What's a good sound card ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive been using an M Audio AP192. I have it connected to an amp and speakers out in my shop. The card sounds Great but it's getting old. Anything new that's good as the AP192 ? This is a secondary system in my workshop, I play Flacs, mp3's and Pandora One. I run an RME UCX in my studio, im hoping to avoid buying an interface for out in my woodshop . Against better judgement I tried a sound blaster Z ....it was just pitiful. ...lol Tnx

It's just getting old, drivers will eventually be a prob . Also, I run a sub and also a little cube speaker by my monitor, I run that when it gets late. The ap192 mixer and outputs don't allow me to switch and control it all, I have an inline line volume to adjust the sub...and I have to unplug if I wana use just the cube. I want the clarity of the ap192 but
more outs and more control over them. A basic EQ would be nice, I like the 8k-16k rolled off 1Db . I have a rack EQ , don't really want that out in the shop. The sound blaster had 3 line outs, I hooked my amp, my sub and my cube....problem is the SB-z doesn't give you simple control over its outs, it adds some kind of chorusing to try and make stereo audio files sound like "surround" ....it's horrible. If you disable 5.1 , you lose channels. Sound quality in straight 2.1 was pretty bad. Thing was just a turd. Was thinking about a small outboard mixer, but it's the outs I need, not line/mic inputs.

I have pretty much moved to USB interfaces rather than I/O cards. After spending huge $'s on CardD and then Lynx Audio cards only to not have new drivers developed for later operating systems I'll take my chances with USB. Recently purchased a Focusrite and have been very pleased with the sound quality.

Robert

I have pretty much moved to USB interfaces rather than I/O cards. After spending huge $'s on CardD and then Lynx Audio cards only to not have new drivers developed for later operating systems I'll take my chances with USB. Recently purchased a Focusrite and have been very pleased with the sound quality.

Robert
Which Focusrite ? And how are you using it ? You running straight stereo, 2.0 ? 2.1 sub ? I was looking at a Steinberg UR44 , it will give me the "outs" I want and I know the UR series is 100% pro, and they keep up on drivers. I have a UR22 and its pretty close to my RME UCX in sound quality. I also looked lastnight at a Focusrite 6i6 and an M Audio M track Quad. This should be simple ...haha

I believe the Focusrite is a 6i8 which was recently discontinued. The several other models I have listened to sound the same to my ears so would guess any of them would be fine.

I am using is a an input to several multitrack recording software programs and also as an output for the same and for cleaning up old tape and LPs which have been dumped into the PC. For a time it was hooked into my main stereo as playback with the jRiver media software until I got an old XP system to work with the Lynx card and jRiver software.

The Focusrite box also has MIDI which I have used with band-in-a-box and similar programs.

RME, Tascam, Focusrite and others make nice products these days.

Robert

I believe the Focusrite is a 6i8 which was recently discontinued. The several other models I have listened to sound the same to my ears so would guess any of them would be fine.

I am using is a an input to several multitrack recording software programs and also as an output for the same and for cleaning up old tape and LPs which have been dumped into the PC. For a time it was hooked into my main stereo as playback with the jRiver media software until I got an old XP system to work with the Lynx card and jRiver software.

The Focusrite box also has MIDI which I have used with band-in-a-box and similar programs.

RME, Tascam, Focusrite and others make nice products these days.

Robert
Sounds good , and thanks for the response . I've gone back to the AP192 for now ...just using an RCA splitter off it's second output and two PAC LC-1 line level vol controls. Main out goes to my amp , second output goes to the rca splitter and vol pots so I can control the sub and small cube that I use if I don't wana run the amp. Kind of a ram shackle setup but sounds plenty good for out in the shop . On a side note about the entry level interfaces you are using , they are very good, better than any consumer sound card ...you should check out the Steinberg UR22 or UR44 . In addition to my RME UCX , I have a second pc in my studio with a UR22 , I use it only to play soft synths and vst out into an old '66 Fender Super Reverb tube amp and record them analog with a Radial DI box and also a mic , kind of makes them "analog" . That little UR22 is every bit as good as the RME . If you needed a few more outs/ins the UR44 would do ...either Steinberg is a 100% pro level audio device , and they're cheap . And Reaper is very good for recording ...100% Pro and low price although Audition would be my first choice for doing vinyl and tape recordings you mention. Audition has a feature called "Scientific filter" which I've used often . A lady recently gave me a horrible pocket mini cassette recording of her grand daughter singing at a dinner ...I sampled the sound of the silverware clanging on dinner plates and room noise , then used that to filter out that noise . Got a surprising result from a horrible recording of a really good young female singer .

Last edited:
Being totally illiterate regarding computer sound will the cards above work in a 4000K desktop iMac? If not I suppose I will need to search!

Thanks.
Have a look on the Steinberg website , check their forums ? You could also call ADK in kentucky , they deal in Pro Audio for the recording industry. They are regular guys when you call. Good people and they would definitely know if it'd work . While the UR22 and UR44 are designed as a small recording interface, they are top shelf for playback, good as anything costing 2-3x more, and Steinberg usually keeps up on drivers. Unless you are looking at recording vocals, instruments and providing different headphone monitor mixes, you don't need RME for 3x the money. Good luck .

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.