wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system

@michaelvv: Sorry for late response. The main reason for releasing the live distro is that this way I have have the fixed environment for the player. In other words, instead of making player compatible with a number of Linux distributions I can concentrate on performance optimization.

wtfplay-live 0.6.2 is now available

I am happy to let you know that the new release of wtfplay-live is now
available. The ISO images and the release notes can be found in the usual
wtfplay-project.org

Also, the support for DFF and AIFF files is nearly finished, so expect the
new release soon. Initially I planned to include these features in this
release, but the code is not sufficiently tested.

Anyway - have a fun with this release. I hope that you will like it.

F

Hi frd_ .

Wtfplay-dsd (default settings) sounds warmer, fuller than 0.6: without loss of detail. I like it.

Good work !

Thanks. Luca.

P.s.: in the "to do list", if possible I suggest to insert the possibility to save (export/import) the playlist: for example, I had a long playlist, and changing version I have lost it. This is not a big problem, obviously: it only a suggestion.

Hi everybody.
I booted wtf 0.6.2 on my MacBookPro retina display....
Due to the high display resolution I have some reading difficulty.... any suggestion?

Just after boot
2_booting.jpg

Player active
3_playing.jpg

Hi Franz,

I have a solution for you. I tested this with Thinkpad T420 and T470 and it works on those laptos. I do not about your Macbook, but I see no reason why it should not work.

The solution requires specifying the desired screen resolution at the boot time. I attach some screenshots. My annotation are in red.

Boot your computer in UEFI mode until you see the wtfplay-live bootloader screen. Then select your kernel and press e key.

uefi_boot_1.png

This will display another window where you can edit the boot parameters:

uefi_boot_2.png

Move your cursor to the second line (with arrows) and type:

set gfxpayload=800x800

This parameter will tell the Linux kernel what screen resolution to use.

uefi_boot_3.png

You can specify different screen resolutions, for example 1024x768 with

set gfxpayload=1024x768

After the parameter is typed press F10 or CTRL-x to boot.

I hope that this will work for you.

Reporting

Hi frd_. Wtfplay is great, I love everything that's minimal, congratulations on the project, and thank you for sharing your work with us enthusiasts!
I would like to ask you if you could implement shortcuts in the coming versions to turn off the monitor completely! (it would be very useful in notebook)
a good thing would be to prevent the sleep of the display from which awakening is sometimes complicated (better if reproduction always stays in the foreground)
I would also like to point out a bug: during boot, Wtfplay, a few times, my dac (DENAFRIPS ARES - Amanero) is triggered by a fake impulse, in which I read on the dsd x 8 display, and the sound coming out of the loudspeakers, is that of a fm radio that does not find the station, to stop it, I have to send a file in play, and then press Q to stop it and go back to silence.
Thanks for your attention
Greetings
Anto

Last edited:
Hello,
I would like to install Wtfplay to a local hard disk Partition, and not to a whole hard drive, because I would like to preserve the other partitions, and the actual Grub configuration.

The manual states that the installation using DD command can be done only to a whoole hard disk. (dd if=wtfplay-live-0.4.1-core2.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M)

Do anyone know if there is a way to do it?

I chanced upon this player by accident,the xmos card of my usb dac died a week ago. I need music while working but I can’t seem to find a compatible software for the built in realtek sound device of my audio pc. I was browsing here and decided to give this a try and boy was i surprised! I have used and tweaked a lot of players both for mac & pc over the years,from Amarra,Audirvana, JRMC,JPlay to HQPlayer,Bughead Emperor etc and I must say this has the blackest background among all of them. The details is astonishing and I’m just using the built in ALC1150 in my mobo.

To frd_ you have done a great job on this! I dont mind the basic interface, the keyboard shortcuts are very easy to remember. Don’t stray from prioritizing SQ over other features. Congrats!

Last edited: