bright or bass-shy. (Graham Slee Novo as a headphone amp, which I think if anything errs the other way). I've pondered putting together a better power supply then the SMPC wall-wart, but I haven't seen anyone else complain about this DAC, so I wonder if I have something misconfigured... ?

Thanks,

Shayne

Have a look at the new Mamboberry DAC.

IMO the best of the quality HAT breed (Hifiberry/IQAudio/Audiohonics I-SabreV3).

We have been tweaking and discussing stuff around HAT DACs for quite some time.

Don't forget to plan for a (or two) good powersupply. Usually I recommend the iFi iPower.
Even though it's a switching supply, it's IMO better and cheaper then many linear supplies.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Bas.

You've seen what we've done with the Hifiberry DAC+ Pro.

There's a world (common sense) between the stock version
and a properly tweaked version. And there's quite a lot tweak
potential on that board.

The Duriosound doesn't even come with separate clocks and uses the
crappy RPI I2S as is, as far as I see.
Have you been able to compare it to the MamboBerry?
On the first glance the Duriosound DoubleMono thing looks a bit like a funny workaround,
a nice try. I wouldn't be tempted to place an order for that one.

The Duriosound doesn't even come with separate clocks and uses the
crappy RPI I2S as is, as far as I see.
What good are clocks if there is no audible difference? As you know I cannot hear the difference between the hifiberry with or without clocks. And to my tastes the Duriosound sounds much better than the hifiberry with clocks.

I have not been able to compare it to the MamboBerry.

Hi Guys,

Since we are on this hifiberry topic, i have a question (noob alert)

Currently i am using OSMC + Kodi to handle my music playback. Sometimes i do use the airplay function to play music from my iPhone to the Pi but as you would suspect, it would crappy.

Would adding a DAC like hifiberry improve the SQ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.