CM6331 as digital interface between PC and Amp or a HDMI-SPDIF/COAX converter? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2016, 06:18 AM   #1
Amii is offline Amii  Australia
diyAudio Member

Question CM6331 as digital interface between PC and Amp or a HDMI-SPDIF/COAX converter?

Hi there,

I have a Marantz AV9000 and SR4300 that I use via the 9.5 stereo out from a couple of laptops.

I would like to go digital and have been considering the CM6331A, my primary desire is for good quality sound, as you can safely assume.

I have looked at HDMI-SPDIF, HDMI-COAX converters and USB DAC boxes. Is it safe to assume that the USB DAC, such as the CM6331A will give me better quality and a higher bitrate than converters?

Is this chip optimal for my installation? (I only use the AV9000 for THX with movies, normally I use the SR4300 on its own for music)

I will also be switching to coax/spdif between the SR4300 and AV9000)

Any ideas, corrections or suggestions?
Thanks for any help.
Old 4th February 2016, 07:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amii View Post
Hi there,

Is it safe to assume that the USB DAC, such as the CM6331A will give me better quality and a higher bitrate than converters?
Hey, the CM6331A is a USB interface. It will give you USB to i2s/coax/toslink. Your Marantz receiver will have DACs already built into them and you could hook up a CM6331a card to your receiver's digital input (via coax or toslink) . I am using a card I got off ebay: CM6631A 24bit 192kHz USB to Coaxial Optical Fiber SPDIF I2S Converter DAC Board | eBay

This card works really well and sounds great with my dac for normal stereo sound. Not sure if it'll do all the Dolby digital formats. I use it for stereo without upsampling. It supports up to 192k.

Hide this!Advertise here!