Linear power supply for Pi3 and Hifiberry Digi+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to run both my Pi3 and Hifiberry Digi+ off a linear supply to see if it makes any difference in sound. My intention is to try powering both the Pi3 and Digi+ off a single power supply and then try powering the Pi3 and Digi+ separately. I just want to doublecheck with this forum before fry something.

Powering both Pi3 and Digi+ from same linear power supply:

All I need to do is supply 5V to P3 on the Digi+ board from power supply #1? This would supply power to both the Pi3 and Digi+. As I understand it, the Digi+ also needs 3.3V so it will still be able to get this from the Pi3 converting the 5V I am feeding it through the Digi+?

Powering Pi3 and Digi+ from separate power supplies:
I understand that the Digi+ needs both 5V and 3.3V. I need to still supply 5V to P3 on the Digi+ board. Do I then supply 3.3V to pin 1 of the GPIO on the Digi+?

I then need to cut pins 1, 2, 4 from the GPIO header on the Pi3 so that I am not providing power to the Digi+ board from 2 different power supplies. To power the Pi3, I just need to plug my power supply #2 into the micro usb port.

Thank you in advance for the help.

I want to run both my Pi3 and Hifiberry Digi+ off a linear supply to see if it makes any difference in sound. My intention is to try powering both the Pi3 and Digi+ off a single power supply and then try powering the Pi3 and Digi+ separately. I just want to doublecheck with this forum before fry something.

Powering both Pi3 and Digi+ from same linear power supply:

All I need to do is supply 5V to P3 on the Digi+ board from power supply #1? This would supply power to both the Pi3 and Digi+. As I understand it, the Digi+ also needs 3.3V so it will still be able to get this from the Pi3 converting the 5V I am feeding it through the Digi+?

Powering Pi3 and Digi+ from separate power supplies:
I understand that the Digi+ needs both 5V and 3.3V. I need to still supply 5V to P3 on the Digi+ board. Do I then supply 3.3V to pin 1 of the GPIO on the Digi+?

I then need to cut pins 1, 2, 4 from the GPIO header on the Pi3 so that I am not providing power to the Digi+ board from 2 different power supplies. To power the Pi3, I just need to plug my power supply #2 into the micro usb port.

Thank you in advance for the help.
What linear PSU did you decide on using for this project? I'm wanting to do the same thing, and would like to know what solution you used. Purchased, or DIY?

redjr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.