Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoder
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2016, 12:49 PM   #21
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra View Post
But still applicable for those of us who want to use FIFO,iso,double clock,PCm board with Odroid?
Hi supra,

Absolutely, the u.fl output connectors are designed for audio applications with FIFO KIT. GPIO pins are still available if you prefer DIP connector. It will also work for ODROID without any additional configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon dart View Post
Hi Ian,

Excuse me if I'm being dim but I'm unclear from your block diagram. Will both the 3.3v and the 5v feeds to the stacked Rpi HAT DAC be isolated from the Rpi and fed regulated power from your isolator?
Hi Simon,

Yes, both new 5V and new 3.3V power will be fed into RPi DAC HAT that stacks on top of the this isolator board. New power supplies are 100% isolated from PRi. Linear power supply would be highly recommended in this case.

Regards,
Ian
Old 20th May 2016, 05:38 PM   #22
gwikse is offline gwikse  Norway
diyAudio Member

Do you have an image of the rear side of the board?
I am creating a sketchup model of it and would like to place components correctly if there are any on the rear side (I take it that there is a header for the pi and one for i2s from the Odroid)?

+bump below

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwikse View Post
Great project. Following with interest. Will you offer these boards as bare pcb`s or fully/partially populated pcb`s ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IAN RPI isolator.jpg (707.2 KB, 1061 views)
Old 20th May 2016, 05:43 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you have an image of the rear side of the board?
I am creating a sketchup model of it and would like to place components correctly if there are any on the rear side (I take it that there is a header for the pi and one for i2s from the Odroid)?

+bump below
Hi Gwikse,

That's amazing! Exactly as same as what I want

How did you do it? Altium?

Ian
Old 20th May 2016, 08:57 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Its a 3d sketch with no other function than to illustrate visually the board in a 3d model. I use that for planning my builds. Makes it easier to spot any problems with physicla locations of differnt boards inside an enclosure. I use sketchup for that as it is easy and fast for this sort of thing and has a large collection of models online for download.

I just simply took the picture from your post and made it into a textured material (paint) and painted the surface of a board (copied from a RPI model so that the mounting holes line up) and populated the board with the components that looks correct. When you put up a parts list I will adjust the model so that it is more accurate.

I did the same thing with a lot of other boards. Took the picture of a bare PCB and populated it according to the parts list. That way it is easy to illustrate things without having to take a photo of an actual board.

Anyways, I am looking forward to seing the finished solution, and incorporating it into my DAC solution (with i2c control of an ESS9018).
Old 20th May 2016, 11:07 PM   #25
guglielmope is offline guglielmope  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I think that an isolated serial port would be very interesting for the people that are using SOEKRIS Dam 1021 for control of this dac.
Regards
Guglielmo
Old 21st May 2016, 01:41 AM   #26
Odal3 is offline Odal3  United States
diyAudio Member

Following along with much interest!
Old 21st May 2016, 03:00 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Its a 3d sketch with no other function than to illustrate visually the board in a 3d model. I use that for planning my builds. Makes it easier to spot any problems with physicla locations of differnt boards inside an enclosure. I use sketchup for that as it is easy and fast for this sort of thing and has a large collection of models online for download.

I just simply took the picture from your post and made it into a textured material (paint) and painted the surface of a board (copied from a RPI model so that the mounting holes line up) and populated the board with the components that looks correct. When you put up a parts list I will adjust the model so that it is more accurate.

I did the same thing with a lot of other boards. Took the picture of a bare PCB and populated it according to the parts list. That way it is easy to illustrate things without having to take a photo of an actual board.

Anyways, I am looking forward to seing the finished solution, and incorporating it into my DAC solution (with i2c control of an ESS9018).
Thanks gwikse, it looks very nice. Very smart idea. Maybe I'll try it later.

Good weekend.
Ian
Old 21st May 2016, 02:37 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I just uploaded the WIP model.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/index.html

Search for "iancanada" and you should find it. I hope it is ok that I used your nick as search-tag?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rpiI2Siancanada.jpg (313.3 KB, 974 views)

Last edited by gwikse; 21st May 2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 21st May 2016, 07:02 PM   #29
newmatrix is offline newmatrix  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Conclusion I2S bus from Pi-circuit board has a lot of jitter, here measuring Comparing the I2S Capabilities of the RPi and Odroid C1+, in ODROID slightly better than of Pi, but all the same level > 1ns (1000ps), Crazy Audio approximately 800ps showed Raspberry Pi I2S output working, сompare Amanero USB board has 2 ps.
Quality I2S bus can correct board, something like a synchronous reclock no frills for the price, such as here Master clock and isolator for the MiniDSP USBStreamer
Obviously, the Ian's FIFO board is the best solution, but it is very expensive compared to PI boards.
ODROID can only operate as a master I2S bus, but the Raspberry Pi can be as a slave on the I2S and Raspberry Pi has Blck input, BeagleBone Black has MCLK input to the SOC.
It may be cheaper to make the isolator/reclock under the scheme, only the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RECLOCK.JPG (102.4 KB, 966 views)

Last edited by newmatrix; 21st May 2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 22nd May 2016, 12:19 AM   #30
Ben Mah is offline Ben Mah  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think many of us are followers of Ian so we already have his FiFO and clock boards (and also I2S to PCM board with reclocking too). I do, so I would not need reclocking added to this board. I just want the isolation and interface with the computer board.

Perhaps reclocking can be added as a daughter board for those that want reclocking.

Something cool for Raspberry Pi/ODROID: I2S/DSD isolator HAT with native DSD decoderHide this!Advertise here!