Turn external amp on using mouse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On a windows pc I would like to be able to turn an external amp on/off using
a mouse.

Using the pc's 12 volt dc supply as the source, and a mouse click to operate

a switch which would connect 12v to a 1/8 inch mono plugin. The amp would

have a matching plugin to accept the signal. Connect pc to amp with a

suitable cable.

Either a ready made to sell device or a diy circuit

Ideas?

Be interested to know how it turns out.
I was not speaking from any knowledge or experience - just I remembered seeing Velleman board in Maplin (UK electronics store).
Board is powered by USB so you will be limited to 5v signal or will need another power source for 12v.

russc (and anyone interested)

I found a device at Numato Lab | GPIO Relay And Sensor Modules for Automation called "1 Channel USB Powered Relay Module".

It is a populated board and connects to your pc with a usb cable. The onboard relay has two sets of NC/Comm/NO connections. The circuit, including the onboard relay,
is powered by the 5 volts available to usb connections on the pc.
A software driver is provided by the seller. After that driver is installed and the device is connected to a usb port, it appears under "Ports" in "Device Manager" as COM"X" - X being the number windows assigns to it. COM3 on my own.

I use the onboard relay to connect/disconnect an always on +12 volt source to the trigger-in on the amp.

Software is required to turn the relay on/off. I used "JustBasic", Just BASIC - Free programming language, and adapted sample code provided by numato labs. One routine to turn the relay on, another to turn it off. Finally, JustBasic makes it possible to change your programs, run under basic, into executable (exe) files. Now with a shortcut to "On.exe", another to "OFF.exe" I can control the amp.

Attachments

• On Off icons.jpg
    On Off icons.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 50
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.