Is there a music player with an o.s.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a music player with an o.s. Solved thanks

Hello
Is there a music player with its own operating system, rather like daphile but isnt a server needing to be controlled over the network.
I know daphile will work well with a keyboard, monitor and mouse permanantly connected but its pretty basic for a decent music player.
Thanks
thyristor44

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Any computer with a keyboard, mouse, monitor, storage (harddrive, etc), and dac (or sound card) can be a standalone music player. Also, any operating system may be used. Then all you need is music player software that is compatible with your operating system.

For instance, I have a Chromebox with Debian as an operating system, and MPD as a music player. An USB harddrive holds my music and a USB dac provides conversion to analogue. I can control it with keyboard and mouse or access it through my network. I choose to access it through the network to avoid having the keyboard and mouse around, but network access is not a requirement for the music player to work.

Alternatively, Windows or Mac or other Linux distributions may be used as an operating system as long as a system appropriate software music player is installed.

Last edited:
Volumio is an OS that is a dedicated media player. However, it's not run locally, but from any web browser on your network, or any of a number of MPD apps or AirPlay from your phone.

Another option would be to install a minimal Linux installation and then run something like jriver, which is well-worth the cost.

if you connect a Daphile PC to your TV and startup the onscreen display setting you can even control it from there. Assuming you have a touch-screen TV :) (wireless keyboard/mouse will do the trick also)

Also handy: install JiveLite on a regular PC and control Daphile as it is a SqueezeBox Touch device.

Off topic : no one is aware please of a Logitech Media Server distro based which is compatible with the SB Duet remote (I love this remote :) with its circular paddle and little screen) ?

Could be fun if a GNU distro could embeded the Duet remote controll :cool: !

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Off topic : no one is aware please of a Logitech Media Server distro based which is compatible with the SB Duet remote (I love this remote :) with its circular paddle and little screen) ?

Could be fun if a GNU distro could embeded the Duet remote controll :cool: !

hi Eldam,

I am not 100% sure if I understand what you are asking but...

As far as I know, all versions of Logitech Media Server support the SB Duet remote.

The SB Duet Remote is a Linux based computer using SqueezeOS like the SB Touch. It could be programmed to do other things but would it be worthwhile? It also has an under utilised Wolfson WM8750 DAC and I don't think it has IR like most remotes.

regards

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, I didn't know that !

Yes, It is a wifi remote using tcp/ip that's why I asked if it was possible remoting with it but without the Duet or Touch box: if it was abble to see a LMS on the local network and controll it!

Ok 100% soft compatible as far as the distro compile LMS without any change I assume ! With the Duet, it was hard sometimes to connect the both together in relation the router you have, and you had often to push the button on the front plane of the Duet player Appliance !

Have to try this remote on Daphile which has LMS if I understood ! Less speey than a modern smartphone, but always here in the living room !

For people wanting a Logitech SqueezeBox like : this one is a cheap one (Odroidc1+ & its dac combo) : http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143729448865 ( but you need a local Network, your explorer on your laptop, smartphone, etc , to let it play : http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143703355573 , an alternative to the one RasberryPi is making !

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.