Best way to get the best out of lossless files? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2016, 11:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best way to get the best out of lossless files?

Hello all,

Sorry that I know I can get this info from many threads in here, but I could not alchemy them into one answer I want.

I have couple hundred CDs ripped into lossless format: WAV and apple lossless. I have to work out of country for about two years, but I wouldn't carry all of my audio gears with me.

So I will carry one HDD, one compact integrated amp that has 24/192 DAC (this is what I am building right now using LM3886). Speakers, I haven't decided yet.

What is the best way to get best sound quality out of these lossless files in a compact form factor? Laptop + USB DAC? Raspberry Pi? Or is it better to buy a dedicated music server?
Let me say the budget is around 1,000 USD, but it's flexible.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 18th April 2016, 12:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A laptop, DAC, and headphones sounds like a good portable solution to me. You could buy an external USB hard drive to store all the audio files. You could certainly use a Raspberry Pi and connect the external USB drive, but it won't have an interface without adding one (keyboard, mouse, monitor).

A small format, not very powerful laptop (choose one with long battery life!) with a good quality USB DAC, the external USB drive, and good quality headphones will provide high quality playback during your travels.
Old 18th April 2016, 01:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
A HDD seems an unncessary extravagance given you only have a couple of hundred CDs worth of audio. When ripping to FLAC (ALAC is presumably quite similar) then I get 3 to 4 CDs per Gb. So half a dozen 32Gb TF cards would be all you'd need. Get a mobile phone with a decent audio output and which accepts a TF card, this would work fine as a source.
Old 18th April 2016, 02:24 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
...FLAC (ALAC is presumably quite similar)
ALAC is FLAC but still be improved, AFAIK FLAC development has ceased. Given the size of HDs these days, and how little music you are taking i'd suggest AIFF (like WAV but with explicit metadata) -- i had most of my CDs ripped to ALAC but in the end redid them all in AIFF. ALAC requires decompression on playback but requires about as much diskspace. I couldn't see be away from my laptop so i'd use that as source -- you already have a DAC, as long as it is USB or Firewire you are probably fine.

I am putting a similar road-trip system together, and would look at something like the Dragonfly to go with my (well executed) 3118 amp and uMar-Ken6 speakers.

dave
Old 18th April 2016, 02:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sure my Shure SE425 earphones will do their hard work for me during this out-of-country stationing.

What's the downside of using headphone-out port of laptop to feed music into an amp? Isn't it better to have a DAC with dedicated RCA output?
Old 18th April 2016, 02:44 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
What's the downside of using headphone-out port of laptop to feed music into an amp? Isn't it better to have a DAC with dedicated RCA output?
You are using the computer's DAC and an unneeded amplifier stage. Best to have a USB or Firewire DAC (USB for a small DAC)

dave
Old 18th April 2016, 02:47 AM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Firefly dac works quite well with macs & pcs and even android phones or tablets.
Old 18th April 2016, 03:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You are using the computer's DAC and an unneeded amplifier stage. Best to have a USB or Firewire DAC (USB for a small DAC)

dave
Right, the music goes through an unnecessary amplifier stage, I forgot about that.
Thanks,
Doug
Old 18th April 2016, 03:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Firefly dac works quite well with macs & pcs and even android phones or tablets.
I would guess you meant DragonFly? It seems it has amplifier stage in the signal path. Or doesn't it? I would rather use headphone-out of PC/MAC for headphone, but would use dedicated DAC (without amplification) to feed loudspeaker amplifier.
Thanks,
Doug
Old 18th April 2016, 03:05 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Firefly dac
You mean DragonFly Kevin?

Click the image to open in full size.

USB Digital Analog Converter

dave