Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2016, 01:02 AM   #1
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default IsolatorPi,something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator with DoP decoder

I designed a Raspberry Pi I2S adapter a couple of month ago and shared many PCBs for free with this DIY community. Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter
It was really nice. Community members and I were very happy with it. But Iím still worried about sharing noisy PC ground with audio system.

Another thing is that I'm very interested in playing native DSD music through Raspberry Pi. Iíve heard that the latest version of MPD already has native DSD support. But after downloading the software, I was very disappointed to find that the native DSD is only supported over USB interface. This has also been confirmed by Tim. It means the native DSD feature works only with a USB streamer for now. However that's not the way I use a PRi.

And the third thing is the ODROID. I bought a C1+ because a friend of mine recommended. It has a dedicated I2S port (which is incompatible with PRi). It also runs faster than RPi. I'm quite happy with it. The only issue is that none of the RPi audio gears will work with ODROID because of that I2S port.

So I came up with a new idea: An I2S/DSD isolator HAT with optional native DSD decoder for Raspberry Pi and ODROID.

It will have following functions:

1. To isolate ground and all other signals between RPi/ODROID and audio system.

2. Compatible with both RPi and OROID.

3. Supports native DSD playback by plugging in an optional DSD decoder daughter board. The daughter board will convert DoP stream back into native DSD stream bit-perfect at real-time. In this case, all current SD image such as Volumio, MoodeAudio, RuneAudio, and most others, will have native DSD play-back features.

4. Raspberry Pi DACs and other audio gears will work with ODROID (may need software support for configuration).

5. Has isolated I2C control bus for RPi DACs, as well as optional I2C EEPROM ID bus. It will work very well with all RPi DACs and other audio gears by flowing Raspberry Pi HAT design specification.

Since I'm working on multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO PCB, hopefully I can place a bulk order.

Here is the block diagram. I will be finishing up this project soon.

Ian
Click the image to open in full size.
IsolatorPiBlockDiagram
by Ian, on Flickr

Last edited by iancanada; 26th May 2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Picture update
Old 14th May 2016, 02:11 AM   #2
Ben Mah is offline Ben Mah  Canada
diyAudio Member

Great idea. I see an Odroid C2 in my future so the isolator would be welcomed. I don't need the DSD daughter board though.
Old 15th May 2016, 05:08 PM   #3
Skip Pack is offline Skip Pack  United States
diyAudio Member

This is very attractive to me. The obvious application would be connection to an adjacent "nodac" device for creation of a DSD-only ethernet dac.

Skip
Old 16th May 2016, 12:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Raspberry Pi/ODROID I2S/DSD isolator HAT PCB layout

Raspberry Pi/ODROID I2S/DSD isolator HAT PCB layout

(J5 is for optional DoP DSD decoder daughter board)
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: png RpiI2SDSDIsolatorPCBtop.png (87.0 KB, 4764 views)
Old 16th May 2016, 09:23 AM   #5
gwingn is offline gwingn  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As you are working on multi-channel Ian - will this just provide a single isolated i2s output from the C2 or multiple? (in my case I'd need three, otherwise I have to go the usb streaming route)
Old 16th May 2016, 11:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwingn View Post
As you are working on multi-channel Ian - will this just provide a single isolated i2s output from the C2 or multiple? (in my case I'd need three, otherwise I have to go the usb streaming route)
This isolator has ability of another two I2S date signals. But I can not find any software/image for multi-channel application via GPIO. Please let me know if there is any. Thanks.

Regards,
Ian
Old 16th May 2016, 02:50 PM   #7
kukynas is offline kukynas  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

ian: will it be possible to directly attach this as daughter board on C1+/ C2 ? thanks...
Old 16th May 2016, 02:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukynas View Post
ian: will it be possible to directly attach this as daughter board on C1+/ C2 ? thanks...
Hi Kukynas,

Yes, it will be attached to C1+/C2 as a daughter board. It was designed this way.

Ian
Old 16th May 2016, 09:45 PM   #9
gwing2 is offline gwing2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
This isolator has ability of another two I2S date signals. But I can not find any software/image for multi-channel application via GPIO. Please let me know if there is any. Thanks.

Regards,
Ian
I imagine that we would need base audio device drivers for the extra GPIO i2s channels which could then be utilised via alsa and any apps on top of that.

There is some discussion here [URL="http://http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=16113"] that they have no real plans to implement multichannel i2s. However the source for their current driver is here [URL="http://https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/commit/ba0b2bf76de2725fcd384f45bf9de7a70c21f8bd"[/URL] and that does have configuration lines for the number of channels ranging from 1->8 so there is some prep work there.

This unfortunately goes way beyond my level of tinkering - and AFAIK there isn't anything ready built and available.
Old 17th May 2016, 09:35 AM   #10
supra is offline supra  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ian
Well you know me as a long term admirer of your gear so you can count me in, but multi-channel doesn't interest me, stereo is fine.

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoderHide this!Advertise here!